IGNORED

Easiest Way to Read a Putt?

cosbornballboy
Note: This thread is 2207 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know anything about Aim Point. However I did read something about the USGA, and the RA warning golfers to be careful using it, and how they could easily break rule 16.1. Something about touching the line of the putt. Perhaps someone can explain it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never looked at the DVDs, instead took a clinic with @iacas last Spring.  As with anything "in-person", we got lots of feedback and personal attention, all questions got answered.  I'm certain that won't happen with a DVD.  

And for anyone who asks, its definitely improved my green-reading.  I've been playing this course for 20 years, thought I knew the greens pretty well, but using Aimpoint I've found my reads are often different from what I would have thought previously.  The Aimpoint read is always the right one.  I can't say I've won enough bets due to improved putting to pay off my Aimpoint tuition, but its definitely helped me.

2 minutes ago, Patch said:

I don't know anything about Aim Point. However I did read something about the USGA, and the RA warning golfers to be careful using it, and how they could easily break rule 16.1. Something about touching the line of the putt. Perhaps someone can explain it. 

Depending on how long the putt is, you may be getting a slope indication at  one or more points between your ball and the hole.  You have to be careful not to touch the intended line of your putt when you do that, thats what Rule 16-1 is about.  In 2019, that concern will cease, you'll be allowed to touch the line of the putt.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Patch said:

Not much of a concern, as the golfer determines the line of the putt, and you can get to within about 6" or so, and as @DaveP043 said, won't matter in 2019.

14 minutes ago, klineka said:

Any thoughts on the difference between an in person clinic and the DVD? Obviously more of a chance to ask questions and have hands on with a clinic.

I'll put it this way… I've had a lot of DVD purchasers come take a clinic and find it useful and cost effective. One uses his DVD as a refresher.

It's tough(er) to learn from a DVD.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hmmm I have heard and read about Aimpoint but never actually gave it a shot. May have to find a clinic close by sometime later this year. 

I took an Aimpoint Clinic back in 2015 and later bought the DVD.   It was some of the best $$ I've spent on golf.   I would have had a hard time just starting with the DVD. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I've always been pretty good at reading the line of a putt, but distance is another matter. The one situation that gives me fits are greens on very hilly courses where the green is built into a pretty good slope. Your eyes can really fool you then. Then, when addressing the ball, I noticed my weight rocking into my heels or the balls of my feet. Hmmmm.

I realize there's more to Aimpoint than this, but it's a start.

Some of the Aimpoint teachers, at the least the one that is offering clinics in Michigan is combining the Express with Speed.  I'm debating retaking the class since Speed wasn't included when I took my Express class.  

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Not "tends to". Does.

I was being facetious.

I like to think that the ball always breaks towards the hole.

Quick question on Aimpoint that's probably been answered before. Since you are using the feet to help read the putt, does the shoes you wear affect your ability to read? Will it be easier barefoot or with spikeless shoes than more rigid shoes with spikes?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

8 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Quick question on Aimpoint that's probably been answered before. Since you are using the feet to help read the putt, does the shoes you wear affect your ability to read? Will it be easier barefoot or with spikeless shoes than more rigid shoes with spikes?

I've worn different styles of shoes, with and without spikes, including True shoes with "zero heel drop" and I haven't noticed any difference.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

22 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've worn different styles of shoes, with and without spikes, including True shoes with "zero heel drop" and I haven't noticed any difference.

Me as well. No difference.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

On the Aimpoint Facebook page there are a few people that claim to notice a difference but I haven't noticed any difference between the two pair of shoes that I have. 

I would say that a spikeless shoe is probably more consistent. Still, a person can only be so accurate reading greens with their feet, but it still surprisingly accurate.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, cosbornballboy said:

I presume it's against the rules to take a leveler tool on course :-P

Not during a practice round.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Zeph said:

I've had it happen. I bought a new pair of shoes and lost my calibration. That said, I am/was not the most diligent about practicing aimpoint or really anything to do with putting. I'd imagine if you spend some time calibrating and practicing, it wouldn't be an issue.

There are slopeboards that people have made to help with calibration. They're expensive - $100 is the price that comes to mind - but that's one way to ensure you don't lose your calibration.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, cosbornballboy said:

Oh shoot and I could map out the greens on my home course and the courses I'm about to play a few days in advance

Yeah, but you don't even need to do that. Not with Express.

Note: This thread is 2207 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!