IGNORED

Anyone switch to Spikeless golf shoes?

Note: This thread is 2156 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I keep wanting to try spikeless but because of the very unpredictable "spring & Summer" weather we have here i've never actually taken the plunge.

I've stuck to my Callaway's for a while but being black they dont go with shorts in the summer on the odd occasion we have sunshine. May have to look at a cheapish pair of spikeless to try the style out.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have both types, soft-spike and spikeless shoes.  The spikeless shoes work great for me when I'm playing on sand-based bermuda grass courses.  They are lightweight and very comfortable.  I have 2 pairs of the True Links shoes.  Love them.

However, I like up in NE Ohio where all our courses are dirt-based, soft and for the most part we play on bent grass fairways and greens.  All of the courses are damp during morning hours meaning the TrueLinks spikeless shoes don't work.  Also, it rains a LOT in NE Ohio making courses mushy at best to downright wet with casual water an on occasion a total quagmire.  Spiked shoes are the ONLY choice most of the time.

That said, I've purchased a few pairs of the Adidas spiked shoes with the BOA lacing.  Great fit, still fairly lightweight and adjustable until the shoe fit is perfect.  My feet don't bake in them on hot days anymore than wearing the spikeless True Links shoes.

Conditions dictate what kind of shoe will keep your feet on the ground and steady.

• Thumbs Up 1

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I made the switch to spikeless and never went back.  Even in rainy/wet conditions, I've never had a problem with traction.

You can get older models of a few different brands for under $100:

https://www.zappos.com/p/puma-golf-ignite-spikeless-sport-smoked-pearl-puma-silver-green-gecko/product/8733127/color/684609?ef_id=WV1xHQAAAHy_OgfG:20180330232048:s

(just an example; I've never worn those particular shoes)

- John

25 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I made the switch to spikeless and never went back.  Even in rainy/wet conditions, I've never had a problem with traction.

You can get older models of a few different brands for under $100:

https://www.zappos.com/p/puma-golf-ignite-spikeless-sport-smoked-pearl-puma-silver-green-gecko/product/8733127/color/684609?ef_id=WV1xHQAAAHy_OgfG:20180330232048:s

(just an example; I've never worn those particular shoes)

The Skechers Go Golf shoes from 2017 can be had for about $60 right about now.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Thanks, folks.  I ended up with a FJ spikeless shoe (about $79 before tax/shipping etc.).  Wanted to stay under a $100 only to minimize regret.  Will try the other suggestions (Sketchers Go Drive and True linkswear) later.  Much appreciated all the suggestions.

FJ - Spikeless 2-darkbrown-t.jpg

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

Hello all, my first posting but had to jump in.  I'm 65 yrs old and since my retirement I golf an average 3-5 times a week. I went from soft spikes to spikeless shoes about 7 years ago and I will NEVER go back to soft spike. Go spikeless, you'll be glad you did. Simply go online to Amazon or the like and you have your pick of dozens of shoes under $100. I've had great results with FJ, Sketchers and Puma

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a couple pair of golf shoes but I'm afraid to try the spike-less shoes.   I like to play early and often the dew is still on the course.   I don't want to buy a pair of shoes that I can only wear when it dry.  I realize most are water resistant but the lack of secure footing would be an issue for me.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

DennyJones, I hear what you said and at one time in my life I believed the same way. However, all I can report on is what I've experienced. I have never hit a bad shot "due to my shoe" slipping. I too play 80% of my golf at the crack of dawn. Ground is covered in morning dew. Being in Texas I'm blessed in that I play golf year round but winters on the coast of Texas are always cold and wet but still playable. I'm telling you, I just don't slip. It's never a problem for me. I'll admit I'm not a monster hitter. I hit my 5 hybrid 155. My swing speed mid to upper 80's. The coast of Texas isn't exactly rolling terrain so maybe, certain landscapes and certain grasses might create some slipping issues in other parts of the country for some people. That being said, I've golfed in Texas, Las Vegas, Florida, Colorado, South Carolina, Louisiana, Kentucky and California and can not ever remember saying my spikeless shoes let me down. Try'em and you'll never look back. PS. . . Your greens will appreciate it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I have a couple pair of golf shoes but I'm afraid to try the spike-less shoes.   I like to play early and often the dew is still on the course.   I don't want to buy a pair of shoes that I can only wear when it dry.  I realize most are water resistant but the lack of secure footing would be an issue for me.  

