IGNORED

As a "Non-Golfer" This Is How I Spend My Time

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 1843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf will always be there, that's the beauty of the game. I took a ten year lay-off when my boy and girl twins were active in sports. My daughter went to V-ball states (Florida 8-A runner ups) and my son was an accomplished lacrosse player who won a national award that is currently playing on the NCAA level. You don't ever get that time back, and I made a commitment not to be the dad that watched their kids lives on video after the fact. I have seen them grow up and never regretted a second. They are both doing well in college and a lot of that was due to the lessons growing up, playing competitive sports, and learning how to be a part of a team. And I got to see it all, firsthand. Priceless! 

As far as being a non-golfer. i don't buy it. It's in our blood. Even during my lay-off I could watch a major like the Masters and still get excited appreciating the nuances of the game. Life is full of ebbs and flows and golf has its place. Congratulations of investing in your son! You won't regret a minute. 

• Upvote 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

2 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

Golf will always be there, that's the beauty of the game. I took a ten year lay-off when my boy and girl twins were active in sports. My daughter went to V-ball states (Florida 8-A runner ups) and my son was an accomplished lacrosse player who won a national award that is currently playing on the NCAA level. You don't ever get that time back, and I made a commitment not to be the dad that watched their kids lives on video after the fact. I have seen them grow up and never regretted a second. They are both doing well in college and a lot of that was due to the lessons growing up, playing competitive sports, and learning how to be a part of a team. And I got to see it all, firsthand. Priceless! 

As far as being a non-golfer. i don't buy it. It's in our blood. Even during my lay-off I could watch a major like the Masters and still get excited appreciating the nuances of the game. Life is full of ebbs and flows and golf has its place. Congratulations of investing in your son! You won't regret a minute. 

I agree with you. Yet I hope there is some more of a compromise position than a 10 year dry spell. My son loved going to the range when he was 5 or 6. And an early morning or twilight executive doesn't kill the whole weekend.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

12 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I agree with you. Yet I hope there is some more of a compromise position than a 10 year dry spell. My son loved going to the range when he was 5 or 6. And an early morning or twilight executive doesn't kill the whole weekend.

I totally agree with your take. It just got to the point that with 2 kids going in 2 different directions, a major job promotion that required more of my time, and my own expectations, it worked out that way. I tried to play for fun, but having been a former PGA apprentice I couldn't just go out and play once a month and enjoy it. Golf has been a very competitive sport for me, so when I could get back to practicing once or twice a week, playing once a week and being able to break 80 on a regular basis that is when I picked it back up. I will admit that my own expectations of what was "fun" probably held me back due to my past golf life. I'm back now, playing he the way I want to and having a blast. But to your point, I was not willing to compromise due to my expectations. 

Edited by TourSpoon

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

If we are going by numbers of rounds played this year i think im definatley a "non golfer". I think ive managed to get 6 full rounds in. I have a 3 year old son and my 2nd son was born in April this year so has happily taken up my time. Now he's 5 months i can get out a bit more so winter golf here we come!

Im sure 99.99% of the guys and gals on this site who are parents would happily play less golf to spend more time with the kids.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, RussUK said:

If we are going by numbers of rounds played this year i think im definatley a "non golfer". I think ive managed to get 6 full rounds in. I have a 3 year old son and my 2nd son was born in April this year so has happily taken up my time. Now he's 5 months i can get out a bit more so winter golf here we come!

Im sure 99.99% of the guys and gals on this site who are parents would happily play less golf to spend more time with the kids.

Agreed. I wouldn't trade those years for anything.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, RussUK said:

Yup!  And I take the three year old with me now sometimes. He has fun riding in the cart and running around on course with his little golf club. It's great for both of us. 

15 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

Yup!  And I take the three year old with me now sometimes. He has fun riding in the cart and running around on course with his little golf club. It's great for both of us. 

May have to try that. He already has a little SW and a putter and a strange obsession for orange golf balls!.

I'd just be worried about him running too far away. Is using a retractable dog lead classed as bad parenting :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 10/15/2016 at 11:05 AM, Index95 said:

Hi,  I'm Conrad and I'm also a golf addict.  Obsessive compulsive seems to run in my family so I'm excused?  Can't get my kids hooked on golfing, hugely disappointed, but should probably be relieved 

good luck with your kids 

btw

Roll Tide

IMG_0258.JPG

Niiiice!!!!

