onthehunt526

Found a set of Big Bertha 2004 woods on eBay so I bought them

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ah, 2004. Back when golf was simpler.

Smaller headed drivers, shorter shafted drivers, etc.

I picked up a set of Callaway Big Bertha 2004 woods with a 10° Driver, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9 woods (yes I bought a damn 9 wood). It has the Callaway RCH shafts in the driver, 5-wood, 7-wood and 9-wood... the old "Memphis 10" uniflex steel in the 3-wood. And an Aldila NV 65 S shaft in the 4-wood. The Driver, 5-wood, and 7-wood are regular flex shafts and the 4 and 9 woods are stiff/firm.

Does anyone remember playing these? Does anyone still play these?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

43 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I picked up a set of Callaway Big Bertha 2004 woods with a 10° Driver, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9 woods (yes I bought a damn 9 wood). It has the Callaway RCH shafts in the driver, 5-wood, 7-wood and 9-wood... the old "Memphis 10" uniflex steel in the 3-wood. And an Aldila NV 65 S shaft in the 4-wood. The Driver, 5-wood, and 7-wood are regular flex shafts and the 4 and 9 woods are stiff/firm.

I had that driver and 3 wood!!! Not sure what the loft was, but I had them with the RCH shaft also.....

58 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

@colin007 I actually am tossing around the idea of if the 20° hybrid is out of the bag, I honestly tossed around throwing the 9-wood in and screwing around with it,

12 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

@colin007 I actually am tossing around the idea of if the 20° hybrid is out of the bag, I honestly tossed around throwing the 9-wood in and screwing around with it,

Hmm...do you think that's an even swap replacement? If so, does the 9 look better to you visually than the hybrid?

14 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I picked up a set of Callaway Big Bertha 2004 woods with a 10° Driver, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9 woods (yes I bought a damn 9 wood)

Now you're scaring me!

Just 15 feet away in my museum area of the dining room, I have the major items from the Great Big Bertha HawkEye titanium-headed fairway woods (circa 1999).

• 2 Wood (an actual Deuce, man!)
  • 3, 5, 7, 9 Woods

fwoods-gbb-hawkeye___3.png?sfrm=png&sw=500All have the HawkEye UL regular flex graphite shaft, with Golf Pride New Decade midsizes. Got the 3 - 9Ws for $40 each (already regripped). The Deuce came from a separate shop for $15, and I regripped it to match.

Oth, your 9W tale has me wondering...I really need to take the HawkEyes out and test them, maybe put into  my bag for a nine. I played the 3W on one cold day two years ago, testing it out from tee and turf, and was surprised how well it flew.

=====================

Also, I have a cousin, the BB Warbird +4 (strong 4W) with a Fiber-X Colonial graphite shaft. (Early post-fiberglas graphite maker F-X has since passed on to golf heaven, according to an old pro in the area).

17 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Now you're scaring me!

Just 15 feet away in my museum area of the dining room, I have the major items from the Great Big Bertha HawkEye titanium-headed fairway woods (circa 1999).

• 2 Wood (an actual Deuce, man!)
  • 3, 5, 7, 9 Woods

fwoods-gbb-hawkeye___3.png?sfrm=png&sw=500All have the HawkEye UL regular flex graphite shaft, with Golf Pride New Decade midsizes. Got the 3 - 9Ws for $40 each (already regripped). The Deuce came from a separate shop for $15, and I regripped it to match.

Oth, your 9W tale has me wondering...I really need to take the HawkEyes out and test them, maybe put into  my bag for a nine. I played the 3W on one cold day two years ago, testing it out from tee and turf, and was surprised how well it flew.

=====================

Also, I have a cousin, the BB Warbird +4 (strong 4W) with a Fiber-X Colonial graphite shaft. (Early post-fiberglas graphite maker F-X has since passed on to golf heaven, according to an old pro in the area).

I just more or less just want to screw around with the 9W. That's all.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:56 PM, onthehunt526 said:

Sweet setup!

