IGNORED

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 2176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

• Tiger
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
    • Someone not listed above
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

• First
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
    • MC

We can analyze all we want, but golf is a pretty difficult sport to make bets on, if you exclude Tiger in his prime. Consistency is so difficult, great results one week can be gone the next.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The YouTube channel has a new playlist. Why is Jimmy (I hate that guy) Roberts narrating a video? I thought that kind of thing was exclusively CBS. What do I know.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Anyone have any tips for patrons going?  Best gate, good place to view, etc.  We'll be there Saturday for sure.  Has any one had any luck with buy badges from people leaving throughout the day? I see they can be used up to 3 times per day.  We'll be in town Thursday so I wasn't sure if it was worth it to walk down Friday around noon to see if people were leaving and try to get their badge.  Thanks!

Feels like the Masters is more hyped this year than normal. Wonder why that might be...?

I went with Tiger ending up Top 20 and winner being one of Spieth, Dustin or Rory. Just because I can see one of them getting hot. After a lot of shoot outs recently, I'd like to see a packed leaderboard on Sunday with loads of players making a run at it.

Very excited...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Guesses....

JT, Justin Rose, Sergio: Serious contenders - If I had to pick one for the win it would be JT

Tiger hangs around and scares the leader on Sunday (plays REALLY good, but not through the entire stretch and never 'really' in contention).  Dustin too, but less so.

Rory....if he wins, it's a blowout, but likely 2 great rounds, one average round, but a blowup round on a bad day

Bubba/Phil/Jordan/Rickie/Rahm/Hideki/Casey/Day....shows up, doesn't make a real splash

I wish Fleetwood and Adam Scott would show up, but I'm not seeing it lately....

Who do I want to win?  that's a big list.  But Rory for the Grand Slam, Tiger for the comeback. 

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Good to see Augusta upping their game a bit on scalpers...sadly as long as someone can buy (win) a lottery tickets for $65 and sell it for $1,000+, people will find a way.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/03/27/masters-tickets-looking-buy-or-sell-pre-owned-tickets-buyers-and-sellers-beware

IMO the easiest/most effective way to get around this is to have people show ID when entering the tournament. Each group of tickets (2 or 4) will be in the name of the individual that won them in the lotto and that person must be in attendance in addition to their 1 or 3 guests. It would slow the entry process a decent amount but if done correctly the end result would significantly reduce (not eliminate) scalping opportunities. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

Guesses....

JT, Justin Rose, Sergio: Serious contenders - If I had to pick one for the win it would be JT

Tiger hangs around and scares the leader on Sunday (plays REALLY good, but not through the entire stretch and never 'really' in contention).  Dustin too, but less so.

Rory....if he wins, it's a blowout, but likely 2 great rounds, one average round, but a blowup round on a bad day

Bubba/Phil/Jordan/Rickie/Rahm/Hideki/Casey/Day....shows up, doesn't make a real splash

I wish Fleetwood and Adam Scott would show up, but I'm not seeing it lately....

Who do I want to win?  that's a big list.  But Rory for the Grand Slam, Tiger for the comeback. 

Justin Thomas hits the ball high enough and far enough, to get around Augusta and hold the ledges and ridges on the greens, I'll buy that.

J-Rose: Redemption

Sergio: Defending champion

Tiger: I'll buy that to a point. He gets any form of a solo lead on the second nine Sunday and he's in the Top 5 or 6 coming in, (meaning he leads the tournament by the time the final two reach the 10th tee). If he birdies the par-5s he'll be hard to beat.

Rory: Totally agree

Next point: Yup.

Tiger winning would be huge.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 25/03/2018 at 11:47 PM, Vinsk said:

The fact that Danny Willet won shows the difficulty in predictions. Sunday at The Masters is definitely my favorite sporting event. Maybe a new thread, probably not necessary, but I’m curious who are your top 5 ‘would like to see win?’ 

1. Tiger 2. Phil 3. Fowler 4. DJ 5. Rose

Rather, the winner of every Masters ever played shows the impossibility of predictions. If that were not so, we'd all be billionaires. How was Willett's unlikely victory different from any other?

Having players you'd like to win is one thing, but people saying they think so and so will win, or worse, saying they thought so and so would win after the fact is silly. :-)

People I'd like to see win: Tiger (the game needs it) Rory (he's too good not to have a Masters win on his list) Day, DJ, Rose, Leishman, Fowler or Fleetwood.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Maybe we should just enjoy it, then analyze it next week as it happens. It's fun to predict the winner and how it will go. However, it's more fun to watch it unfold, and discuss it as it's happening. These threads seem to get more traffic then anyway.:-)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I'm just hopeful that this Masters lives up to the hype. The stars appear to be aligning for a great weekend but you never know when a Danny Willett or Steward Cink (no offense to him) can come along and ruin the story line ;-)

Tiger favorite 9:1, but was at 9:4 in 2000. I guess four times harder to win today. Interestingly 2nd ranking (10:1) odds are similar. I guess more proof how otherworldly TW was in 2000.   

I think someone from top 15. Woods playing well enough and lots of momentum to get him a top 10. 

Vishal S.

24 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Tiger favorite 9:1, but was at 9:4 in 2000. I guess four times harder to win today. Interestingly 2nd ranking (10:1) odds are similar. I guess more proof how otherworldly TW was in 2000.   

I think someone from top 15. Woods playing well enough and lots of momentum to get him a top 10. 

We gotta stop predicting this. We should just use reverse psychology and predict he's going to finish 50th. 

It always seems especially on Sundays golfers come out of nowhere to get in contention.

I voted he'd win... But probably realistically top-5 to top-10 would be great. Remember he has not had a solo lead at any stage of a Sunday round in 5 years. If he gets one at Augusta, he'll win... I won't guarantee it. But if he gets a solo lead on the second nine, he'll win it.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

2 minutes ago, FreeLessonWes84 said:

I think justin thomas has proven himself in the past 2 years. He is on his way to a Major Win. Could be the Masters. :-D

He won the PGA last August where have you been?

• Like 2

What's in Shane's Bag?     

29 minutes ago, FreeLessonWes84 said:

I think justin thomas has proven himself in the past 2 years. He is on his way to a Major Win. Could be the Masters. :-D

He is the best player in the world right now. Nobody has played better the last year or so. That being said he has STRUGGLED at Augusta with no rounds in the 60's but the course and his game are a good match.

Trollin' is the life

• Administrator

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Finally! The Masters has been falling flat on the technology in later years. Not the entire course yet, but it's a start. 

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

16 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

We gotta stop predicting this.

No deal - I used a random number generator and I'm sticking to it

aside - I like shot tracer

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!