Jump to content
iacas

PGA Moving to Frisco, TX

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/report-pga-of-america-moving-to-texas-hopes-to-bring-pga-championship-ryder-cup-to-frisco

Quote

 

The PGA of America plans to move its headquarters from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., to Frisco, Texas, according to a Golf.com report. An announcement is supposed to come within weeks, according to the report.

The proposed site, located outside of Dallas, would also be the home to two 18-hole semi-public courses and a nine-hole short course. The 18s are to be designed by Gil Hanse and Beau Welling, with the Hanse course anticipated to host events like the PGA Championship and Ryder Cup. That championship venue is set to be opened by 2020.

When reached for comment, the PGA of America told Golf Digest, "Last year we issued a request for proposal to a number of markets that are potentially well suited and interested in developing a new headquarter campus for us. The due diligence phase is ongoing and no decisions have been made.”

 

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/03/07/pga-america-relocating-texas-new-site-host-pga-championships-ryder-cups?

No, it's not really "Tour Talk" but it's the closest we've got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

We are a sports mecca here in Frisco lol.  Though the article kinda lied about being close to DFW airport, unless they think a 30 min. drive is close IJS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Byron Nelson tournament moving to it's new digs this year, if the PGA of America moves to Frisco that's a lot of action for this area.  Some nice courses being designed by some well respected architects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Texas is well overdue to host a major, and a Ryder Cup in Texas would be epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Texas is well overdue to host a major, and a Ryder Cup in Texas would be epic.

The problem has largely been scheduling. June and August are probably hot months in Texas. May will be better, and September or October are probably okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

The problem has largely been scheduling. June and August are probably hot months in Texas. May will be better, and September or October are probably okay.

I’ve said it before but I’ve never understood why the RC (at least in recent years) has had such a bias to the northern tip of the country. Most all of our players live in south Florida and don’t like playing in sub 75 degree weather yet we make them play in Minnesota in October...in weather the euros are much more used to. I would be all for a RC in Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah! Make those Euros sweat a bit! But then that might just get Poulter all hot and bothered enough to fire up the troopps again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

The problem has largely been scheduling. June and August are probably hot months in Texas. May will be better, and September or October are probably okay.

June through August are definitely hot months. 100F or higher are very strong probabilities especially in July and August. May should be good. September would be good too depending on where in Texas...hurricane season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

June through August are definitely hot months. 100F or higher are very strong probabilities especially in July and August. May should be good. September would be good too depending on where in Texas...hurricane season. 

North Texas has had 95 to 100* plus temps from about mid-June to mid-September for a long time. The hottest months have increased in intensity. But for those not from here, 95 with a breeze is pretty pleasant when the humidity is low. Also, I thought PGA said the decision had not been made? Maybe I missed a final word? -Thanks, -Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, MarvChamp said:

North Texas has had 95 to 100* plus temps from about mid-June to mid-September for a long time. The hottest months have increased in intensity. But for those not from here, 95 with a breeze is pretty pleasant when the humidity is low. Also, I thought PGA said the decision had not been made? Maybe I missed a final word? -Thanks, -Marv

Yup for sure. In the Houston area the humidity is rarely low so everything feels like 10 degrees warmer. The official announcement is supposed to come within a few weeks, but multiple reputable sources saying it’s a done deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, skydog said:

I’ve said it before but I’ve never understood why the RC (at least in recent years) has had such a bias to the northern tip of the country. Most all of our players live in south Florida and don’t like playing in sub 75 degree weather yet we make them play in Minnesota in October...in weather the euros are much more used to. I would be all for a RC in Texas.

I don't remember exactly what year it was, but roughly 15 years ago Colonial C.C. in Ft. Worth was aggressively trying to get the PGA of America to choose them for a Ryder Cup.  They spent in the neighborhood of $250k to put together a presentation for the boys on the RC Committee which included some heavy weight Tour players from the area as well as other influential members of the community like Marty Leonard (whos father built Colonial C.C. and was instrumental in bringing the 1991 Women's U.S. Open to Colonial) and politicians like the Governor and the Mayor.  Because Colonial hosts a Tour event every year, they are knowledgeable about the all the details involved with running a big-time tournament, plus everything is already in place.  Things like parking, shuttle buses, where to build grandstands and corporate hospitality tents, merchandise and concession areas, volunteers...none of that would have to be figured out.  Plus, there is one of the biggest airports nearby so there is no issue with fans, media, players or anyone else getting here, and there are tons of hotels to support the number of people an event like this would draw.  The folks at Colonial felt good about their chances.

When it came time to make the announcement, the PGA of America awarded it to another venue, then at the same time named the next 5 or 6 after that, none of which were Colonial.  If I remember correctly, it naming that many future venues that far in advance wasn't how they usually did it at the time, and the committee at Colonial who put together the presentation felt like it was done on purpose to lock Colonial out...at least for the next 10-12 years.  Was there some personal reason by one or more of the decision-makers to intentionally prevent Colonial from hosting a Cup?  I don't know.  But there were some hard feelings over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, ElWagonne said:

We are a sports mecca here in Frisco lol.  Though the article kinda lied about being close to DFW airport, unless they think a 30 min. drive is close IJS.

 

In Texas, that's close!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, ElWagonne said:

We are a sports mecca here in Frisco lol.  Though the article kinda lied about being close to DFW airport, unless they think a 30 min. drive is close IJS.

 

 

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

In Texas, that's close!

That's true.  I took my daughter to the airport yesterday morning at 4:30 a.m. and it took me almost an hour.  About 20 min of that was spent in a traffic jam.  Who gets in a traffic jam at 4:30 a.m.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For a second there I was confused, didn't they just build a new HQ in Sawgrass, no, that's the PGA Tour, not PGA of America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/8/2018 at 5:43 PM, ElWagonne said:

Though the article kinda lied about being close to DFW airport, unless they think a 30 min. drive is close IJS.

 

30 mins? From midnight - 6am maybe...lol

On 3/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, 1badbadger said:

With the Byron Nelson tournament moving to it's new digs this year, if the PGA of America moves to Frisco that's a lot of action for this area.  Some nice courses being designed by some well respected architects. 

DFW is really a great place for golf and getting better every year.

On 3/8/2018 at 6:45 PM, MrGolfguy67 said:

Texas is well overdue to host a major, and a Ryder Cup in Texas would be epic.

 A Ryder Cup in North Texas would be amazing!

On 3/8/2018 at 8:26 PM, iacas said:

The problem has largely been scheduling. June and August are probably hot months in Texas. May will be better, and September or October are probably okay.

June, July, and August are not fun...even for us natives who are 'adjusted' to the heat. Team Euro would melt here. 🙂

This is very surprising to me, didn't think it would actually happen...seriously some great news for the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...