IGNORED

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 2194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

• Tiger
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
    • Someone not listed above
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

• First
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
    • MC

Ran into this in my notes. I can never memorize ANGC's back nine hole names straight up. This is my mind palace for remembering:

A camel (Camelia) met up with a Samoy (a white dog - White Dogwood), went up a church steeple and rang its bell gleaming golden in the sun (Golden Bell) so as to let their Aztec (Azalea) and Chinese (Chinese Fur) friends know they were there. The went into the church to the pastor’s office and started up the fireplace (Firethorn), the flames burned red like Citizen Kane’s Rosebud (Redbud) as the camel’s nanna (Nandina) and Holly (Holly) Hunter dropped in for a surprise visit.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ScouseJohnny said:

What is Tiger Woods's profession? Answer: he is an entertainer. That's how he makes his living. The entertainment he provides is playing golf, very well. Somehow, society has determined that playing golf well deserves better financial rewards and a higher media profile, than, say, being an expert fencer. Or an expert crown green bowler. Or an expert billiards player. That is neither here nor there: if there are any financial rewards to be found in playing sport professionally, they stem from entertaining other people, who attend the matches or tune in to watch. A professional sportsman is just that - an entertainer.

If you choose to use the personal, perceived shortcomings of an entertainer as a criterion in whether you can enjoy their performance, or relate to it, or are willing to pay to experience it, well...you're likely going to be awfully disappointed.

My apartment is full of books, records/CDs, and DVDs. I could pull a volume of Jack Kerouac or Hunter S. Thompson from the bookshelf, or stick a Clapton, Charlie Parker, or Rolling Stones record on the turntable.

Or I could drive to the Museum of Fine Art in Richmond, VA, (as I often do) to admire the Jackson Pollock paintings they have there.

Many of the aforementioned entertainers (which is all they are/were) led lives that make Mr. Woods look like a paragon of virtue.

Today, the #MeToo movement seeks to hold people to account (which is commendable). But guess what? A century from now people will still gush over Manhattan and Rosemary's Baby as works of art, regardless of the proven or suspected crimes of their creators.

Back to reality: Mr. Woods appears to have been unfaithful to his wife. He also was arrested and prosecuted for DUI. Frankly, that's small potatoes. I have no idea where the limit is for a successful entertainer to become a Pariah, but that's not even close.

Top comment

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

What are the chances there is a major letdown from Tiger? I'm thinking it is better than some think. He will play a field with all the top players, he will have to hit driver and if he lays back his prox to the hole will lead to 3 putts hitting longer irons in. I think it is a sucker bet to bet on him unless you got him at the 100-1 odds before the bahamas.

Trollin' is the life

5 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

What are the chances there is a major letdown from Tiger? I'm thinking it is better than some think. He will play a field with all the top players, he will have to hit driver and if he lays back his prox to the hole will lead to 3 putts hitting longer irons in. I think it is a sucker bet to bet on him unless you got him at the 100-1 odds before the bahamas.

It could be a major letdown. He doesn't need to hit as many drivers as you would think though.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
1 hour ago, MuniGrit said:

Maybe.

But this is the type of comment where you just ignore it if he finishes top five, and you trot it out if he happens to falter.

The guy finished T4 in 2010 after all the 2009 stuff and not really even playing golf for months leading up to the event. He plays well at the course even when he's doing poorly, otherwise.

We'll see, but signs point to him doing well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe.

But this is the type of comment where you just ignore it if he finishes top five, and you trot it out if he happens to falter.

The guy finished T4 in 2010 after all the 2009 stuff and not really even playing golf for months leading up to the event. He plays well at the course even when he's doing poorly, otherwise.

We'll see, but signs point to him doing well.

I'm not saying he can't play well but I think this is a case where he is happy with his game and actually expects to do well. Sometimes you can get too hyped up and do well. Opposite is like 2010 he had low expectations and played well. Sometimes you do well when you aren't expecting it. We see it all the time. Now the course does seem to have players that always play well and he fits that profile. 

Trollin' is the life

43 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

I'm not saying he can't play well but I think this is a case where he is happy with his game and actually expects to do well. Sometimes you can get too hyped up and do well. Opposite is like 2010 he had low expectations and played well. Sometimes you do well when you aren't expecting it. We see it all the time. Now the course does seem to have players that always play well and he fits that profile. 

I see that now. As Erik said above Tiger is in good form. The driver needs some work. Hopefully it's sorted out before Thursday. 

