IGNORED

Thoughts on Tony Romo’s debut in MX ...

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Romo is +0.3, so as long as an amateur is “better than scratch”, they can compete via an exemption.   So far he’s even after 5 holes.  Better than alot of Tour pros so far, but time will tell if he can maintain that under intense pressure.    If I were him, my goal would not be to make the cut, it would be to not be dead last ... thoughts ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

He can play for sure. He was making a fair amount of birdies.

Three birdies on the front, none since.

Three bogeys on the front, two and a double on the back through 15. +4.

Scratch that, now, another bogey on 16 is +5.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

Three birdies on the front, none since.

Three bogeys on the front, two and a double on the back through 15. +4.

Scratch that, now, another bogey on 16 is +5.

Well 3 birdies on the front 9 was good. I didnt see how he lost strokes on the back but they said putting. He held his own. 

Trollin' is the life

I think this is a much better effort than Steph Curry’s. On the opening hole he drained a 25ish footer for par(?) and it was posted all over the PGA Tour twitter.

He looks like a good amateur golfer with a "vanity handicap" (or wherever that +0.3 came from) to me.

Next to the pros, it's hard to watch.

Reminds me of Michael Jordan's forays.

Edited by 3jacker

He seems like a vanity capper to me. Don't get me wrong, breaking 80 in a pro event is really, really good. But I think a scratch golfer would be doing better. Plus, he's has some pretty meh results when he's tried to play amateur events.

FWIW, the project cut line is -1 right now.

19 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

I think this is a much better effort than Steph Curry’s. On the opening hole he drained a 25ish footer for par(?) and it was posted all over the PGA Tour twitter.

Curry was +8 over two days. He was a 2 handicap at the time. Romo is +5 after one day, and he's supposedly a +0.3.

Golf is hard, even for elite athletes in other sports.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

50 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

He looks like a good amateur golfer with a "vanity handicap" (or wherever that +0.3 came from) to me.

Next to the pros, it's hard to watch.

Reminds me of Michael Jordan's forays.

He is quite a bit better than Jordan. Golf in the Caribbean is harder than the east bay where Curry played.

Trollin' is the life

He could be a scratch golfer, in fact he probably is. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between a scratch amateur and a Tour pro. 

The Course rating at Corales Golf Club is 76.9 and the slope is 140. So even as a scratch player he would be expected to shoot somewhere in the neighborhood of 77, which is exactly what he did. Throw in the pressure of being in a PGA Tour event, the media, etc, he did a decent job. I don't think people fully realize exactly how good these guys are on the PGA Tour and the absolute chasm that exists between their game and ours.

• Like 2

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Obviously him playing is good for golf.   Do I believe he's a competitive pro golfer?  Not yet.   But this type of cross over athlete is good for golf.  When the TV coverage started, the cameras were focused on Romo.   People tuned in just to see him and the ratings will show.   When Curry played, the same thing occurred.   The more positive TV coverage the better.   I'm sure that many people tuned in just to see the celebrity.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

11 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

He could be a scratch golfer, in fact he probably is. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between a scratch amateur and a Tour pro. 

The Course rating at Corales Golf Club is 76.9 and the slope is 140. So even as a scratch player he would be expected to shoot somewhere in the neighborhood of 77, which is exactly what he did. Throw in the pressure of being in a PGA Tour event, the media, etc, he did a decent job. I don't think people fully realize exactly how good these guys are on the PGA Tour and the absolute chasm that exists between their game and ours.

Hole 18 there(which is a great hole) has a forced carry of 275 at min. In the wind that can be tough for touring pros. Watching this am there is no wind and they are taking the 295 carry line and having a short iron in on the 500 yard par 4. Great hole with several line options off the tee.

Trollin' is the life

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

This.

77 is a pretty good score, IMO.

Scratch doesn't mean even par.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hunter Mahan, Tommy Gainey

seeing a lot of names we don't normally - a nice side effect of WGC events going on in parallel...Tiger should have gone to Mexico

Bill - 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, rehmwa said:

Hunter Mahan, Tommy Gainey

seeing a lot of names we don't normally - a nice side effect of WGC events going on in parallel...Tiger should have gone to Mexico

Three weeks in a row, with one week off before the Masters, and a tournament where par likely doesn't mean as much as events in which Tiger likes to play?

Three reasons that wasn't going to happen.

77 in a PGA Tour event is crap.

Hacks playing on Tour drive me away. I can't stand to watch the AT&T because I don't want to watch a bunch of hacks with vanity handicaps (whether it's a 5 or a +0.2) duff it around. I can't watch it.

But I understand a lot of folks love it, and for every guy like me that won't tune in, there's probably thousands who do.  If it's good for golf, I'm for it.  I'll just go do something productive until the guys who are really good are on.

Note: This thread is 2193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!