IGNORED

Keeping Golf Balls in a Thermos During Cold Weather?

curlydastooge
Note: This thread is 1453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I think you've misunderstood.  Top level competitions are often played under the One Ball Rule (Model Local Rule G4 under Committee Procedures if you want to look it up).  This is a local rule that requires a player to use  " the same brand and model as found in a single entry on the current List of Conforming Balls."  These guys can change balls between holes, or at other times permitted under the rules, but they cannot change to a different model.  A guy cannot use a ProV1 on the first hole, and a Calloway on the second hole.  He can't even use a ProV1x.  And the amateurs at the Masters are subject to the exact same rules as the professionals, including the One Ball Rule if its in effect.

The use of a local rule isn't really bifurcation, your local club could apply the One Ball Rule to your next Member-Guest if it chose to.  Its just really rare outside of high-level competitions.

Well said Dave. Local rules, hard cards and the terms of the competition are not bifurcation.

• 2 weeks later...

The real question is, would you even want to? Seems like a hot ball compresses too much. The cold air, and your layers are the issue, not the temperature.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

The real question is, would you even want to? Seems like a hot ball compresses too much. The cold air, and your layers are the issue, not the temperature.

This is an interesting video. Clearly, ball temperature alone is not an issue of warmer ball goes further - here the opposite is the case. But this example should be kept in context. This is in strikes by a young buck with a 115mph swing speed. I think this story is incomplete unless the test is repeated with swing speeds of 95mph and 80mph.

• Like 1

I’ve never even considered any of this. The majority of time I play golf it would be below 50F and in the summer it would definitely start below 50F and get warmer. (I play early most of the time)

I never worried about the balls being cold, I noticed I hit shorter on especially frosty mornings but put it down to my own muscles being cold and a bit stiff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!