Jump to content
MGN

Anyone switch to Spikeless golf shoes?

36 posts / 5079 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I have worn soft-spikes for years but keep envying the spikeless shoes some of my playing partners wear.  Can anyone that has tried spikeless golf shoes after much apprehension share their thoughts?  Also, what brand would one recommend for $100 and under?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I have a pair I use upon occasion. They were my grandson's but he outgrew them. I like them but the ones I have don't grip as well on some surfaces as do shoes with attachable spikes. specifically dead Bermuda grass can be a little slippery on slopes and early tee times when the grass can have a little moisture on it. But I like them and they are comfortable. But the big advantage is you don't have to change shoes to drive home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to wear them from home to the course and back but not good for early morning play of sidehill lies. VERY slippery. Ecco are great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Skechers Go Golf Drive 2.0. I paid $60 for them... I haven't been out yet (Goddamn winter holding on). But Skechers I swear are the most comfortable sneakers, I have ever worn in my life. I have a pair of their sneakers, and a pair of their slip-resistant shoes(I'm a cook so I have to have them.) My feet don't hurt after a 10-12 hour shift. I can walk five or six miles in my sneakers, my feet don't hurt. I would highly recommend checking out the Skechers Go Golf Drive 2.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I have Skechers Go Golf Drive 2.0. I paid $60 for them... I haven't been out yet (Goddamn winter holding on). But Skechers I swear are the most comfortable sneakers, I have ever worn in my life. I have a pair of their sneakers, and a pair of their slip-resistant shoes(I'm a cook so I have to have them.) My feet don't hurt after a 10-12 hour shift. I can walk five or six miles in my sneakers, my feet don't hurt. I would highly recommend checking out the Skechers Go Golf Drive 2.0.

I totally agree with you about Skechers being the most comfortable shoes ever.   I bought a pair of those Skechers wide fit sneakers and I am in love with them.   Incredibly comfortable.   I'll check out their golf shoes, because I'm just lazy enough that being able to wear my golf shoes from home and back is appealing to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been using spikeless TRUEs and Eccos and I'm not going back. With the exception of really wet days, grip has not been a problem at all. For those occasions I got a pair with spikes.

Edited by Zeph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

I've been using spikeless TRUEs and Eccos and I'm not going back. With the exception of really wet days, grip has not been a problem at all. For those occasions I got a pair with spikes.

I also have several pair of spikeless shoes, as well as soft spike ones.  Unless it’s really wet, I don’t have any issues with traction.  I’ll second ECCO and True, except neither are under $100.  A buddy of mine loves the Skechers Go Golf as his most comfortable shoes.

Edited by jsgolfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I also have several pair of spikeless shoes, as well as soft spike ones.  Unless it’s really wet, I don’t have any issues with traction.  I’ll second ECCO and True, except neither are under $100.  A buddy of mine loves the Skechers Go Golf as his most comfortable shoes.

Yeah. You might find older models or on sale for under $100. I haven't tried Skechers' golf shoes, but I've had a couple pair of Skecher sneakers that were really good and lasted forever. Don't think I was able to wear them out actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I strongly prefer spikeless to spiked shoes... much more comfortable, no hotspots from the spike ports, and you can wear them to the course or home or whatever. They also make great yardwork shoes when they get too worn for golf. 

Not all spikeless shoes are created equally when it comes to conditions, however. More and sharper "spikelets" create better grippage for dewy or wet conditions, particularly when they are fairly new. Flatter bottoms are more comfortable for to/from-course wear and dry conditions.

While I have a pair of spiked shoes that I keep for really sloppy conditions, frankly it's more about their waterproof qualities than grip. The only time I ever have any difficulty with footing is when it's extremely soft and muddy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My spikeless Footjoys are terrific - but really only in dry weather. And when the studdy things on the sole are worn down, they make excellent casual shoes for everyday use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, MGN said:

I have worn soft-spikes for years but keep envying the spikeless shoes some of my playing partners wear.  Can anyone that has tried spikeless golf shoes after much apprehension share their thoughts?  Also, what brand would one recommend for $100 and under?

