IGNORED

What’s with all these stupid stakes?

GJT
Note: This thread is 2241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Searched for info on this...nothing showed up.

So who needs yellow, red and white stakes. What the heck is a yellow stake anyway?

New rules:

1) Lose a ball-lose a stroke. Drop where ball “exits” the course.

2) Move a ball-lose a stroke.

There. Isn’t that easier....and faster!

Enjoy

Red and Yellow are almost the same, white you have to hit again or have hit a provisional.

How hard is that?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Red and Yellow are almost the same, white you have to hit again or have hit a provisional.

How hard is that?

Re Yellow stakes...so why 2 colours.

Re White stakes...so why lose the distance.

Btw I have yet to read an explanation of Yellow stakes that I can understand.

:)

That’s fine for a Saturday foursome where you all agree and no one breaks 100 or keeps a serious handicap. The rules are fine the way they are otherwise though. Different degrees of penalties make you really think and strategize on a golf course.

Example: OB Right and water left? Hard hole for sure, but better to miss left than right to avoid stroke and distance. 

6 minutes ago, GJT said:

Re Yellow stakes...so why 2 colours.

Re White stakes...so why lose the distance.

:)

“Water Hazards Marked with Yellow Stakes – The first thing to do after you’ve hit your ball into the water (assuming you aren’t going to try and play it), is to take a one-shot penalty. After you’ve done that, you have three options:

Option 1: Play your next shot by dropping a ball nearest to the point where your last stroke was played. If you were on the tee box, you have the option to re-tee.

Option 2: Identify the spot where your ball last crossed the water hazard and drop as far back as you want in between that spot and the pin.

Option 3: If available, go to the designated drop zone.”

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

33 minutes ago, GJT said:

As @Lihu indicated, yellow stakes (or lines in the grass) are for a water hazard.  The red stakes are for a lateral water hazard, which gives you more options for relief than a regular water hazard--so it's to your benefit to know the difference:

As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

Here's a video (3 1/2 minutes) that explains the difference:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/videos/2015/12/24/rules-of-golf-explained--water-hazards-4673771888001.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 hour ago, GJT said:

So who needs yellow, red and white stakes. What the heck is a yellow stake anyway?

New rules:

Enjoy

There are numerous threads on here concerning the rules of golf. You will find people to be in one of two camps concerning the rules of golf:

Traditionalists: Know the rules, (they are not hard to learn) enjoy playing by the rules, play every round by the rules, and defend the rules when attacked by someone like yourself. 

Casual Golfers: Haven't/ won't learn the rules, enjoy playing without any rules, don't play in any type of serious competition, often speak out about how dumb and unfair the rules are.

I am definitely part of the Traditionalist group. The rules of golf are not difficult to learn as I stated above, and playing within the rules takes no more time than playing without them. Personally, I don't care if you play by your made up rules, as long as you aren't doing it in a tournament where I am playing against you. Enjoy the game any way you want. But it grows tedious at best to listen to people complain about the rules when they haven't even tried to learn them.

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, GJT said:

New rules:

Enjoy

Do you ignore the snakes in Snakes and Ladders because it's easier and faster?

Losing distance on OB is one of golfs great debates. But it is what it is. Unless you're planning to play in tournaments or something, white ones are really the only ones you need to concern yourself if you're not interested in learning the rules of the other colors. If you hit it beyond a white state - reload from where you hit. Knowing the differences in red and yellow marked hazards can benefit you, but generally you'd be ok with playing from where it crossed if the ball is lost or unplayable if you prefer to simplify everything. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Losing distance on OB is one of golfs great debates. But it is what it is. Unless you're planning to play in tournaments or something, white ones are really the only ones you need to concern yourself if you're not interested in learning the rules of the other colors. If you hit it beyond a white state - reload from where you hit. Knowing the differences in red and yellow marked hazards can benefit you, but generally you'd be ok with playing from where it crossed if the ball is lost or unplayable if you prefer to simplify everything. 

Thanks for the input. I suppose re hitting from your existing spot might end in a better result, considering how ugly the lies around OB can be.

44 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

There are numerous threads on here concerning the rules of golf. You will find people to be in one of two camps concerning the rules of golf:

Traditionalists: Know the rules, (they are not hard to learn) enjoy playing by the rules, play every round by the rules, and defend the rules when attacked by someone like yourself. 

Casual Golfers: Haven't/ won't learn the rules, enjoy playing without any rules, don't play in any type of serious competition, often speak out about how dumb and unfair the rules are.