If he doesn't win, he'll be right there. Also as @iacas has said, he's way ahead of schedule. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

This forecast looks better than before

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 3.48.23 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Some insight from Tiger Woods on Amen Corner

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

For a minute, I thought this was going to be a video like one of his old Nike commercials...

"Golf's not hard"

- John

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I'll watch it later but let me guess. Front right/short of 11. Get par move on. 12 middle of the green club selection is key to stay out of the water and much easier hole for a lefty. 13 is hard right to left bomb. Easy birdie with eagle chance if you hit a good drive. You won't see me hit driver in it because of the big miss.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

On 27/03/2018 at 1:07 PM, GrandStranded said:

How realistic do you think Tiger is as the 4th choice? The fact there are so many Tiger fans will obviously lower his odds. I'm not too familiar with betting golf (a little too familiar with other sports however) but some of these prices look tempting. Rory, JT, Phil and Bubba especially.  

The fact of the matter is that all of those guys could also be an even money bet to miss the cut. I just like to watch it unfold and hope that players I like make it exciting.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Poulter made it after all with the win in Houston. Good for him. 

• Like 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Regarding Tiger's chances of winning, as best I can tell, over his career, Tiger won about 1 out of 4 tournaments he entered, and he finished top 10 in about half of them. 

So, in my judgment, based on a 42 year old Tiger who is probably not quite his old self,  would set the odds of Tiger winning the Masters at about 15%.  I would set the odds of him finishing top-10 at about 40%. 

Right now, if I had to pick a player, I would put my money on Bubba Watson.  If I had to pick 5 players, I would pick Tiger as one of the 5. 

20 hours ago, ScouseJohnny said:

What is Tiger Woods's profession? Answer: he is an entertainer. That's how he makes his living. The entertainment he provides is playing golf, very well. Somehow, society has determined that playing golf well deserves better financial rewards and a higher media profile, than, say, being an expert fencer. Or an expert crown green bowler. Or an expert billiards player. That is neither here nor there: if there are any financial rewards to be found in playing sport professionally, they stem from entertaining other people, who attend the matches or tune in to watch. A professional sportsman is just that - an entertainer.

If you choose to use the personal, perceived shortcomings of an entertainer as a criterion in whether you can enjoy their performance, or relate to it, or are willing to pay to experience it, well...you're likely going to be awfully disappointed.

My apartment is full of books, records/CDs, and DVDs. I could pull a volume of Jack Kerouac or Hunter S. Thompson from the bookshelf, or stick a Clapton, Charlie Parker, or Rolling Stones record on the turntable.

Or I could drive to the Museum of Fine Art in Richmond, VA, (as I often do) to admire the Jackson Pollock paintings they have there.

Many of the aforementioned entertainers (which is all they are/were) led lives that make Mr. Woods look like a paragon of virtue.

Today, the #MeToo movement seeks to hold people to account (which is commendable). But guess what? A century from now people will still gush over Manhattan and Rosemary's Baby as works of art, regardless of the proven or suspected crimes of their creators.

Back to reality: Mr. Woods appears to have been unfaithful to his wife. He also was arrested and prosecuted for DUI. Frankly, that's small potatoes. I have no idea where the limit is for a successful entertainer to become a Pariah, but that's not even close.

I'm one of the biggest TW fans around, but I don't think that entertainers should get a pass for bad deeds. I don't watch Woody Allen movies anymore, despite how much I love him, because he's gross and has suffered no punishment for it. Obviously, Tiger hasn't done anything within the realm of what Allen did, but you get what I'm saying.  

Tiger, on the other hand, has lost hundreds of millions of dollars in sponsorships and endorsements and through his divorce. He's been mocked relentlessly for almost a decade now. If anyone has paid the price for their indiscretions, it's him. 

On a side note: it's hard to find the right balance of art v artist. I love the work of Ernest Hemingway, but recognize what a bastard he was. Maybe him being gone makes it easier to justify being a fan. It's certainly complicated. 

But anyway-- I think he has a very good shot. Great iron players usually have an advantage at Augusta, and he's the best of his generation, and maybe of all time. If not Tiger, I think Xander Schauffle has a chance. Not saying as the favorite, but I love his game and his swing. 

Edited by jbishop15
whoops! back on topic!

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• Administrator

How on Earth will the god blessed patrons be able to contain themselves when they observe the majestic spelendor of the Butler Cabin? The noble ghosts of champions past driving down Magnolia Lane in their pristine Packards? The serenity of Rae's Creek? 

I dont know...i just dont know.. Im fainting just thinking about it. 

THE MASTERS

Note: This thread is 2194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!