Sign in to follow this  
golfdu

Driver Club Speed Standard Deviation?

Note: This thread is 967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 posts / 1394 viewsLast Reply

Is there an accurate bell curve for driver club speed? TrackMan data shows that the average male golfer swings it at 94 MPH, if that is the mean, how many MPH difference would 1 standard deviation be?

I don't know, but you could likely create one.

Thing is, as groups of golfers age, or whatever… it will shift and not be valid for very long.

94 MPH sounds about right. Consider three SDs to be about 113, or just about what PGA Tour pros average, and work from there. So every SD is about 6 MPH.

But who knows, Frankie…

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't know, but you could likely create one.

Thing is, as groups of golfers age, or whatever… it will shift and not be valid for very long.

94 MPH sounds about right. Consider three SDs to be about 113, or just about what PGA Tour pros average, and work from there. So every SD is about 6 MPH.

But who knows, Frankie…

3 sigma is about 0.3%, just curious if that many people swing 113mph?

14 minutes ago, Lihu said:

3 sigma is about 0.3%, just curious if that many people swing 113mph?

.3% of those who keep a HC maybe? Seems reasonable.

2 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

.3% of those who keep a HC maybe? Seems reasonable.

Yeah, makes sense. I was thinking more like 6 sigma, but I know too many people with high swing speeds for that to be true.

Also, PGA pros hit really accurately too.

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, makes sense. I was thinking more like 6 sigma, but I know too many people with high swing speeds for that to be true.

Also, PGA pros hit really accurately too.

Agreed. 

Off topic, but I’m trying to learn more about standard deviation so this is of some interest to me.

if the mean is 93.4. (Track man), then that’s pretty close. Right? Older players and long drive competitors would make up the “tails” of the curve?

5 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Older players and long drive competitors would make up the “tails” of the curve?

More than likely the long drive competitors would be outside the bell curve, even at 6 sigma.

35 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

More than likely the long drive competitors would be outside the bell curve, even at 6 sigma.

You're right Denny. It's even further out than 6 sigma.

From what I could find online....

The world long driver site shows 224 entries. I tried to get a number of people who play regularly or who keep a HC, but all I could find for a figure is 50 million world-wide golfers. I'd guess if it were broken down to adult men, the number would probably still be much less than 3.4 long drive competitors per million golfers.

Their swing speeds max out at 140 + mph but their average swing speed is probably less.

Except the rule of thumb type thinking about sigmas and percent of population and all assume the distribution is normal.  I'd be pretty surprised if the distribution of average driver club head speed for golfers who play at least somewhat regularly is symmetric, much less normally distributed.

Would be very interesting to see that kind of data from trackman.  Anyone ever seen that?  Do they have like a data science blog or anything?

15 hours ago, dennyjones said:

But if you included their data, and the data of my 83 year old mother's swing and others at that end, then it would be within 3 sigma of the mean. That is how stats work! :-P

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

But if you included their data, and the data of my 83 year old mother's swing and others at that end, then it would be within 3 sigma of the mean. That is how stats work! :-P

Right, because you’d have to leave room on the right side of long drivers for internet swing speeds, and on the left side of your Mother’s for mine.

4 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Right, because you’d have to leave room on the right side of long drivers for internet swing speeds, and on the left side of your Mother’s for mine.

I feel bad that you consider yourself an "outlier", but (un)fortunately those readings have virtually bearing on the stats. :whistle:

:-D

Note: This thread is 967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!