IGNORED

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 2203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

• Tiger
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
    • Someone not listed above
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

• First
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
    • MC

5 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I'm going for a Tommy Fleetwood or Justin Rose win this year.  Fleetwood has been steady for a while, Rose has been hot this year so far.  Of course I want to see Woods do well too, but I'd like to see one of the other guys win it.

Fleetwood is my dark horse pick this year. He's an incredible ball striker. I'm a little mad you've outed him before I came in and named him.

• Like 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

I am pulling for him to win also! It would be way beyond a "huge step" if he were to win the Masters this year. It would be comparable to Hogan winning the first of his majors coming back from that horrific car/bus accident. Not only would Tiger have overcome all the injuries you mention, but don't forget his legal battles, along with drug and sex addiction. It would be an inspirational story if he was able to come back from a place where his marriage fell apart in public view after he was found passed out in his driveway with the windows of his vehicle smashed. The parade of extra marital affairs revealed. This followed by a arrest for DUI last year accompanied by a humiliating mug shot seen the world over. Add his addiction to painkillers as yet another hurdle he is attempting to clear, and it becomes an even bigger story if he can walk off with a victory at Augusta. It would be so nice to see! Who knows what might be in store for this next chapter in his career? If he can stay healthy, and continue to receive the counseling any recovering addict needs, he can accomplish anything he wants. In golf, and more importantly, in life.. 

As much as I want him to win at Augusta. (I mean he's the reason I started playing golf). I also want him to win at life. Life does throw you curveballs. Everyone has struggles, whether it's family, financial, addiction, health, what not. But it's not the struggles that make the man. It's how a man faces those struggles and overcomes them.

When Sergio won the Masters last year, I made a comment that Sergio seemed at peace with himself. (Congrats on Sergio becoming a dad are in order.) Tiger is starting to seem to me like he's in that place. That's why I think he is way ahead of schedule. He is at peace with himself finally. He really does. That's why I believe he can win the Masters. 

Now he's hanging out with like JT, Rickie, DJ and Patrick Reed... He used to never let people into his private life... He has people in his corner. You need those people when making changes in your life.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

DJ at 9/1 odds seems way too high IMO. He was the favorite going in last year as well despite the fact that he's never really been in contention there (two top 10s). No doubt he could win there, but I would look to more of the usual Augusta suspects for my picks. 

18 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

As much as I want him to win at Augusta. (I mean he's the reason I started playing golf). I also want him to win at life. Life does throw you curveballs. Everyone has struggles, whether it's family, financial, addiction, health, what not. But it's not the struggles that make the man. It's how a man faces those struggles and overcomes them.

When Sergio won the Masters last year, I made a comment that Sergio seemed at peace with himself. (Congrats on Sergio becoming a dad are in order.) Tiger is starting to seem to me like he's in that place. That's why I think he is way ahead of schedule. He is at peace with himself finally. He really does. That's why I believe he can win the Masters. 

Now he's hanging out with like JT, Rickie, DJ and Patrick Reed... He used to never let people into his private life... He has people in his corner. You need those people when making changes in your life.

I thought the same after seeing his interview yesterday after Round 1 of the API. He seems grateful to just be playing the game again. 

I chose Tiger to win simply because this whole story feels inevitable. Augusta does not punish wayward drives as much as other courses and his driving is the only part of his game with any trouble right now. 

• Like 1

- Mark

2 minutes ago, Braivo said:

I thought the same after seeing his interview yesterday after Round 1 of the API. He seems grateful to just be playing the game again. 

I chose Tiger to win simply because this whole story feels inevitable. Augusta does not punish wayward drives as much as other courses and his driving is the only part of his game with any trouble right now. 

Agree with both posts here. He does seem grateful, and seems to be interacting much differently from what we see. Hopefully this speaks to how seriously he took the counseling he undertook for various issues. In order for counseling to work, a degree of humility and I'm searching here ...surrender(?) seems to be needed. He does seem like a different person right now. Not only more likeable, but hopefully much more healthy and secure in his own mind and life. 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

If he did pull it off it would rate right up there with Jack's 86 win. Would the roars be as loud? I'd love to see Phil in the hunt too.

Live from the doghouse.

21 hours ago, iacas said:

And with 1 great week of performance someone else can/will jump into the better than 25/1 odds category; I am always amazed by golf odds.
Watch what happens if Stenson, Leismann or even DeChambeau win this week.

