IGNORED

USGA/R&A Finalize 2019 Rules of Golf

iacas
Note: This thread is 1841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So my new course here in Saskatoon is Dakota Dunes; it is a rated courses by Golf Canada and used to be host the SK stop of the MacKenzie Tour.

Related to old topics I've seen on it, but the course on its scorecard recommends to treat shots hit into the dunes/prairie grasses as lateral hazards to speed up play.

Im pretty sure this wouldnt be allowed for handicap purposes though as I would see that as not adhering to the rules of golf.

Anyhow, for NEXT year, places of a course like this could be staked off as hazards?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Anyhow, for NEXT year, places of a course like this could be staked off as hazards?

No.

Penalty areas. :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about this today, and was wondering how many decisions will have to be eliminated or rewritten to work within the framework of the new rules.  Seems to me that a good portion of the Decisions book will need to be changed to accommodate the different terminology and simplified interpretation of many rules.  I'd think that will be as big a job in itself as writing the new rule book was. 

Or have they changed the game so much that they will just have to start fresh with decisions based solely on the new rules?  Or do they feel that they have written a rule book that doesn't need any decisions?

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

I was thinking about this today, and was wondering how many decisions will have to be eliminated or rewritten to work within the framework of the new rules.  Seems to me that a good portion of the Decisions book will need to be changed to accommodate the different terminology and simplified interpretation of many rules.  I'd think that will be as big a job in itself as writing the new rule book was. 

Or have they changed the game so much that they will just have to start fresh with decisions based solely on the new rules?  Or do they feel that they have written a rule book that doesn't need any decisions?

Virtually all of them will have to be changed. The Decisions book is probably going to be significantly smaller for now.

It'll need to be completely re-written, too, because the numbers of the Rules have all changed. The terms. Some definitions.

They're starting fresh with a new Decisions book. No, they don't think they won't need Decisions.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They will be producing this:

The Official Guide to the Rules of Golf: This “guidebook” replaces the Decisions book, and will contain information to support committees and officials. It includes interpretations on the Rules, Committee procedures (available model local rules and information on establishing the terms of the competition), and the Modified Rules of Golf for Players with Disabilities.

It is a “long-form” resource document intended as a supplementary publication. It will be available as a pdf around September 2018 and will be available in print before the end of 2018.

Edited by Rulesman

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Thumbs Up 1
"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The android Play Store has an updated app, USGA Rules of Golf 2019.   It was just updated this week.

Yeah, the iOS App Store has the 2019 Rules app as well.

Which is kinda annoying, because they say the 2018 Rules app will be available soon. I hope that soon means "tomorrow" or so, because I have a tournament this weekend. I'd like to have the current rules for that.

IMO they should have simply added an alert to the 2018 rules apps that took you to the 2019 Rules app, which should have (again IMO) been a separate, new application.

38 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The android Play Store has an updated app, USGA Rules of Golf 2019.   It was just updated this week.

Nice! I’ll be getting that. 

On 9/12/2018 at 8:22 PM, iacas said:

Which is kinda annoying, because they say the 2018 Rules app will be available soon. I hope that soon means "tomorrow" or so, because I have a tournament this weekend. I'd like to have the current rules for that.

It's up.

Yeah, it seems strange that they "updated" the app by completely eliminating the current valid rules and putting in the upcoming rules, and then make us download the 2018 rules as a separate app.

1536422481_2018RoG.jpg.30ac50d80d34628717e7c9fb97195d11.jpg

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 9/12/2018 at 8:50 PM, dennyjones said:

I was at the Atlanta workshop this week - if you scroll to the bottom of the download and go to 'settings' you can select 'expert' mode to get the Interpretations too.

• Like 1

Good week to be out of town, Martyn. 😉

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

A furious debate has recently arisen among members of my league regarding the stroke & distance rule replacement for next year, specifically the part relating to lost balls, and even more specifically, balls lost in the rough.  The argument has been, if a ball is underwater in a lake, or in any other hazard (red or yellow stakes) it’s a one stroke penalty but if it has just disappeared in the rough and hasn’t been stumbled over, it’s two strokes?  This is the part that’s meeting with strong resistance. As one long-time member said, “the original ball is equally unplayable so why then should there be unequal penalties?” There's a certain logic to that argument.

We also have some “native grass areas” that the golf club doesn’t want people traipsing through and so those are considered hazards, so it’s a one stroke penalty for balls hit there but balls just off the fairway that can’t be located incur a worse penalty? That’s a hard thing to explain and satisfactorily justify.

At this time, I’m not certain how this is all going to shake out. There is one group who wants to make their own set of "local rules" and then there are some of us who post scores for handicapping purposes and want them to be legit.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

Note: This thread is 1841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!