I am definitely part of the Traditionalist group. The rules of golf are not difficult to learn as I stated above, and playing within the rules takes no more time than playing without them. Personally, I don't care if you play by your made up rules, as long as you aren't doing it in a tournament where I am playing against you. Enjoy the game any way you want. But it grows tedious at best to listen to people complain about the rules when they haven't even tried to learn them.

The likelihood of me playing in any tournament, against anyone, is exceedingly remote. Very sorry if you were insulted.

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

As @Lihu indicated, yellow stakes (or lines in the grass) are for a water hazard.  The red stakes are for a lateral water hazard, which gives you more options for relief than a regular water hazard--so it's to your benefit to know the difference:

Here's a video (3 1/2 minutes) that explains the difference:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/videos/2015/12/24/rules-of-golf-explained--water-hazards-4673771888001.html

Thanks. Watched the video and saved it to my Favorites. I think I finally get the difference. 

2 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

That’s fine for a Saturday foursome where you all agree and no one breaks 100 or keeps a serious handicap. The rules are fine the way they are otherwise though. Different degrees of penalties make you really think and strategize on a golf course.

Example: OB Right and water left? Hard hole for sure, but better to miss left than right to avoid stroke and distance. 

For sure. I don’t actually find OB that often since I am so conservative with play. Usually it is due to not knowing it is there. I hate it when that happens :) Thanks for the reply.

25 minutes ago, GJT said:

The likelihood of me playing in any tournament, against anyone, is exceedingly remote. 

You should try it, you would be surprised how much fun it is, not to mention you can meet some good guys.

26 minutes ago, GJT said:

Very sorry if you were insulted.

I was not insulted. I just believe differently from you. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator

In addition to what others have pointed out, @GJT… are you not aware of the 2019 proposed rules?

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Rulesman said:

Do you ignore the snakes in Snakes and Ladders because it's easier and faster?

Thank you, but I received a reply from someone who clarified the issue. I don’t cheat at anything but I complain about a lot :)

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

In addition to what others have pointed out, @GJT… are you not aware of the 2019 proposed rules?

Thanks again. I know that something is coming. With all the pressure to get people on the course and off the course, as quickly as possible, anything will help. My main complaint is that the rules can be so intimidating, that the high handicapper, who keep many golf courses financially viable, are being forced out of the game. No one wants to break the rules .... Btw I play by the rules.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, GJT said:

Thanks again. I know that something is coming. With all the pressure to get people on the course and off the course, as quickly as possible, anything will help. My main complaint is that the rules can be so intimidating, that the high handicapper, who keep many golf courses financially viable, are being forced out of the game. No one wants to break the rules .... Btw I play by the rules.

I don't know you, I don't play against you, etc. So ultimately I don't care too much.

But, two comments, that you may take as more negative than they are, but they're not really intended that way at all:

• How can you not have understood the differences between red, white, and yellow stakes? It takes a few minutes of Googling to learn this stuff. OB is easy, and red is the same as yellow except you have an additional option (or two if you want to count the opposite side of the hazard).
  • How can you say you play by the rules if you don't even know them very well?
3 hours ago, GJT said:

That makes no sense to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=difference+between+red+and+yellow+stakes+rules+golf

Including this video:

Lots of good resources there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the vide @Lihu.  After all this time, I didn't actually know the option to go anywhere on the line back from the hole to last point of entry for red stake (lateral) water hazards.  I could surely have saved myself some strokes over the years knowing that wasn't just for yellow stakes.  Whoops!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't know you, I don't play against you, etc. So ultimately I don't care too much.

But, two comments, that you may take as more negative than they are, but they're not really intended that way at all:

• How can you not have understood the differences between red, white, and yellow stakes? It takes a few minutes of Googling to learn this stuff. OB is easy, and red is the same as yellow except you have an additional option (or two if you want to count the opposite side of the hazard).
  • How can you say you play by the rules if you don't even know them very well?

That makes no sense to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=difference+between+red+and+yellow+stakes+rules+golf

Including this video:

Lots of good resources there.

I will never play against you, so you have no fear. I don’t improve my lie, I take my strokes, where necessary, to the best of my knowledge. I don’t ground my club in sand traps or hazards. I admit that I didn’t  know all my options on Yellow and Red stakes until @lihu posted a link. It was a very good explanation. I joined this forum to learn about my game and how to play the game better. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I look forward to the 2019 changes, whatever they may be. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!