Sign in to follow this  
nevets88

What sunscreen do you use?

16 posts / 877 viewsLast Reply

This came up because of the article below. I still haven't finished it - it's on how sunscreens in the US don't have up to date ingredients compared to sunscreens made outside US, but skipping down to the recommended products, jeez, they are not cheap.

The last time a new sunscreen ingredient was introduced to the US market was in 2002. The Food and Drug Administration regulates sunscreens as over-the-counter drugs, making the process for ingredient approval cumbersome. Eight new OTC sunscreen ingredients have been pending in the FDA's queue for more than a decade, while countries in Europe and Asia have been enjoying the same ingredients for years and are constantly introducing innovative new options.

https://www.racked.com/2014/7/16/7586839/spf-sunscreen-fda-skin-cancer-sun-lotion-sunscreen-innovation-act

This is The Wirecutter's recommendations:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sunscreen/

I use this one basically because I'm ignorant and just pick whatever is a good deal:

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 11.22.42 AM.png

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Regarding the photo you posted, I’m fairly sure any SPF above 30 does not provide any additional help.  But it does feel ickier.  So to start with I would just buy an SPF 30.  Also, the aerosol kinds are supposed to be dangerous to inhale.  Make sure you spray in a ventilated area (outside) and hold you breath.

I don't use much sun screen. I have always went with long sleeve, white shirts, a good, wide brim hat, wrap around sun glasses, and gloves. If you saw me out and about, you would have thought I was a white supremist all bundled up in the desert heat. 

A couple of years ago, I had a few spots frozen on my ears, and nose to remove some sun damage. The doc that did it said sun screen would not have prevented those spots.

I wear two gloves when golfing to protect the backsides of my hands. Lived in the desert most of my life. 

Nothing against sun screen. I just never liked the feeling of left over residue. 

Back when I spent alot of time bass fishing on the desert lakes, I wore all white clothes. When I got hot, I would jump in the lake, with my clothes on. That usually kept me cool for a couple of hours. 

I use a 30 SPF spray, normally Kroger brand. You don't get much benefit above 30 SPF, and the price gets a lot higher with higher SPFs.

Sunscreen in Colorado is essential, so I keep it in my bag at all times.

I use SPF 50 or better lotion from any major manufacturer.  I have a darker Italian complexion and never thought I needed it until I got skin cancer. 

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Sunscreen in Colorado is essential, so I keep it in my bag at all times.

I found this to be true last month in Breckenridge.   It's easy to get too much sun at a higher elevation, especially with the reflection off of the snow.

Good article from Web MD:

What the best Sunscreen?

Edited by dennyjones

Couple things on sunscreen:

1.  Don't use the spray on kind like Coppertone 'Sport' after you've dressed for golf and apply it at the course just before teeing off.  You'll ruin those nice Adidas and Nike golf shirts.  I had a couple that were completely ruined by whatever chemicals are present in the product.

2.  Our local news (Cleveland) did a clinical study of all the top brands available over the counter at any retailer.  Some claimed to be spf 50 or 70 or whatever.  The brand that clearly delivered on what its label indicated was Wal-Mart Equate brand spf 30 and 50 lotions.  Both were spot-on with protection claims and substantiated by testing labs.  The report also concluded that lotions were more effective than spray on products.

I slather on the Wal-Mart Equate brand, spf #50 before playing.  I can burn right through spf 30 over an 18-hole round so the 50 actually does provide better protection.

5 minutes ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Solumbra, a company out of Seattle, sells excellent sun-protective clothing meant for being active outdoors in the sun.

I have a couple of their shirts.   Columbia also makes some great sunblock shirts

Walmart's brand got high reviews in a Consumer Reports review a few years ago and I used it for a number of years with good results.  More recently I've started using Banana Boat Dry Balance 50+.  I like that it does not tend to sting the eyes late in the day and it is the least greasy of those I've used. 

I don't use any, although I know I probably should. Thanks for the recommendations. My buddy does have to use sunscreen because he's had skin cancer. He's also of Irish heritage and needs to get some sun just to neutralize the blue! He has absolutely no melanin in his skin pigment whatsoever! When we were young and he'd be out in the sun for too long, he'd turn as red as a boiled lobster! When the red went away he'd go right back to that bluish/white shade. He never tanned.His major complaint about the sunscreen he uses is that his skin can't breathe! Playing golf on a hot day is a torment for him.

I'm allergic to aloe vera in lotions, so I am limited in what I can use.

I make sure as I use some, as medications I take make me more sensitive to the sun than the average person.

I use Neurtrogena UltraSheer DryTouch sunscreen. One application will last me for five hours, and I don't have much trouble with it sweating down onto my glove and grips. By dry touch, they mean it!