Sign in to follow this  
Themightyoz

Golf Course Staff Ettiquite

11 posts / 820 viewsLast Reply

Good morning 

I got a job at a golf course!  Pro shop staff, part time.  One of the perks is unlimited golf.  As I am going to only be working half time.  What would be a reasonable amount of time to play the course?  As much as I can? On standby? Off times?

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

19 minutes ago, David in FL said:

The protocol will vary from course to course.  

Ask your Pro.  His answer is the only one that matters.

Agree completely, do what the boss says, pay no attention to the rest of us.  He may encourage you to fill out a 3-some, or he may prefer that you not interact with the paying customers outside of your work duties.  My guess, he wouldn't want you to be taking the place of a paying customer.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, Themightyoz said:

Good morning 

I got a job at a golf course!  Pro shop staff, part time.  One of the perks is unlimited golf.  As I am going to only be working half time.  What would be a reasonable amount of time to play the course?  As much as I can? On standby? Off times?

The people who volunteer around here also like that perk which is why they do it. They typically play 3 times a week, but could probably do more if they wanted. The main thing is courses need all the help they can get so if you work a little extra without additional pay, that makes points with the pro.

You can generally get discounts on lessons from the pro assuming he doesn't just give you free pointers now and then. Try not to take huge divots and I think you can play as often as  you want.

Good perks. 

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Agree completely, do what the boss says, pay no attention to the rest of us.  He may encourage you to fill out a 3-some, or he may prefer that you not interact with the paying customers outside of your work duties.  My guess, he wouldn't want you to be taking the place of a paying customer.

At the time you wrote this, only two responses agreed with each other. Should he ignore you two as well? :-D

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

At the time you wrote this, only two responses agreed with each other. Should he ignore you two as well? :-D

Of course I meant that he should pay no attention to anyone who didn't agree with me and @David in FL.:whistle:

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

The people who volunteer around here also like that perk which is why they do it.

In what capacity are they volunteering? I've given this idea a little bit of thought recently after a friend mentioned he gets free yoga at a studio by volunteering there.  Feel free to PM if you don't want to derail the thread.

10 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

In what capacity are they volunteering? I've given this idea a little bit of thought recently after a friend mentioned he gets free yoga at a studio by volunteering there.  Feel free to PM if you don't want to derail the thread.

Course ambassadors and they can progress to cart washing. . .

At both my home courses, they need to volunteer for 40 hours a month and get all the free range balls and play time they want. They even have discounts on other courses.

The course where I work now doesn't really care when or how much we play. The only rule is we can't get weekend tee times. What that means is you have to have a buddy get the time and then you can play with him. The director of golf thinks it looks bad to have employee names on the tee sheets on the weekends. 

52 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

The course where I work now doesn't really care when or how much we play. The only rule is we can't get weekend tee times. What that means is you have to have a buddy get the time and then you can play with him. The director of golf thinks it looks bad to have employee names on the tee sheets on the weekends. 

We used to be able to get weekend times, but we had to go through the reservations website or call-in just like everyone else after the 7 day reservation window opened - no preferential treatment.  As starter I had the reservation system on my computer in the starter shack, but I could only use it when customers called in.  My access would would have allowed me to reserve tee times earlier than the public (I could actually have done it weeks in advance), but it also noted the user who entered the reservation, so there was no way to cheat without getting caught (not that I'd have considered doing that anyway). 

Since I almost never played casual golf on weekends after I retired and started working there, reservations were only a minor issue on Wednesday mornings, which was our busiest weekday.  I was part of a regular group then, so I just played with them and didn't worry about it.

Edited by Fourputt