I think it would be an interesting bet to make how many of the top 10 in odds to win will finish in the top 10 of the Masters? how many with odds over 100/1 will finish in the top 100
(for a measure this there are currently 36 players with better than 100/1 odds and 82 with 100/1 or worse odds - per vegasinsider.com)

Players play, tough players win!

20 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

He definitely seems much happier now than he has ever been. But it seems to me like he has been a head case in majors ever since Yang beat him. He puts so much pressure on himself to win those tournaments that he can't get it done like he used to. I would like to see him get another green jacket because it seems like he has underachieved in that major compared to the others.

Jack and Arnold played a practice round with Tiger in 1995 and said he could/should win 10 of these things. He's stuck at 4 right next to Arnold. Lots of close calls where the putter didn't cooperate. It remains to be seen if he can put it all together. I would like to see him pull it off one of these years.

This masters can go so many different directions that would be great for the game and great storylines. Obviously, Tiger would be  amazing, but Rory completing the grand slam, Jordan cementing some masters dominance, Phil winning another major at 47, DJ grabbing his second major and creating further distance in OWGR...come on April!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Braivo said:

Augusta is a second shot golf course. Usually a bad drive can still be played toward the green. On the par-fives, usually it means some sort of lay-up.

He does genuinely seem to be grateful to be playing again. And as someone put it before,  genuine gratitude for opportunities is evidence, that Tiger is in a good place in his personal life.

I think either Sam or Charlie are going to caddie for him at the par-3 Contest. I know him and Elin are divorced, but I've heard that they get along well enough, so the kids don't have negative opinions of either parent. We all make mistakes, we're human. Golf isn't a game of absolute perfection either, so it is a great analogy to life. Which is why I love the game so much? (Even though sometimes it doesn't love me back)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Still mad @iacas for starting this thread instead of me

It's a pretty cheap way to get a Kickstarter of the Month award, man. :-)

You should claim some other achievements. You have… zero. You play golf, right? You have a copy of LSW, no?

15 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Augusta is a second shot golf course. Usually a bad drive can still be played toward the green. On the par-fives, usually it means some sort of lay-up.

I've heard credible arguments that it's more of a tee shot golf course these days.

Which is part of the reason why he's played well but hasn't won since 2005.

15 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I think either Sam or Charlie are going to caddie for him at the par-3 Contest. I know him and Elin are divorced, but I've heard that they get along well enough, so the kids don't have negative opinions of either parent.

All I've heard from people pretty close is that he's a pretty involved and good dad. But whatever; I don't really care too much about that. I hate the par three contest, too. Yuck.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

You should claim some other achievements. You have… zero. You play golf, right? You have a copy of LSW, no?

I've heard credible arguments that it's more of a tee shot golf course these days.

Which is part of the reason why he's played well but hasn't won since 2005.

All I've heard from people pretty close is that he's a pretty involved and good dad. But whatever; I don't really care too much about that. I hate the par three contest, too. Yuck.

Much more of a tee shot course than it was absolutely. Tiger can win if he can just straighten out the driver just a bit. There a certain tee shots at Augusta that a little wayward is okay. (Not in the eighth fairway off of the first tee), but a little right at 10 is ok, right at 13 just usually means lay-up (don't tell Phil). As does right at 15. And there is room left at 17, if you like playing from over by 7. I see what you are getting at @iacas. With the second cut of rough, the newly planted trees, and the new length and angles of the tee shots, I can see where it is a tee shot course.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I think right is the place to be on 15, Trees on the left would mean a big hook going for the green on the second shot and risking going over cause you ain't spinning a big hook.

Live from the doghouse.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It's really my only shot at winning kickstarter...lol you blew up my spot...

I've never really honestly looked at what the achievements require

Colin P.

Looking at the polls I picked C (someone else in the top 15 - meaning JT, Rahm, Rose, Matsuyama, Rickie, Koepka, Sergio, Fleets, Casey Hatton & Stenson ... seems like the best bet of all the options), and top 10 is bailing out on picking him top 5 because Tiger hasn't been a great closer when he isn't in the lead, especially in majors (IMO)

Players play, tough players win!

• Administrator

Every day they're putting up a special unique clip. This one is of Butler Cabin.

Here are their previous ones:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!