IGNORED

Regular or stiff shafts?

Note: This thread is 1243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I normally shoot in the 91-98 range and I am currently taking lessons.  I was just curious what factors do you look at in determining if a stiff shaft or a regular shaft club is better for you?  I hit my 7 iron 135 carry, 6 iron is 145 carry and 5 iron is 155 carry.  I am not the longest hitter but usually make good contact every time with the ball.  Based on any of this info am I better with regular flex over stiff flex?  if so, how far off am I to probably being at the point where I would need to upgrade to a stiff flex?

Have you looked into getting a senior flex? It might help with getting a little more spin and getting the ball to carry a little more.  Not really sure why you're thinking a stiffer flex. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, RWalker84 said:

I normally shoot in the 91-98 range and I am currently taking lessons.  I was just curious what factors do you look at in determining if a stiff shaft or a regular shaft club is better for you?  I hit my 7 iron 135 carry, 6 iron is 145 carry and 5 iron is 155 carry.  I am not the longest hitter but usually make good contact every time with the ball.  Based on any of this info am I better with regular flex over stiff flex?  if so, how far off am I to probably being at the point where I would need to upgrade to a stiff flex?

Stiff flex isn't an "upgrade", the appropriate shaft for you swing is.  Whenever you are ready to get new irons make sure to do a fitting and you can try shafts with dozen of different weight and flex profiles.

1 hour ago, RWalker84 said:

Im fairly new to golf and I am taking lessons so im just wondering if its likely if my swing shaft needs will be changing any time soon?

Maybe so..maybe not.  I've been playing R-flex steel, in my irons, since I got my first full set.  That was in 1972.  As long as a club feels right, and the good shots behave as intended, it doesn't matter what the shaft says on it.  The proper shaft, for anyone, is going to be somewhere between too long and too short, too whippy and too stiff, too heavy and too light.  

• Like 1

Before you start swapping out shafts get some lessons. It’s money better spent. A fitting, at some point, would help determine what shafts suit your swing best. All shafts labeled as “stiff” vary quite a bit 

How old are you?

Do you play other sport? (baseball, hockey)

Reason I ask:

If your swing is still developing and your not a senior and play (or had played) other sports then I'd go with the stiffer flex. Logic says that once you figure out a proper delivery you're club head speed should increase; assuming your naturally athletic and young (ish).

Lots of variables, but those were the two points i most considered when isold clubs to customers, that where just starting out.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally believe it or not, play regular flex. Though my AMTs play stiffer than the Dynamic Gold shafts (it's only a small amount). I hit my 7-iron usually about 165 yards and I play regular, Most of these guys on the site are going to think I bought my irons at the wrong flex.

As usual, there is a point to my rambling. If you are new to the game, typically most competent instructors will tell you to go with a softer flex, unless there is something with your swing and how you load the club or your tempo.

All shafts are not created equal... For instance, a Project X 5.5 which is supposed to be a "regular" flex is actually stiffer than a True Temper Dynamic Gold S300. And that's not a fib. Google, "golf shaft FCM chart" and you'll see what I mean.

On 2/24/2018 at 12:40 PM, RWalker84 said:

Im fairly new to golf and I am taking lessons so im just wondering if its likely if my swing shaft needs will be changing any time soon?

Depends upon the shaft, transition tempo and other factors.

13 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I personally believe it or not, play regular flex. Though my AMTs play stiffer than the Dynamic Gold shafts (it's only a small amount). I hit my 7-iron usually about 165 yards and I play regular, Most of these guys on the site are going to think I bought my irons at the wrong flex.

As usual, there is a point to my rambling. If you are new to the game, typically most competent instructors will tell you to go with a softer flex, unless there is something with your swing and how you load the club or your tempo.

All shafts are not created equal... For instance, a Project X 5.5 which is supposed to be a "regular" flex is actually stiffer than a True Temper Dynamic Gold S300. And that's not a fib. Google, "golf shaft FCM chart" and you'll see what I mean.

This information is true. I work part time for nameless retailer that does club fittings. Your best bet is to find one of these local stores and find out some of your numbers (swing speed, ball speed, launch, etc.). You can find out pretty quickly and doesn't cost you a dime. Tell D*c$ I sent ya!

Note: This thread is 1243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!