IGNORED

Your Greatest Athletic Achievements (Non-Golf)

HJJ003
Note: This thread is 1836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Earned 7 varsity letters in a decent-sized (AAA) high school in Ohio. Football and track. Hold the 8th grade and freshman discus record. I peaked in 8th grade as I stopped growing at about 5'-9". Picked all of the wrong events and positions as I assumed I might grow as tall as my dad who is 6'-2".

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me, it was 22years of officiating soccer for NCAA and FIFA.  I was VERY adept at running sideways and backwards! Sometime even 3 games a day during tournament season.  Skills included issuing cards without dropping any, making sure I kept fresh batteries in my watch, and bringing a spare ball inflator!  :beer:

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Best non-golf achievement would probably be before I hit puberty doing the high jump. I was only 4'10" tall and jumped 5'6" to win at the district track/field meet. 

Then I grew 5" in the next year or so and could never jump above 5'2" again, I guess my size started catching up to my legs.

1) The sport you competed in:  Swimming/Water Polo in high school

2) Your position/event if applicable: Breast Stroke and IM/Forward

3) Your achievement or achievements you want to passively (or not so passively ) brag about!: Second in regional finals, lost by 0.01 sec/scored 3 goals in one game.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, well nothing much in organized ball. I didn't like the fact that some fat, old dude would be telling me whether or not I was going to play. I was always among the first picked when choosing up sides for sandlot! I ran a 4.6 Forty in the 8th grade, and could dunk a volleyball back in the day. I was 5'9". the only reason I couldn't dunk a men's basketball was that my hands weren't large enough to palm it. 

And when I ran that 4.6 Forty, the idiot track coach wanted me to run distance events! Are you kidding me? I had absolutely no interest in doing that and quit! 

• 2 weeks later...

Football, Baseball, Wrestling

State champion (3x) in Wrestling. Quarterback on football team. Shortstop on Baseball team.

Played football in college (walk-on, eventually got a scholarship for last two years), wide receiver, special teams.

Played golf around all those other sports during high school and college. Worked at country club during summers in college.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Basic and AIT at Ft. Polk, LA. 😉 Otherwise I was a mediocre baseball player. Best to all you jocks, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Not much -

• some wins in karate - not many
  • a Tough Mudder in there
  • 3rd place US skydiving nationals (but only the intermediate category) - 4 way (this is belly to earth - 4 person speed formation building)
  • after 30 years in the sport, just lately learning to fly (competently) in new orientations, just holding this orientation is easy once you learn the muscle memory, but ...getting to that point......is a big win for a beginner (which I am) - I'm hoping this translates to competing again

2019-04-05 09_08_03-Windows Media Player.jpg

Bill - 

Finished 14th at the NCAA National Fencing Championships (Foil).   Missed the opportunity to participate in the Olympic trials when the U.S. boycotted the summer games in Moscow in 1980.  :-(

Not sure it’s an “athletic” achievement, but I played pool professionally for several years, though not as my primary occupation.  I’ve been beaten in tournaments by some of the best players in the world!  :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Taught myself how to juggle in college in lieu of attending account class.  Needless to say, I am not an accountant (nor a professional juggler).

Brian Kuehn

I'm more a jack of all trades likes others have stated.   In hockey, I did score a goal on Tim Thomas (when he was in high school).   I use to race motocross and was pretty good ( I only raced locally).   I played baseball in high school (ss/3rd).   Trained in karate (Shotokan) brown belt..   Dove in Lake Superior at 47° to 130' to see the steam sail ship the Smithmoor.   Mountain biked in Moab, Utah many times, skied in Breckenridge and have won many table tennis tournaments.   I took lessons from Jon Bosika who was the 1996 US Olympic Team coach (he is now living in my home town and I don't play anymore).   I coached my son's soccer team for 15 years starting in AYSO and  continuing until the team played in the elite division in Michigan.   I use to play a trumpet, piano and a bass guitar but not anymore.   

Since retirement my sports have been limited to golf and mountain biking, street hockey, volleyball, wallyball and hiking.  

• Thumbs Up 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...

Babe Ruth League baseball...once hit two homers in an inning, one being a grand slam off Jim Bouton's cousin (or nephew, I can't remember which). That was the harmonic convergence of my baseball career since I think I only hit two others in three seasons in that league.

Wrestling...won region and made it to the NJ state tournament twice, as sophomore and senior, at two different schools. Lost on points both times in my first match.

And finally (and this is the one I'm most proud of) I've won my forty-year-old fantasy football league title five times.  😄

My old but trusty bag is filled with clubs I built...Integra SoooLong 450 10.5°, Jackaroo II 13* 16* 23*  hybrids, Dynacraft irons and wedges...plus a sweet Tad Moore Peach putter.

Please check out my sports card/memorabilia blog: The Five Tool Collector

On 4/5/2019 at 10:36 AM, rehmwa said:

Not much -

• some wins in karate - not many
  • a Tough Mudder in there
  • 3rd place US skydiving nationals (but only the intermediate category) - 4 way (this is belly to earth - 4 person speed formation building)
  • after 30 years in the sport, just lately learning to fly (competently) in new orientations, just holding this orientation is easy once you learn the muscle memory, but ...getting to that point......is a big win for a beginner (which I am) - I'm hoping this translates to competing again

2019-04-05 09_08_03-Windows Media Player.jpg

Nice to see a fellow jumper. Most people think we care crazy. Even if it is just 4-way

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!