Sign in to follow this  
Radman

Golfer Elbow

34 posts / 3709 viewsLast Reply

I have locked my lead elbow forever and since I've been playing more I have a very sore lead elbow.  My right elbow does point toward the ground and I rotate my shoulders when I swing.  a: any suggestions for how to deal with elbow.  I'm taking ibuprofen and icing it regularly and using Tiger Balm patches.  b: do I really need to lock my elbow.  My swing is in pretty good shape currently, aside from the elbow.

I would see a physician.  My experience with sore elbows, wrists, etc... is rest helps but you really should consult a health professional.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, Radman said:

b: do I really need to lock my elbow.

No. You can have a technically sound golf swing without locking your elbow.

golfdigest_the-grind-spieth-s-weird-swing-works-better.jpg

Definitely see a doctor. Golfers can get both tennis elbow and golf elbow - both painful but with different strain points.

Really don’t need to see a doctor unless you have obvious swelling of the elbow, redness and/or fever, can’t bend your arm, or you’re experiencing numbness/tingling radiating down or up your arm. 

Gemtle forearm strengthening by squeezing a tennis ball, NSAIDS as needed and even some cryotherapy alternating with heat can help as well. 

Resting the elbow is of course beneficial but who wants to do that? Lol. Also, make sure your form is proper so that you’re not causing this problem by a technical error. Cheers.

I've had golfers elbow for the past 4-5 months.  Ice regularly, use ultrasound machine, exercises and it is finally getting better.  I wear a stretch arm band that goes up next to the elbow when playing.  You can buy them at any drug store.  When it was at the worst I couldn't touch the inside of my elbow bone.   

Two weeks ago I went to the doctor to get a steroid shot and he didn't want to give me one.  Said this area is very tender and with not much padding sometimes the steroid shot will not dissolve and will leave a permanent knot on your elbow. 

I would try a brace.  There are  wraps/ bands made for tennis and golf elbow.  Soft pad goes over tendon and you tighten band to keep if from sliding over bone while you swing.  If pain continues consider injections and PT/ OT

Do you play steel shafts? I had a very bad problem with my lead elbow also. My doctor is a golfer and he recommended trying a shaft like the Recoils I now have, or Aerotech micro fiber (not sure, but I think that's the name.) You can get them up to about 120ish grams, and they play like steel. I haven't had a problem since I made the switch. 

I've had golfers elbow and its not good. The only way to get rid of it is to stop golf until it has healed. It took me three months to recover. See your doctor to confirm it is what you think it is but rest is the best thing.

probably not what you want to hear but it really is the only way to get rid of it. Hope you recover quick

Thanks for the many responses re: golfers/tennis elbow.  One thing I have noticed since my elbow became sore, although I'm a righty, I use my left hand for so many daily things. Like, I always lift things from the fridge with my left, sometimes painfully.  I got a copperfit sleeve. I'm using ibuprofen and ice.  I'm going to experiment with a Spieth type relaxed elbow swing.

Thanks again to all.

I switched to Recoil graphite for a couple of years and it worked wonderfully. I just switched back to steal and so far, so good. I will not hesitate to go back to graphite if needed though.

I've dealt with tennis elbow (pain on the outside of the elbow) for the past year or so...but it is in the right elbow.  I've had to rest it a bit and go through some does of meloxicam/ibuprofen to calm it down.  I also wear one of the straps that relieves stress on the tendon when I hit balls.  That has helped but it hasn't gone away completely.

I need to stretch and ice it a bit more than I do...i haven't been diligent on doing some of the PT work.

1.  See a doctor for an exam and permission to try remedies above and here.  I am a golfer, not a doctor, but I have experience with wrist and elbow pain.

2.  Take at least a two-week break from golf. Follow RICE...Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.  

3.  I use the Flexbar Excerciser by Thera-Band. Highly recommended by studies and doctors. See videos online. Some wrist and elbow injuries require strengthening the larger muscles supporting the weak and injured tendons and muscles. After one month of doing a Flexbar routine daily, I am much improved. I'd say 85% stronger.  

