Sign in to follow this  
snowbeast

New to golf

Note: This thread is 983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 posts / 841 viewsLast Reply

Hi All,

I'm Snowbeast from South Africa.

I'm 30 years old and have just started to play golf. It all started at a Bachelors party two months ago where we went away for a weekend and played 9 holes. We then played pre wedding and I played again yesterday. I'm actually surprised I have not picked golf up sooner as I live next door to two golf courses.

I really enjoyed being out there with my mates for a couple hours laughing at each other and just having a good day out. I plan on buying my own clubs soon and I will also join the one golf club next door as a member soon.

Cheers,

SB

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Welcome to the site, and to TST. How is the winter down there where you live? Is it ever really too bad? Can you play year-round, @snowbeast?

Thanks very much.

The Winter is not bad at all. It gets cold at night and the mornings but by 9am the jersey is off and it' warm for the day. You definitely can play all year round. 

On 3/22/2018 at 3:13 AM, snowbeast said:

Hi All,

I'm Snowbeast from South Africa.

I'm 30 years old and have just started to play golf. It all started at a Bachelors party two months ago where we went away for a weekend and played 9 holes. We then played pre wedding and I played again yesterday. I'm actually surprised I have not picked golf up sooner as I live next door to two golf courses.

I really enjoyed being out there with my mates for a couple hours laughing at each other and just having a good day out. I plan on buying my own clubs soon and I will also join the one golf club next door as a member soon.

Cheers,

SB

Welcome to the site. I've been on here since I started playing golf and its been a tremendous help. Hope to see you around the threads. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • Is he an endurance athlete?  Athlete Heart Rate: What’s Safe and What’s Too High? The average resting heart rate is usually between 60 and 80 beats per minute, but some athletes have resting heart rates considerably lower... Here is a list of podcasts on HRV.  Podcast | Wild Health Podcast A Deep Dive Into HRV: The Myths & Truths of Heart Rate Variability Testing - Ben Greenfield Fitness - Diet, Fat Loss and Performance Advice Click here for the full written transcript of this podcast episode. Australian HRV researcher Dr. James Heathers (pictured above) is    
    • Based on your risk profile, we believe you’re in line behind 135.7 million people across the United States. When it comes to Michigan, we think you’re behind 4.4 million others who are at higher risk in your state. This is based upon me being a teacher.   Since I'm only a substitute, and not necessarily looking for work, the wait will be longer.  
    • The most likely scenario for me,  Basically, I am waiting on herd immunity at this point.  If I can claim that I am essential worker since I work for a power utility company...  
    • Day 339 - December 3, 2020 Practiced after a lesson for a good 30-40 balls. This takes me awhile as I don't just rapid fire them.
    • I've seen a few, more often when I'm caddying for someone. I'll list what I can from memory: On the first hole, a shorter par four with trees right (the safe play is left, but if you go right you can have a pitch shot for your approach), a competitor says "Boy, look at those trees on the right. Did they take some out in the past few years?" in an obvious attempt to get everyone thinking about the trees on the right. One girl would routinely wait and delay and never take the honor even if it was hers, and would say "go ahead if you're ready." This is borderline not "gamesmanship" and outright cheating, though. Someone said to another (I was in the group but it wasn't my player) "Man, you could be pretty good if you could only putt." The person was a perfectly good putter, but you could see it affected them. Standing a bit too close to someone is common. Just out of the really near field, and not exactly staying super still. The age old stuff - "do you breathe in or out…" stuff doesn't get used too often, but you'll still hear it occasionally. The really old stuff - conceding a bunch of early putts and not doing it late - often hurts the gamer more than the gamee. I've seen people suggest "you should hit a provisional" when they know darn well the ball is fine. It throws the person off sometimes. One guy told me he loved to do that on holes where you couldn't see the landing area very well.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. bm85
      bm85
      (35 years old)
    2. canadianpro
      canadianpro
      (75 years old)
    3. deryl50
      deryl50
      (53 years old)
    4. Facialman
      Facialman
      (73 years old)
    5. lowtidecharters
      lowtidecharters
      (41 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...