IGNORED

Go to club or shot from 125 yards. READ ORIGINAL POST!!!

onthehunt526
Note: This thread is 2209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Either my 50 or a soft landing PW.

Tough call because the PW distance is less controllable, but it’s a full shot 50. Soft PW would go straighter, but the 50 would stop.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Normal temperature/time of year, it would be a 90% PW.  It's just out of range for the 52 for me unless I'm trying to stay under the hole or it's middle of summer and the ball is jumping.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

9 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Well it sounds like you are in a good place with your swing... I know a lot of instructors will say to hit something hard, if you're under pressure... but that's not what this is at all... I did make a typo with my wedge distance which is with a stock shot 128 yards carry or so, and my 9-iron is 140 or so....I guess I really need to do these distances and shot zones again. I digress.

Carry on guys,

Stock shot PW 128? There’s no question at all. Hit your PW...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Generally speaking: a 9 iron in the winter months and a pigeon wedge in the summer.  125 is not an "on the number" distance for me.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

2 hours ago, klineka said:

For me it would depend where the "125 yards out" pin is in relation to the green. Is the 125 to a front pin so 135 to the middle? Or is the 125 to a back pin leaving me 115 to the middle.

If the 125 is a front pin, I'd hit a smooth pitching wedge. Something that feels to me like its 80%. A normal full PW for me is 130, but I've hit some pushing 140. Even if it goes a little long I'd be in the middle of the green. 

If the 125 is a back pin, I'd hit my 50 degree wedge. With this club I'd have virtually no chance of going over the green, and a normal full 50 degree is right at 120 which should put me middle to middle back of the green.

If the 125 is right in the middle, then it'd just be a feel thing looking at temperature and how I'm hitting overall that particular day. 

I took the distance from OP to be carry so I didn't break it down further. Pin location will affect my shot choice, as well.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

As everyone says, there are a lot of potential variables, but this would normally be a gentle 9-iron for me.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

38 minutes ago, Piz said:

Generally speaking: a 9 iron in the winter months and a pigeon wedge in the summer.  125 is not an "on the number" distance for me.

A pigeon wedge......do your shots "fly the green".......:whistle:

Really sorry couldnt help myself.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

1 hour ago, Piz said:

Generally speaking: a 9 iron in the winter months and a pigeon wedge in the summer.

"Pigeon wedge". this is gold.  I'm gonna start saying this and see how long I can go before anyone notices I'm not saying "pitching"

With the OP's conditions, this is my stock PW carry, so that's an easy choice. I'm a bit of a tweener with my distances.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Full Pitching wedge for me. If the ground is firm enough I might take a 8 Iron and hit little bump and run up to the green for fun or if the green has easy access. Using the parameters from your original post, it would most likely be a full pitching wedge. 

• Administrator

Anything from a full wedge to an 8I, depending on how I'm feeling. Probably often a chippy 9I.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, billchao said:

I took the distance from OP to be carry so I didn't break it down further. Pin location will affect my shot choice, as well.

When I said, 125 yards out, I did mean to the hole, but it is cut in the middle third somewhere. Remember, In LSW we're supposed to #AimDeadCenter.

After thinking about it, you could do a 2 question poll. One for the type of shot, the other for the club. I apologize if I hit a "in between" yardage for some of you, however, I just want to see how we approach it.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Depends on how much room I have in front of and behind the pin. Would either be my full 50 degree wedge (120 yards) or a choked down pw (140 yards, full).

25 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

When I said, 125 yards out, I did mean to the hole, but it is cut in the middle third somewhere. Remember, In LSW we're supposed to #AimDeadCenter.

I meant if it's a back pin, I'll go with the 3/4 PW that I'm expecting to carry 125 to the middle. It will roll out a few more yards on a good shot and also gives me the long miss.

A front pin I'm going with the full GW and allowing for the short miss.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I rarely use a full swing with my 9i, but 125 - 130 is the distance that I have to. I no longer use a full swing for 120 yards and less (for circumstances described in the OP) and haven't taken a full swing with any wedge in almost a year.

Jon

Note: This thread is 2209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!