IGNORED

Golf balls for my dad!

Note: This thread is 2231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone!

I'm here today to ask for advices about golf balls. My dad's birthday is coming up and I want to get him some golf balls. He plays golf very often and has good quality clubs.  He is a very average golfer. He plays above par but he really enjoys it.

I've done a bit of reshearch about the best golf balls but I have no ideas what's the difference between the different types and brands.

So I need some advice about wich ones I should get him.  The best ones possible that would be adapted to his game.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ERIc

Welcome to TST!

Do you know what kind of ball he plays now?  Most golfers will stick with a couple different ones.  How much do you want to spend?  Golf balls range from about $10/dz to around $45/dz.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Posoroko said:

Hello everyone!

I'm here today to ask for advices about golf balls. My dad's birthday is coming up and I want to get him some golf balls. He plays golf very often and has good quality clubs.  He is a very average golfer. He plays above par but he really enjoys it.

I've done a bit of reshearch about the best golf balls but I have no ideas what's the difference between the different types and brands.

So I need some advice about wich ones I should get him.  The best ones possible that would be adapted to his game.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ERIc

What does he play now for a ball?

Edit: @dennyjones beat me to it!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Sneak into his bag and see what he has the most of. How old is he? A little more information on his physical attributes and we can get a little closer fit... Athletic, good shape, etc

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

I don't know what kind he usually plays. I live in France and he lives in Montreal so i Can't go check it out. Knowing him I'm pretty sure he doesn't pay himself the best ones.

He's got great clubs he got as a retirering gift from his clients.

I will try asking my mom to check out his balls... euh... you see what I mean... to figure out the brand...

• Like 1

So I asked my mom and she told me his golf bag is empty from used golf balls because he  replaced everything with balls he got as a gift. These are "hex control".

He is 74 years old. He is not super sportive but he is in goid shape. He used to be very sportive in his younger days. E was a great hockey player.

Now he fishes and play gold. He reallt loves the game.

The word "soft" doesn't specifically mean the exterior of the ball is soft.    All of the golf balls you'll buy will feel hard.  The word soft refers to how easily the ball can be compressed when hit.   Look for a ball that sells for  $20 USD or more and I'm sure he will be happy.

Good luck.   Come back and tell us your decision.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 minutes ago, Posoroko said:

Thanks everyone for you advices...

dennyjones: when you say 20$, is it the price for ONE ball? Can they really be that expensive?

That’s the price per dozen. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

7 minutes ago, Posoroko said:

Thanks everyone for you advices...

dennyjones: when you say 20$, is it the price for ONE ball? Can they really be that expensive?

OHNONONONONO! $20 a dozen. See @dennyjones earlier email. Good luck! -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Home depot here was clearancing out Brigdestone Laddies for 5 bux a dozen after xmas... I don't know if they have any stragglers left now...they were not selling very fast.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

23 hours ago, Posoroko said:

He is 74 years old.

Older golfers generally have a lower swing speed and there are many brands made for them.
Here is a good thread on comparing the differences - https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/95330-golf-ball-comparison-chart-just-to-share/?tab=comments#comment-1336560

Thanks to @rehmwa for sharing the guide.

http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tips/equipment-choices/golf-ball-compression-chart-and-rank/

Being your Dad is long time player and enjoys the game like many of us, he may have a preference.
Like many of us, he probably is "tech savy" on development of equipment changes over the years.
While many of the brands are basically equal to one another, there are types which are better suited for various players.
He most likely would like a Low Compression with Soft Feel, which is the choice of many senior golfers.

• Informative 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, No Mulligans said:

I'd recommend Titliest Tour Soft or Callaway Chrome Soft.  Both are premium balls.

These are both excellent suggestions.

A less expensive ball that I like a lot and is often overlooked, but is great for average golfers is the Wilson Staff Duo.

Then of course there are the Snell balls, which are available online, are premium balls at a mid level price.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:19 AM, Posoroko said:

So I asked my mom and she told me his golf bag is empty from used golf balls because he  replaced everything with balls he got as a gift. These are "hex control".

He is 74 years old. He is not super sportive but he is in goid shape. He used to be very sportive in his younger days. E was a great hockey player.

Now he fishes and play gold. He reallt loves the game.

Hex Control are Costco model balls. Very good balls. He might like Titleist Pro-V1 as a special gift?

About $38/dozen.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Ok!

Thanks everyone for all your replies and great advices.

I just need to find a place online to buy them for him. I live in France and my dad lives in Canada.

But I will look for : Titleist Pro-V1, Wilson Staff Duo, Titliest Tour Soft or Callaway Chrome Soft. 

I will get aanyone of these I can find online at a faire price. (I looked on amazon.ca and some of these go for 80 dollars a dozen... )

Thanks again and I wish you all a good upcoming season!

Note: This thread is 2231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!