Thanks.

I wear only Truelinks shoes. Sadly you’ll have to hopefully catch them on sale to get them under $100. 

I like spineless shoes for their comfort. I never had traction issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes to Truelinks AND to Skechers Go Golf. Both are comfortable. But Truelinks are better. IMHO, -Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

I totally agree with you about Skechers being the most comfortable shoes ever.   I bought a pair of those Skechers wide fit sneakers and I am in love with them.   Incredibly comfortable.   I'll check out their golf shoes, because I'm just lazy enough that being able to wear my golf shoes from home and back is appealing to me. 

Good tip. I usually skip the shoes because I'm not a fan of changing shoes at the course. 

 

3 hours ago, georgep said:

I strongly prefer spikeless to spiked shoes... much more comfortable, no hotspots from the spike ports, and you can wear them to the course or home or whatever. They also make great yardwork shoes when they get too worn for golf. 

Not all spikeless shoes are created equally when it comes to conditions, however. More and sharper "spikelets" create better grippage for dewy or wet conditions, particularly when they are fairly new. Flatter bottoms are more comfortable for to/from-course wear and dry conditions.

While I have a pair of spiked shoes that I keep for really sloppy conditions, frankly it's more about their waterproof qualities than grip. The only time I ever have any difficulty with footing is when it's extremely soft and muddy. 

Same here. The only time I bother with shoes is when I'm worried about rain and puddles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both. I have an older pair of Truelinks ("Plus" model) and Adidas Traxion 360. The True's were comfortable for a season, but as the rubber nubs wore down, the cushioning disappeared and I can now feel every rock or pebble I step on. (They also sort of look like clown shoes.) The Adidas are pretty good and the 2nd most comfortable pair of spiked shoes I've worn. The absolutely most comfortable spiked golf shoes I've ever had are from Bite, a company that's sadly no longer in business. I still wear them occasionally, but they're falling apart from the inside out.

As a sucker for a good advertising campaign, I may try the Skechers at some point. After all, Kuchar wouldn't lie, would he? 

Edited by xrayvizhen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my Ecco shoes. I have a pair of Biom and a pair of Biom Hybrids. I don’t even consider other brands. Most comfortable golf shoes I’ve owned. I actually got the Hybrids for $80 from Amazon by signing up for their credit card which I didn’t even have tp use for the purchase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear spikeless unless it's raining or very wet. Morning dew is no problem for spikeless, but if it's been raining recently I'll wear spikes. My spikeless shoe of choice is the Footjoy Versaluxe, which is sadly discontinued. Luckily that meant that I could get a pair in every color for less than half original price (good thing because they weren't cheap). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went spikeless last year for the first time (although I've worn regular sneakers before as well). 

Didn't notice too much of a difference grip wise, and I was coming from metal spikes (for one season-- Allen Edmonds, beautiful shoes, but absolutely painful to wear even after breaking in). Really enjoyed putting them on at the house and then wearing them around after the round was over. I actually liked the style of shoe I bought so much that I considered buying a second pair to wear as regular sneakers. 

There's so much selection out there these days for spikeless. My personal opinion is that if you're going for under $100, it's a bit of a give-and-take between comfort and style. From reading lots of reviews, Skechers seem to make the most comfortable shoe for under $100, but I personally find them pretty hideous. I prefer the more athletic looking shoes made by Nike, Adidas, Puma, etc. 

I'd love a classic saddle/wingtip shoe in spikeless format, but the ones that are out there just look a little bit off (I think ECCO makes one but it's not great looking imo). I'd really love if they made FJ Icons in a spikeless shoe. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm usually a Sketchers guy as they are usually the only brand that doesn't eat my left heel alive.  However, I just got a pair of Foot Joy Athletics from Dick's and they are great if you have problems with rubbing on the back of your heels.  The heel of the shoe is very flexible which, for me, equates to a lot less friction throughout my round.  Anything to avoid having a quarter sized sore on the back of my heel.

FootJoy Athletics

1037705-0-1-7-0-6-0-0-0-29.jpg

Edited by baller7345
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...