IGNORED

Worst Shot In Major Championship History

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, he wasn't. "Contention" doesn't begin until at least late in the third round. That's further backed up by this statement from the OP:

Sergio wasn't "in the hunt." He was a guy "that missed the cut."

Somehow I knew that would be the response. No doubt others feel the same. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Somehow I knew that would be the response. No doubt others feel the same. 

I think Spieth's drive on 18 in the final round had way more consequences than Sergio's horrific 1st day. This thread is really about those who blow the chance to win with a really bad shot near the end.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

41 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, he wasn't. "Contention" doesn't begin until at least late in the third round.

Disagree.  Who's to say that, had that blow-up not happened, he is now sporting a second green jacket?  If this happened to say Sandy Lyle, Ian Woosnam, or Gentle Ben, I would not see it this way, but we're talking about the #9 ranked player in the world. 

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

• Administrator
1 hour ago, fishgolf said:

Disagree.  Who's to say that, had that blow-up not happened, he is now sporting a second green jacket?  If this happened to say Sandy Lyle, Ian Woosnam, or Gentle Ben, I would not see it this way, but we're talking about the #9 ranked player in the world. 

Disagree all you want, that's the definition from the OP. It excludes people who missed the cut.

The point of the topic is to discuss the worst shots toward the end of major championship, when the fate of the event takes a dramatic turn.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Phil's drive on the 72nd hole at Winged Foot, especially considering what was at stake. It would have been his third Major in a row and given him a shot at the "Tiger Slam" (all four trophies on his mantle at once).  "I am such an idiot" doesn't even begin to cover how bad it was. Bones should have broken that driver over his knee when Phil asked for it.

• Like 1

Bill M

9 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Surprised no-one has mentioned Thomas Bjorn, in 2003 Open when leading by 2 puts his ball in the bunker at 16 and takes 2 to get out, letting Ben Curtis (who??) through to win.

That is a great example. Felt bad for Bjorn. Never won a major and he let that 2003 Open slip through his fingers. 

MY first though when I read the title of the thread was Costantino Rocca's duffed chip at the last hole of the Open Championship, the video was posted by @mvmac earlier in this thread.  I'd say that Rocca also had the single best follow-up from a horrible shot, sinking the putt from the fringe to get into the playoff with John Daly

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

45 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

MY first though when I read the title of the thread was Costantino Rocca's duffed chip at the last hole of the Open Championship, the video was posted by @mvmac earlier in this thread.  I'd say that Rocca also had the single best follow-up from a horrible shot, sinking the putt from the fringe to get into the playoff with John Daly

Kinda like Mize's 5-iron during the playoff with Norman at the 1987 Masters. We know what happened after that.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 2203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!