With that said....from a buckeye nut to a Bama fan......I beg to differ....it's MOPAR or NOCAR.................

The 2nd Dodge.JPG

Oh yea...LOL

Edited by BuckeyeNut

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

On 10/18/2016 at 7:18 AM, CarlSpackler said:

I have been avoiding this thread thinking that @BuckeyeNut bought a ball retriever. :-P

OK....that made me laugh out loud!  thanks.....There are 1,000+ criteria by my definition that would qualify any casual golfer as a........"NON GOLFER".   A ball retriever is definitely one of them!!   hahahahaha...good stuff!!

My son bowls in at least 2 tourneys a week during bowling season...........which is essentially late August through June.  (Nationals are a full week in July) We are driving down to Arkansas this weekend from Kansas City so he can bowl.   That's how it is.............   I can't imagine doing anything else, but watching my 14yr old kid bowl in the top scratch division against kids 20 and under.......and leave them scratching their heads how that little kid kicked their ass... (sometimes)

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:

1 hour ago, BuckeyeNut said:

OK....that made me laugh out loud!  thanks.....There are 1,000+ criteria by my definition that would qualify any casual golfer as a........"NON GOLFER".   A ball retriever is definitely one of them!!   hahahahaha...good stuff!!

My son bowls in at least 2 tourneys a week during bowling season...........which is essentially late August through June.  (Nationals are a full week in July) We are driving down to Arkansas this weekend from Kansas City so he can bowl.   That's how it is.............   I can't imagine doing anything else, but watching my 14yr old kid bowl in the top scratch division against kids 20 and under.......and leave them scratching their heads how that little kid kicked their ass... (sometimes)

If you were gaming a ball retriever, I would know the world is at its end. I'm on high alert with the Cubs and Indians playing in the WS. 

Best of luck to your son!

- Shane

On 10/28/2016 at 6:36 PM, BuckeyeNut said:

Niiiice!!!!

With that said....from a buckeye nut to a Bama fan......I beg to differ....it's MOPAR or NOCAR.................

The 2nd Dodge.JPG

Oh yea...LOL

Nice looking  Mazda  ...

HATE Mopar, got out run on top end in my little Sunbeam Tiger way back then, by hemi cuda back roads frm Tuscaloosa to Mobile.  It should have been Snake Stabler, not me, the Bama boosters got him a new 427 Vette, think he  could  have  handled  the  Cuda. maybe...

Times they are a changin

You  have  brush tees and ball retriever?

• 2 weeks later...

Dude......you were talking Jibberish.......   nobody knows WTF you said.   LOL

It's MOPAR or no car...........the jibberish part, what????????????????

Edited by BuckeyeNut

What's in Paul's Bag:

• 1 year later...
(edited)

I sit in bowling alleys watching my son compete most of my spare time.......... I have no regrets....I do miss playing golf, but I also enjoy watching my son thrive as he competes...

He's only 15, and he's one of the top youth bowlers in the country.......this is his finishing off his 7th 300/perfect game in competition......a 15yr old kid..this is crazy. 

I figure that I will have the rest of my life to play golf....................for now, I don't play much golf.    I am OK with this.......when I say "not much", I played only about 70+rounds in 2017.....this is like taking the year off by my standards......(playing 50% of the time)

Every minute of my vacation time is spent traveling the country so he can compete...... He bowls in all the big national youth events....he holds his own and is one of the top kids to beat.    Very proud of him......

Edited by BuckeyeNut
  • Upvote 2

What's in Paul's Bag:

Terrific stuff, thanks for sharing. I bowled a 165....once :-D Congrats to your boy~

My boy can't bowl but he's a hell of a guitar player and singer.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

That was a pretty matter-of-fact celebration there. I guess when you get to your seventh 300, you act like you've done it before. 

Pins got no hope when you get it to the pocket like that. 

Congratulations to him.

I can’t get over 70+ rounds per year being a light year.  Don’t think I’ve played 70 rounds in this century. 

Congrats to your son!

• Like 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 1843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!