IGNORED

Shotmakers - New Golf Television Competition at Topgolf

billchao
Note: This thread is 2118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 hours ago, lastings said:

I know long drive is not golf, but I’m shocked at how bad Maurice Allen is. He can barely keep his 9-iron on the course.  

Maybe I'm delusional, while I would get embarrassed by most everyone else on the show, I feel like I would be a better partner on the show than Maurice....

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

first we need to get some bad commentators and crowds that cheer after each shot

No kidding, how irritating is the crowd. They literally cheer immediately after each shot even if someone hooked it off the planet. I tried watching it again today and it's just god awful, unwatchable.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 4/10/2018 at 6:57 PM, iacas said:

I watched the first episode, and am halfway through the second.

So boring.

There is no real "game' i.e. drama to watch. It is truly one player after another making a simple swing to a target.  Some might critique golf as boring to watch, but hell, this is closer to bowling - first frame only - to watch.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Watched a bit online and cant say im sad its not over here in the UK. Lacks excitment. Maybe some explosions for hitting the targets dead centre or something to break the tedium :-P

If you're going to make a lighthearted sports show you have to go a long way to beat bullseye......

Edited by RussUK

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Horrible show. Very little actual shotmaking and the "drama" is so fake. There is nothing entertaining about seeing people hit off matts into large nettings in the ground.

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

(edited)

I watched it last night and it was barely entertaining at all. For the show to be called shotmakers, I didn't see that many "shots" made. I mean, Maurice was terrible with those hooks. There was only one or two guys that were actually hitting descent shots. The one girl was hitting a good driver. I probably won't watch any more. Not enough appeal. But I did enjoy going to TopGolf and playing the games with my son. It's pretty fun if you take it for what it is.

Edited by TN94z
  • Like 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

18 hours ago, NM Golf said:

No kidding, how irritating is the crowd. They literally cheer immediately after each shot even if someone hooked it off the planet. I tried watching it again today and it's just god awful, unwatchable.

It makes me think the cheering is producer-induced. The whole thing feels forced.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)
1 hour ago, TN94z said:

I watched it last night and it was barely entertaining at all. For the show to be called shotmakers, I didn't see that many "shots" made. I mean, Maurice was terrible with those hooks. There was only one or two guys that were actually hitting descent shots. The one girl was hitting a good driver. I probably won't watch any more. Not enough appeal. But I did enjoy going to TopGolf and playing the games with my son. It's pretty fun if you take it for what it is.

Agreed - never been to a TopGolf and is likely to be fun to play...not watch

13 minutes ago, billchao said:

It makes me think the cheering is producer-induced. The whole thing feels forced.

It's definitely forced/artificial 

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I think the idea of trying to bring golf to a wider audience is comendable but, from what i have seen, the execution is poor.

Rather than doing a half baked TV "gameshow" maybe stick to the things they have been trialing like Super Six or the Par 3 format they tried a few years ago where they could choose between two holes, a larger one and a small one for difficulty based points.

There has to be a better way. Cricket got it bang on with 20-20 games and their powerplay rules. I just think we need an exciting and fun format to get people interested in the sport then they are more likely to get into the traditional formats. If it can work with cricket it can work with anything ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

The producer-induced sign waving and constant cheering is the most annoying thing.  I can handle the boring part, hell, most golf coverage on TGC is 80% putting.

At least this show is about golf.

I turned on TGC last night and it was showing Hockey.

WTF? 

2 hours ago, 3jacker said:

I turned on TGC last night and it was showing Hockey.

Yep: 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

there is a TopGolf being built near me in Michigan, so I was really interested in this show at first...but after watching a few episodes the competitions themselves are just so poor.  The easiest shot to make in the game (the trench) is worth the most points?  If you can hit a long iron reasonably straight you're guaranteed more points than anything but a bullseye just about anywhere else....and the players realized that so when given an option its just trench after trench attempt.

That said, the overall shotmaking is pretty bad...so many zeroes in each show.  The winning team is usually the only team to have both players succeed.

This probably could be more fun to watch if they changed everything about it....at least I know the concept of what TopGolf will be when construction is completed here.

-Eric

1 hour ago, Friz said:

there is a TopGolf being built near me in Michigan, so I was really interested in this show at first...but after watching a few episodes the competitions themselves are just so poor.  The easiest shot to make in the game (the trench) is worth the most points?  If you can hit a long iron reasonably straight you're guaranteed more points than anything but a bullseye just about anywhere else....and the players realized that so when given an option its just trench after trench attempt.

That said, the overall shotmaking is pretty bad...so many zeroes in each show.  The winning team is usually the only team to have both players succeed.

This probably could be more fun to watch if they changed everything about it....at least I know the concept of what TopGolf will be when construction is completed here.

These players are mostly legit golfers. Much more legit than I.  

Its way easier to hit 7/10 at the 180, than it is to hit 1/1.    Same reason everyone thinks they’re so good at the driving range. 

Just sayin’

• Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Just now, lastings said:

These players are mostly legit golfers. Much more legit than I.  

Its way easier to hit 7/10 at the 180, than it is to hit 1/1.    Same reason everyone thinks they’re so good at the driving range. 

Just sayin’

oh i'm not doubting their actual ability, it was more a comment about the fact that it makes for really poor viewing when they miss so often.

-Eric

19 minutes ago, lastings said:

Just sayin’

Good point - I hadn't considered that. 

Still, I think I'd do better than Maurice :-P

-Jonny

I find it odd that a couple of these highly skilled women can't get a drive to carry 200 yards from an elevated tee.

The actual contest is slightly interesting.  More interesting than anything on FOX or CNN. The production is ridiculous. The over-the-top screaming and hollering is ridiculous.  It's the same no matter how bad the shot.  Silly GC nonsense.

59 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

I find it odd that a couple of these highly skilled women can't get a drive to carry 200 yards from an elevated tee.

Topgolf uses limited flight range balls according to just about every review and comment I've read of the place.

Still can't find a good reason to go to one.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

44 minutes ago, billchao said:

Topgolf uses limited flight range balls according to just about every review and comment I've read of the place.

this a real downside for me.  if I'm going to any kind of range, I want to hit my distances.  (regardless of whether I can get wings and beer there).

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!