IGNORED

What’s the best forgiving irons

Note: This thread is 880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys. New to the forum here.. I was wondering what the best forgiving irons are out there.. I played two rounds of golf last week for the first time in 3 years (played horrible both times +17 and +16....Trying to get back into playing again and more often. Been doing a lot of research on the most forgiving irons and I’m leaning towards the titelist AP1 716. I haven’t had time to test any out yet but hoping to go soon.. just wanted to get some opinions.. Thanks

All the major game improvement irons are similarly forgiving and good.  Search for “top 10 game improvement irons” or something.  They do all have different tech involved for making them sound better/different, feel better, have thinner toplines and other aesthetics to suit particular tastes.  So you’ll want to look at and hit several to decide which you like best.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, allenc said:

So you’ll want to look at and hit several to decide which you like best.

+1

I guess my only suggestion is to keep an open mind if hitting several sets. In other words, don't fall in love with the AP's before you see how they stack up against with others.

Not sure where you live, but go to some upcoming spring demo days. Just go around and hit what looks interesting, and start a short list of those you would consider. Also... pay attention to the shaft - that's half the club.

@WUTiger,

from what I remember Callaway Game-improvement irons, usually have some of the highest MPF in the industry, does this hold true now?

@Adams7955 first of all welcome. AP1 are very forgiving irons... Those are usually in the top 10 best every cycle they come out (every two years).  I'm going to make a suggestion, since you are doing a lot of research, test out the lesser known companies as well. Forgiving irons are great for people who have inconsistent strikes... who tend to hit the ball more or less all across the face. I will usually typically go that you want it to.

This is a suggestion a lot of people on the site will tell you. Go get a proper club fitting.

If you can see my signature, you can probably see I play blades. You'll laugh, I play regular flex in my irons. Why? because I don't load the club as aggressively as I used to, and B) I'm a tweener and went with a softer flex. (Yes, John, I was recommended regular or stiff with a 160-165 yard, 7-iron carry, and the spin was too low with stiff, so I'm a tweener even with the flighted shafts.)

718 AP1 is the ONLY way to go---kidding of course. I like mine, but as others have said, there are many very good ones available.

The Mizuno JPX 900 range is one to look at, as are Callaway range, but there are many. As others have said check out several, pick a few that fit your eye and go from there.

The M2 and M4 series of irons from Taylormade are typically regarded as pretty forgiving.

You can get a set of 2016 M2s for ~$400

The M CGB irons are also supposed to be a super forgiving model, but will be $1000+ 

One of the main factors is your budget. We can recommend all these new fancy models like the M CGB but if your budget is only $300 then those wont help.

11 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

@WUTiger,

from what I remember Callaway Game-improvement irons, usually have some of the highest MPF in the industry, does this hold true now?

Using the Golf Digest  Hot List* categories GI and SGI irons, Callaway irons from X12 to X16 and early Berthas had MPF Ratings >900. This puts them all in Maltby's higest category of Ultra Game Improvement. Newer specific irons...

• Hot List SGI: X20 MPF = 1051 / Steelhead XR MPF = 967
  • Hot List GI: X20 Tour MPF = 761 / Steelhead XR Pro MPF = 916

Of the bulleted clubs, all except the X20 Tours fall in Maltby's highest UGI category. (And he ranks X20T as Super Game Improvement)

No MPF ratings yet for the Rogue iron family.

Fitting is a good way to go...

Add the Apex and JPX irons to that list maybe

look for a cavity back. ping has always been known as a forgiving old man clubs. they are appealing to younger people now, but still forgiving. I love forged irons, i would get a mizuno cavity back iron.

@Adams7955, I say "Yes" to what all have said. Also go look at the Maltby Playability Factor. It is in essence a ranking of MOI/forgiveness in irons. Even they say it isn't perfect, but I have found it to be spot on. Also check out "My Golf Spy" on the Web. Best wishes, -Marv PS The current Miz irons I play are classed as ULTRA forgiving on MPF.

• 5 months later...
On 3/9/2018 at 11:34 PM, Adams7955 said:

Hey guys. New to the forum here.. I was wondering what the best forgiving irons are out there.. I played two rounds of golf last week for the first time in 3 years (played horrible both times +17 and +16....Trying to get back into playing again and more often. Been doing a lot of research on the most forgiving irons and I’m leaning towards the titelist AP1 716. I haven’t had time to test any out yet but hoping to go soon.. just wanted to get some opinions.. Thanks

My advice is to test several with steel and graphite shafts.  For whatever reason I can't seem to hit Taylormade irons very well.  Edwin Watts has a great policy with used clubs by letting you exchange for other irons if you don't like the first set.  There is a time limit, but I think it's at least a month. 

Note: This thread is 880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!