IGNORED

"Putting is a huge part of the game."

MrGolfguy67
Note: This thread is 2212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Why am i not surprised that my honest response was immediately shouted down as wrong. No ifs ands or buts about it, i'm just totally wrong.

Because you are.

At the risk of you massively misreading me again, why shouldn’t we shout down “2+2=7”?

Your last response was about the wager. Your odds are not even close to the same.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Why am i not surprised that my honest response was immediately shouted down as wrong. No ifs ands or buts about it, i'm just totally wrong.

Actual numbers from my last 2 rounds played on 1 of the 2 courses in my town, par 72 - 6700 yds

Round 1 - 7 GIR, 34 putts, shot 85

Round 2 - 5 GIR, 30 putts, shot 81

Well you putted better in round two. But how far was your first putts in Round 2? I bet you were closer.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

21 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Actual numbers from my last 2 rounds played on 1 of the 2 courses in my town, par 72 - 6700 yds

Round 1 - 7 GIR, 34 putts, shot 85

Round 2 - 5 GIR, 30 putts, shot 81

2 rounds is not a large enough sample size to prove a point, but if you want to go that route...

My personal best GIR round - 15 GIR, 36 putts, shot +3 - 74 (Par 71) with two 3 putts (1 birdie)

My personal best putting round -  7 GIR, 28 putts, shot + 6 - 78 (Par 72) with zero 3 putts (2 birdies)

3 shots better in relation to par even though it took me 8 more putts. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

33 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Well you putted better in round two.

I had less GIR in round 2 so I should have shot higher according to y'all that think putting is least important. Less GIR but I shot lower because of putting.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

2 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I had less GIR in round 2 so I should have shot higher according to y'all that think putting is least important. Less GIR but I shot lower because of putting.

Technically yes. 

But with not hitting those GIR you had shorter first putts. So our point still holds true. It's easier to be closer to the hole from a shorter distance off the green.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

(edited)
9 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I don't think you are going to change your mind at this moment. But I would encourage you to set aside your large 2-round sample size, and read back through the thread later. 

I can tell you the guys here, while they may come across harsh at times, they genuinely care about golf and passing on its truths to the forum folks here. I'd encoursge you to be open to re-reading all of this next week sometime

Edited by woodzie264
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I figure either one I'd have the same chance at winning. My guess would be 1 of 5 (20%).

Are you serious or are you merely trolling?

If you are serious then you clearly have absolutely zero understanding of the game.

In the 9 iron challenge v pro I'd say I'd win 0% of the time. 

In the putting I reckon I'd go OK half the time.

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The only thing that matters is accuracy! If your not accurate with your shots you won't score. If your shots are wide right or left you tend to have a lot of scrambling to do. If you are always three putting you won't score well. It's accuracy not ball striking vs putting. ;-)

11 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

But with not hitting those GIR you had shorter first putts. 

You say that like you actually know, but you don't - you're guessing. Basically making something up that fits your agenda.

10 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Are you serious or are you merely trolling?

If you are serious then you clearly have absolutely zero understanding of the game

I'm serious. Your opinion on what my level of understanding is but i can assure you its likely higher than yours.

Don't you shank no more 

19 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I'm serious. Your opinion on what my level of understanding is but i can assure you its likely higher than yours.

You believe that from 180 yards out you are as accurate as a touring professional a 5th of the time. Yet you "assure" me that it is I that am deluded.

Here's another hypothetical:

You are at a pro tournament and you are practice putting for 15 minutes alongside 1 dozen or so pros. How many casual observers standing 20 feet away from the green notice that your putting is in no way pro standard. Before that, you were on the practice tee and hit 20 shots at a180 yard target. What percentage of the 200 observers notice that you are not as good as the guys around you?

I'm saying perhaps 3% on the green and 100% at the practice fairway.

Edited by Shorty
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Shorty said:

You believe that from 180 yards out you are as accurate as a touring professional. Yet you "assure" me that it is I that am deluded.

I absolutely did not say that, your reading comprehension is terrible. I said my guess would be 1 out of 5 (20%). How you equate that to me saying i'm as accurate as a touring pro is beyond my understanding.

Don't you shank no more 

6 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I absolutely did not say that, your reading comprehension is terrible. I said my guess would be 1 out of 5 (20%). How you equate that to me saying i'm as accurate as a touring pro is beyond my understanding.

Yes - corrected :-)

But you reckon over 9 holes from 180 yards you'd win one in 5, when it would almost certainly be 1 in 100 or less.

Edited by Shorty

• Administrator

Two putting from 60 feet is better putting than making a five footer. Counting putts and things like GIR without proximity, etc. is almost pointless.

You think two rounds are enough to draw a sample but it’s nowhere near enough data.

52 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Buddy, I can confidently say I know a ton more than you about this. But you’re close minded and I’m done. You’ve shown NO capacity or willingness to learn.

You’re ignorant and worse yet are confident and comfortable being so.

P.S. The 180 yard challenge was nine holes (shots). You win that basically never.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Actually, no, not necessarily. Besides the obvious problem that two rounds is not statistically significant, less GIR for anyone with a decent short game typically leads to less putts because the first putt on a green is typically closer to the hole. A decent putting day to convert a few of those up and downs can offset the advantage of more GIR if your first putt is typically 40' away.

Most people get the ball closer to the hole on average from shorter distances, excluding hazards and odd lies. So your good putting round might not actually be based solely on your putting at all.

That's the problem with using putting stats based on number instead of proximity. It gives equal weight to all putts, even though it's clear to anyone who plays golf that a 1-putt from 30' is significantly harder than a 1-putt from 3'.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

Buddy, I can confidently say I know a ton more than you about this.

I was not responding to you, I was responding to Shorty.

Don't you shank no more 

15 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I was not responding to you, I was responding to Shorty.

Does it matter? You think you win 9 holes from 180 yards out 1 in 5 times. That is the most telling thing about your delusion. And saying things like "believe me" or "i can tell you" or  "i can confidently say" or "more than you know" do not add weight to an argument, they merely underline your intransigence and stubbornness.

(edited)

Actually to win i would just need to be closer on 5 holes out of 9. So if the pro shut me out 9 holes to zero the other 4 times I would end up being closer on 5 of the 45 holes (11%). If the pro won the other 4 times 8 holes to 1 the final total would be 9 holes won by me (20%), 36 for the pro (80%).

Edited by MrGolfguy67

Don't you shank no more 

(edited)
10 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Actually to win i would just need to be closer on 5 holes out of 9. So if the pro shut me out 9 holes to zero the other 4 times I would end up being closer on 5 of the 45 holes (11%). If the pro won the other 4 times 8 holes to 1 the final total would be 9 holes won by me (20%), 36 for the pro (80%).

I get how you guys are trying to establish which skill most distiguishes us from Tour Pros by comparing your hypothetical performance against them, but I think your side argument with Shorty is distracting from the thread's topic....IMO 

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 2212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!