IGNORED

Patrick Reed vs. the Rules of Golf

Yesterday on the 5th hole, Patrick Reed pulled/hooked his tee shot left into the water. The announcers speculated he did not cross land and would have to drop back near the tee boxes. Ultimately, he chose a drop point about 220 yards in front of the tees, hit a 3 wood into the green side bunker and got up and down for bogey.

About 15 minutes ago, cam smith hit the same shot. He took the drop that the announcers speculated Reed would be taking, leaving himself 349 yards to the hole. After pulling another one into the water, he needed a fantastic up and down for triple bogey.

I need to re watch the video but my recollection is that Reeds ball landed further left in the water than Smith’s. His ball would have needed to be hooking substantially to cross land where he dropped.

My gut tells me that Reed used the ambiguity of “best judgment” to his advantage. Smith could have done the same but chose to error on the side of not giving himself an unfair advantage. I will make all the caveats that I was not there, nor did I see the players respective trajectories

But when people say it’s unfair that Reed is not given the benefit of the doubt when others in the same position are, little things like these are why I think they are mistaken.

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just caught the entire clip of Reed walking up to the spotter and going through the entire process. Nothing looked out of the ordinary.  1. He didn't see it bounce from his shot. 2. He inquir

This is amazing. https://www.instagram.com/p/CK6fYccFPqL/  

Posted Images

Patrick Reed hits a draw so it’s quite possible  it hooked into the water220 yds up. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I recorded Saturday's action, but not Friday's. And I could not find any video replay of Reed's 5th hole Friday online. If anyone else has the recording, I would be interested to see if the video matches my recollection. 

That said, I realize it would not be conclusive evidence either way. Just another thread in a line of things that make you say "hmmm...."

If PR did anything remotely wrong it would be all over the internet instantly.

32 minutes ago, Big C said:

Unfortunately, I recorded Saturday's action, but not Friday's. And I could not find any video replay of Reed's 5th hole Friday online. If anyone else has the recording, I would be interested to see if the video matches my recollection. 

That said, I realize it would not be conclusive evidence either way. Just another thread in a line of things that make you say "hmmm...."

Even if you had the video, at best it would be like Tiger at the Players that one year.  People trying to make definitive conclusions about the balls path using a skewed camera angle that shows nothing as their “evidence.” Possibly exacerbated by a dumb announcer doing the same.

But I agree fully with your base assertion.