A buddy gave me his BB 3 & 5 woods a few years back and I liked them so much I found someone selling 1,2,4,&7 woods.  Got em wicked cheap.

1 & 3 have the Callaway RCH shafts, the 2,4,5 & 7 are steel on my sticks.  I have been using that 5 wood for years and sometimes use the 3 wood as well.

At the end of last season I did some testing with my son and found the 2 and 4 to be the better so I used them for a round or two.

I like old clubs, do not like hybrids and am a fan of long irons.

48 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Sweet setup!

A buddy gave me his BB 3 & 5 woods a few years back and I liked them so much I found someone selling 1,2,4,&7 woods.  Got em wicked cheap.

1 & 3 have the Callaway RCH shafts, the 2,4,5 & 7 are steel on my sticks.  I have been using that 5 wood for years and sometimes use the 3 wood as well.

At the end of last season I did some testing with my son and found the 2 and 4 to be the better so I used them for a round or two.

I like old clubs, do not like hybrids and am a fan of long irons.

Back around when these came out, hybrids were in their infancy. The only couple I honestly remember being a big deal were the Nike CPR and the Sonartec ones (namely because of Todd Hamilton at Royal Troon).

Basically it was a time if you couldn't hit a long iron, you had a 7, 9, or 11 wood to replace it. 

I yesterday picked up the 11-wood on eBay that matches the 6 I picked up last week.

I noticed the driver isn't huge, probably around 380cc also.

Edited by onthehunt526

@onthehunt526 That's awesome!  I knew they had a 9w but didn't know about the 11w.

Cool setup!  I'm jealous!! :beer:

Now you just have to find the deuce to complete the set.

Edited by Vinny Cap

My business partner has a Big Bertha Steelhead Plus driver leaning against his bookcase in the office next door to mine. I can't help but pick it up and swing it every time I walk into his office (20 times per day, maybe?). 

It's funny, because I was just making fun of how old it is (it was his father's, he doesn't use it), and we looked it up to see how old it was (1999, in this case).

Edited by hilmar2k

I don't think that Callaway made a #2 wood in the 2004 Big Bertha release, I know they still did their 3+ (13°) and 4+ (15°) which was a 2-wood and 3-wood on a 3 and 4 wood shaft respectively. I just need the former 2 and the 13 wood to complete the set. The 13 wood is so rare, people are charging $120 for just the 13-wood used. 

It kind of in a way reminds me of the first set of clubs that I actually bought myself, I bought a used Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood at Play-It-Again Sports for like $35 in 2004. 

But it bring back memories of when the heads were smaller, I haven't even been able to attempt to hit any of them yet. But I think the Driver would be a little more erratic, but the fairways a little easier to handle. I thought of taking out my Wilson 1200 GE Driver (laminated maple), My Big Bertha 2004 (smaller titanium), and my EX10 (460cc Titanium) for a little test. To be fair the Wilson has a steel shaft, but the Callaway and Exotics are both 44" graphite... So I think it would be fun.

I've also heard of and know some people that have fairway woods from the late 90s and early 2000s and haven't upgraded because they haven't found anything better. You never know it might be the case. Like Ben Crenshaw and "Gentle Ben" with that 31" shaft and paddle grip (I think he still putts with it, now, and he only plays the Legends of Golf (because that's a glorified Par-3 Tournament).

I played those woods years back.  All of them, Driver, 4- and 7-wood, shafts broke about 1" from the point at which the shaft inserted into each club head.  Since I purchased them from a local golf retailer, each club was sent back to Callaway and reshafted free of charge, no questions asked.

If you've never played the Big Bertha club line, I hope the shafts perform better for you than they did for me!  Good luck and enjoy your ebay find.

dave

Doing some browsing, I see that they have many different Revs of the Big Bertha line.

I guess I also missed the 2004 part... LOL

Mine are older ones... here is what my 2w looks like.

image.png.2ff9cfe5f6d41355accb9487f23884b2.png