IGNORED

Dealing with slow play

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 2142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I found myself behind some slow groups this past week-end and it effected my play. I know this time of year is busy down here (Florida) but for the past few weeks it has been exceptionally busy at my club. I guess I'm looking for some tips on how to deal better with slow play. I'm trying to get better dealing with it but yesterday I actually quit after 9 holes because I just get tired of waiting 5-10 minutes to hit every single shot. Any one have any ideas on how to get better dealing with it?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Play at crack of ass dawn or twilight. Thats the only solution I've been to come up with for dealing with courses that i know have slow play consistatnly. If you're already stuck there cant play through, i usually just tool around on my phone or something until its time for me to play. I really don't fixate on the golf much. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Play with a good, competitive 4-some.  Play a game that involves enough on the line to matter to you all.  It will tend to slow you all down and shift your focus away from outside distractions...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm not a "good" golfer compared to you guys but I don't even bother with weekends anymore. Impossible to stay in rhythm. I play league on Tuesdays and twilight golf after work. 

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Does "club" mean private club?

Yes. There are condos next to the club that people rent and are able to play at the club. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

When I get to the course and realize it could be a 4-5 hour round, I set my expectations accordingly. The first thing I do is start slowing down. Take a little longer to get from the green to the next tee. Take a little longer to get from shot to shot. Maybe read that putt twice. As long as I'm not holding up the group behind us, which if the course is packed, they're waiting no matter how fast I play. While I do slow down, I'm always ready when it time to hit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Normally, I walk, but if the pace is really going to suck, I'll get a motor cart and beer.

I just stick my feet out over the dash board and act like I'm sitting in my back yard.  

Edited by mcanadiens
  • Like 1

Allow more time for slower than normal play. Your first clue is the parking lot. If it's full, most likely the course is too. 

A good preshot routine will help with the wait between shots. 

I just look at slow play as part of the game on occassions. If I let others ruin my game, then they are manipulating my time to their advantage. I'm not one to be manipulated that easily. Unless one of my Grandkids are doing the manipulating.:-D

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Avoid peak hours (i.e. weekends and Monday holidays) if possible.  If not...go with the flow.  Embrace your inner slug and take your sweet time.  It's like getting stuck in traffic.  For that matter; it is getting stuck in traffic.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

If you can, play early so that you don't have too many people in front.  I prefer the first tee time, if possible.  That way, I don't have to worry about slow play.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Slow play can also be course dependent. A “slow” round for me at my home course is 3:30, while a slow round at some of my other local courses I frequent are 5 hours. I try and plan accordingly which course I can play based on time of day and what the rest of my schedule looks like that day, but yes I understand that slow play in general is frustrating and can get you out of a rhythm. 

Depends on the situation. If the group in front of you is also being held up, then it's not their fault. However, I've been out when the group in front of us had two open holes in front of it! We've been known to drive aaround those people! And, if there's nothing you can do, there's nothing you can do! And yes, I avoid weekend play like the plague!

Almost nobody likes slow play, but if you are stuck mostly playing weekends, then it's probably going to be a part of your modern golf experience.  It's something that one simply has to learn to deal with.  For me, it's only a problem in men's club tournaments, because that's the only time I play on weekends.  I'm old enough to have the patience to let my frustration go and just enjoy the day. 

When I'm playing well, golf is fun and the round ends too quickly, even on the slowest days.  When I'm playing poorly, all I want to do is get off the course, so even a 3½ hour round is too slow (although I admit that fast rounds usually result in average to good scores).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

17 hours ago, Yukari said:

If you can, play early so that you don't have too many people in front.  I prefer the first tee time, if possible.  That way, I don't have to worry about slow play.

Amen! My normal group is always the first or second group to tee off, this also has the added benefit of having most of the day open ahead of me.

Also make sure to research the course your playing. My buddy and I played a few weeks ago at a course made up of four 9hole courses. We played the first 9 in 1hr 15mins, then made the turn to find a line of groups waiting to start their round. The starter said we couldn’t make the turn until all the morning tee times went off. We sat in the cart for 45mins before we could finally hit. Ugh!

my get up and go musta got up and went..

The best solutions I have seen are when people bring a football or frisbee or similar to toss around when waiting.  Seems like we shouldn't have to do this, but at least it keeps the muscles warm and moving.  Could bring cards and play poker or similar too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Same thing happened to some of the early players where I worked as starter.  They would start early thinking that would get them a faster round, but when they made the turn to #10, they still had to wait for the early 9 hole players who had made 9 hole reservations.  We only reserved the first 1½ hours on the back 9, but that was still an issue for guys who played speed golf on the front.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The last thing you want to do is stand over your shot for that long waiting to hit. Once you realize the situation, try and slow down a bit. Talk with your partners, admire the view, anything rather than steam over the pace of play.

Note: This thread is 2142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!