IGNORED

Patrick Reed vs. the Rules of Golf

NM Golf

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

While true, his point was also true: star players likely get different treatment.

ROs are taught to be impartial, and so his behavior is likely to make him unliked by officials, if it's a pattern and oft-repeated, but it shouldn't really have much actual effect.

With 5 wins on the PGA Tour shouldn't he be considered a star player? I mean I consider him a star player, especially with his Ryder Cup heroics. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 minute ago, NM Golf said:

With 5 wins on the PGA Tour shouldn't he be considered a star player? I mean I consider him a star player, especially with his Ryder Cup heroics. 

No.

Fringe, but no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 year later...

Watching the Hero thingy right now, Reed improved his lie, not once, but twice in sand. Flicked sand away from behind the ball twice while setting up for a shot.

Wish I had video. It's blatant and egregious.

I guess Patrick Reed's reputation as a fat piece of garbage cheater is warranted?

Edited by colin007
Clarification

Colin P.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Watching the Hero thingy right now, Reed improved his lie, not once, but twice in a bunker. 

It's not a "bunker." It's a "waste area."

You still can't improve your lie, and I am about to see it in a few minutes here, but I wanted to point out that it's not a bunker.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Patrick Reed Relief Comment

Watching the Hero thingy right now, Reed improved his lie, not once, but twice in sand. Flicked sand away from behind the ball twice while setting up for a shot.

Wish I had video. It's blatant and egregious.

I guess Patrick Reed's reputation as a fat piece of garbage cheater is warranted?

Waiting to see what the Tour's decision is, but unless I'm missing something, it was one of the most blatant lie improvements I've ever seen. He opened up a nice little lane for his club.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

I’d say it looks as bad as Gary Player’s lie improvement at The Open at St. Andrews. Do you believe this is blatant?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

Maybe he learned this trick from Gary Player. 🙂

Ha, @Vinsk, PReed's is worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

So how does the discussion with Fatrick go? Do they just tell him how many strokes to add or do they ask him what he was thinking? Does it matter that he did it twice - separate penalties?

Colin P.

• Administrator

So how does the discussion with Fatrick go? Do they just tell him how many strokes to add or do they ask him what he was thinking? Does it matter that he did it twice - separate penalties?

I'd be tempted to penalize him twice. They were two separate acts, and if he was gonna do it… he should've gotten his money's worth with the first swipe.

I bet the PGA Tour finds a way to let him off the hook by adding "intent" to a rule where there is no such thing.

2015, too.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Somewhat surprised he was penalized. Remember, this is the event where Hideki probably should have been penalized and they didn't enforce it because he didn't have intent or whatever:

"Somewhat" because this was so blatant. And definitively caught on camera. Pretty bad.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It's not a "bunker." It's a "waste area."

You still can't improve your lie, and I am about to see it in a few minutes here, but I wanted to point out that it's not a bunker.

Not watching the tournament, but was wondering about that.

• Administrator

The rule doesn't involve "intent."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1