I am in SE Michigan like you are and play in spikeless Adidas. They are super comfortable and secure. If you are looking at mist or dew they are fine. I would suggest the type with smaller spikes (think footjoy) vs the larger nubby ones. Also keeping them clean will make a big difference.

If it is raining or sloppy I tend to wear my spikes.

I have been using spikeless for a few years now. I actually find I have more grip with them. In wet conditions especially, I find leaves and grass shavings will collect in my soft spikes and if I'm not paying attention it builds up enough that my rear foot will slip. But this problem does not happen for me with spikeless shoes.  

• 2 weeks later...

MGN,  I switched over to spikeless at the beginning of last season last April here in Wisconsin.  I picked up a pair of Skechers for less than $75.00 at Golf Smith.  These are the first Skechers I have ever purchased so I was worried about the brand despite Mr Kuchar's endorsement.    They are a great style being bright blue and grey.  Sure beat the white saddle shoe look that is so common.  I was worried that I would have issues with slipping on wet grass or steep inclines.  I have found that these worries were much ado about nothing.  They have great traction. I was also worried that they would not hold up as I walk almost every round I play.  They are still comfortable and I have no plans to replace them going into this season.  A clear advantage is being able to drive home in them.  I did that a couple of times without even realizing it.  While I never wore them to the course, you could.  Great shoe!  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

On 4/13/2018 at 1:27 PM, WildTurkey said:

MGN,  I switched over to spikeless at the beginning of last season last April here in Wisconsin.  I picked up a pair of Skechers for less than $75.00 at Golf Smith.  These are the first Skechers I have ever purchased so I was worried about the brand despite Mr Kuchar's endorsement.    They are a great style being bright blue and grey.  Sure beat the white saddle shoe look that is so common.  I was worried that I would have issues with slipping on wet grass or steep inclines.  I have found that these worries were much ado about nothing.  They have great traction. I was also worried that they would not hold up as I walk almost every round I play.  They are still comfortable and I have no plans to replace them going into this season.  A clear advantage is being able to drive home in them.  I did that a couple of times without even realizing it.  While I never wore them to the course, you could.  Great shoe!  

Thanks for sharing your experience.  And yes, driving home in golf shoes is an added advantage.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

I have three pair of spikeless shoes (fj, Sketcher, and Calaway). The fj are the most comfortable. Sketchers are waterproof but after a few rounds they are less comfortable and smell. The Calaway are great but some of the seams are starting to bust after maybe 15-20 uses.

If it is wet or get a side hill lie on dormant grass you are begging to bust you ass. I've done it twice before learning my lesson.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of Eccos I got on discount.  They are great and no issues playing in the morning in South Florida.  I do notice they collect more debris in the morning when it is wet as opposed to playing in the afternoon, but I haven't had any issues with traction.  I tend to brush them off after playing and rinse the debris off the soles when I get home so I can wear them out of the house for the next round.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have the Skechers Go Golf v3 Lux and Regular - very comfortable shoes, hold wet ground well - no slippage during a wet weather.

Have Ecco Biom Hybrid 2 GTX - comfortable and wear well

Skechers seem to hold you better if you want great stability - look at the spikeless sole in the middle it seems to really hold you.

Of course, Ecco has changed its sole pattern in the Biom 3 Hybrid - size 45 is on backorder for several months.

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Switched, No issues! Did not notice any less grip or traction on slopes, hills or wet turf!

Adidas 360 Traxion Bounce Spikeless Shoes about $80
https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-shoes/1036767-adidas-360-traxion-bounce-spikeless/

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 2156 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!