IGNORED

Patrick Reed vs. the Rules of Golf

NM Golf

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Video?

I’ve been switching between golf and the news so can’t rewind. First drop Reed claimed his ball was embedded , took a drop and then called over the rules official and told him what he had done and showed him the plug mark. Only the tv showed the ball had bounced( don’t know if this could be seen from the tee). Second drop was ngir   and he took a wide stance to make sure he could claim relief. Then proceeded to play the shot with a stance less than half the width of his pre drop stance. So nothing concrete, but if I was playing (fairly unlikely of course) I would be keeping a very close eye on him. 

Stevie T

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, Beastie said:

One golf hole, two dubious drops.. 

To my way of thinking (oftentimes faulty):

1.  Unless they had a local rule Lift, Clean & Place doesn't apply in the rough.

2.  Reed tried to use the Embedded Ball rule even though his ball wasn't embedded.

3.  He showed the rules official the deep hole and claimed he fetched his ball out of that hole... he did not.  It was a foot forward sitting in the rough at ground level.  Probably with mud on it.

4.  Worst of all - he used his driver to measure his drop thereby moving it into a better angle to approach the green.  Why worst?  He measured it from the deep hole, not from where the ball ended up... giving him a driver length and an extra 1 foot of relief.  BS.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Beastie said:

2021 Farmers Insurance at Torrey Pines Patrick Reed is “pushing the envelope “ according to Rich Beem. It certainly looked like he was manufacturing a stance.

28 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The embedded ball routine was bogus.  His ball landed and made a deep hole, then bounced out a foot forward.  But Reed convinced the rules official that his ball was in that hole and he pulled it out before the ref got there.  TV says otherwise.  He picked up his ball, but not out of that deep hole.

24 minutes ago, Beastie said:

One golf hole, two dubious drops.. 

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Video?

Which hole? I’m not watching, but it should be on my dvr (unless preempted by the tornado warnings we’re getting today).

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

4 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Which hole? I’m not watching, but it should be on my dvr (unless preempted by the tornado warnings we’re getting today).

12 I think. 

Stevie T

I smell a disqualification coming.  And he was leading the tournament at the time.

4 minutes ago, m052310 said:

I think it was 10. As Faldo put it, "I've never seen a ball embed after a bounce." 

I'd like an "e".  You can put back that "i".

• Like 1

Are the rules officials able to administer penalty if they review it and determines he’s lied to them. If it’s an outright lie, can they DQ him?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

4 minutes ago, m052310 said:

I think it was 10. As Faldo put it, "I've never seen a ball imbed after a bounce." 

Yes it was 10. 

Patrick-Reed-Farmers-Insurance-Open-drop

The incident happened during the third round of the Farmers Insurance Open.

Stevie T

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I smell a disqualification coming.  And he was leading the tournament at the time.

I'd like an "e".  You can put back that "i".

I actually had to google it. Apparently the e-word is more common but they mean the same. I went with what the rules of golf use.

7 minutes ago, m052310 said:

I think it was 10. As Faldo put it, "I've never seen a ball embed after a bounce." 

Matt Kuchar tried that one last year from the fairway. He got told no by the rules official. 

Stevie T

1 minute ago, woodzie264 said:

Are the rules officials able to administer penalty if they review it and determines he’s lied to them. If it’s an outright lie, can they DQ him?

If I'm correct, we as TV viewers can no longer call the network and report a rules violation.  But Faldo is challenging what Reed wanted the ref to believe.

Shoot - my dvr only goes back an hour so I can’t rewind far enough to record and post.

My immediate thought was his actions were fishy as heck but I (with assistance) decided it was just some anti Reed bias at play lol.

Ive since realized my first instinct was legit.

Edited by Golfingdad

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

Shoot - my dvr only goes back an hour so I can’t rewind far enough to record and post.

My immediate thought was his actions were fishy as heck but I (with assistance) decided it was just some anti Reed bias at play lol.

To me it was all well and good... and a bit fishy.  But Reed was caught in his lie when, for the first time, they showed a camera angle replay of the ball jumping out of the hole and moving a foot forward... about 15 minutes later in the telecast.

it obviously bounced

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

44 minutes ago, iacas said:

Video?

• Thumbs Up 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4