Good luck!

On 4/10/2018 at 2:05 PM, NCGolfer said:

I've dealt with tennis elbow (pain on the outside of the elbow) for the past year or so...but it is in the right elbow.  I've had to rest it a bit and go through some does of meloxicam/ibuprofen to calm it down.  I also wear one of the straps that relieves stress on the tendon when I hit balls.  That has helped but it hasn't gone away completely.

I need to stretch and ice it a bit more than I do...i haven't been diligent on doing some of the PT work.

Sounds exactly like me. Totally sapped my strength last season. Some rest and targeted exercise over the winter has improved it a lot but it is still there and I hope that increased play does not bring it back. I pop an Aleve a couple hours before I play and that helps. I stopped using the strap in my last practice session and it was fine. Fingers crossed.

I've battled elbow tendonitis throughout my baseball and golf career, as has my father. I can give you the advise my orthopedic and my physical therapist gave me. 

•  The brace works pretty well during play to help support and ease the pain. Here's one on amazon
  •  NSAIDS are also good to help calm an inflamed tendon.
  • Ice is the best thing you can do after the round and when you have the time. Bags work okay but the best thing is an ice message using frozen dixie cups. (VIDEO BELOW). 
  • Heat is good BEFORE you play. Thirty minutes to an hour before your round wrap your elbow in a hot wet towel (moist heat works the best) for about 20-30 minutes. Then try to go through some forearm stretches. I will get the tendon ready to go without it getting so inflamed.
  • Lastly DO NOT alternate heat and ice. Ice after the round Heat ONLY before the round.
  • As some have said rest is the best thing, but I never wanted to take the time off and I never had to following the instructions above.

I have been dealing with my first ever issue of tennis elbow this summer.  It has really set me back in golf.  It is really hard to finish the golf swing when you know its going to hurt.  I really feel for the touring pros and the fact that they hit gobs of golf balls everyday.  I don't really know how they do it.  

Anyhow, I do a lot of pushups and pullups for exercise but I also play a lot of golf.  This year I got tennis elbow in my left arm really bad and a slight version of golfers elbow in the right arm.  ugh...it is a horrible injury to deal with if you are a golfer.  My doc said its a combination of too many pullups/pushups, golfing, and simply age.  

I have been fighting it for the better part of 10 weeks now.  I just started exploring various remedies.  I couldn't believe it, but the elbow straps provide almost instant relief.   Not the compression sleeves, but the actual straps.  I am not sure that it is a cure, but I think it takes pressure off the damaged tendon/muscle and allows it to heal.  Since I started wearing the straps the pain has subsided quite a bit.  You can also play golf while wearing it.  

Anyone dealing with this horrible infliction, I highly recommend getting some straps.  https://amzn.to/2MbZSyn

I’ve been using one and it does help some.  Had to have a shot in elbow a month ago and it has helped the most.  Still have some pain but hopefully getting better.  It has bothered me for 8 months.  About 2 months ago one of my tendons from shoulder to bicep snapped. Now have popeye muscle. 

On 8/12/2018 at 7:51 AM, Nutsmacker said:

I have been fighting it for the better part of 10 weeks now.  I just started exploring various remedies.  I couldn't believe it, but the elbow straps provide almost instant relief.   Not the compression sleeves, but the actual straps.  I am not sure that it is a cure, but I think it takes pressure off the damaged tendon/muscle and allows it to heal.  Since I started wearing the straps the pain has subsided quite a bit.  You can also play golf while wearing it.  

Anyone dealing with this horrible infliction, I highly recommend getting some straps.  https://amzn.to/2MbZSyn

I had tennis elbow flare up last year pretty bad.  I got it manageable by taking some NASIDs but also bought one of those straps.  I only use it when I hit balls...not when I play.  After a year, I don't even have the issue any more but I'm still using the strap when I hit balls (I hit a LOT of them) to make sure it doesn't flare up again.