IGNORED

How can I go up from 105 mph?

Note: This thread is 2187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All - first time post for me, so forgive me if I make any posting etiquette mistakes. 

I'm trying to improve my sweed sping. Right now I am at 105mph and I know there are a lot of people who wish they could be that fast, so asking to go higher kind of sounds greedy. But I have a sort of "life goal" of driving 270+ yards. Dream goal of 300. Right now on a really good day I *think* I can get about 240-260 yards with about 225-240 cary distance, which is about right according to this handy chart:

Golf-swing-speed-chart

Coincidentally, I have one of those little swing speed radars that I love. 

My goal speed would be around 115 mph. From what I'm hearing, the thing to do to improve your speed is:

1. Lose weight (I'm a fat guy!) 
2. Get a 6 pack (not beer) / do core exercises and concentrate on flexibility.
3. Do yoga
4. Swing, swing, swing!

But I wondered if there are any other tips I could do to start working on this goal? Tips appreciated.

• Administrator

You might not ever. Some people are born capable of more speed than others.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Timing is something that not everyone gets. Your "good day" drives of 260 might be 210 or less  in some conditions . Your focus on a number for distance is not reasonable. You want to maximise the potential of your physiology. You might be at your limit already.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Like iacas said! Last year, at the age of 64, I hit a drive 299 yards! Confirmed by GPS on the cart. Do I do that all the time, or do I expect to do it? Hell no! I just managed to do everything perfectly and hit the ball flush with a little push/draw, which was my main shot shape back when I could play.

Most of the time, I'm not capable of generating that kind of speed.

I'm was about 105 swing speed last year.  I go to the gym 5 days a week and over the offseason (ugh golf in the northeast) I've been working on building muscle and will be incorporating yoga.  Pretty much boils down to what you already know, hit the gym and maximize your flexibility - and even then you might not increase your swing speed at all. 

Just like some people are born able to throw a baseball 90+ MPH, some people can swing a golf club at swing speeds most of us only dream of.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

This will probably sound like I'm trolling, but I'm really not.

Swing harder. I average about 102-103 MPH with the driver, but I can crank it up a little bit if I want to. I would try going all out and seeing what you can get. Figure out how to straighten it out later. You probably won't get 10 MPH, but you could get another 5 or so. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

6 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

This will probably sound like I'm trolling, but I'm really not.

Swing harder. I average about 102-103 MPH with the driver, but I can crank it up a little bit if I want to. I would try going all out and seeing what you can get. Figure out how to straighten it out later. You probably won't get 10 MPH, but you could get another 5 or so. 

More chance of getting more distance with squarer contact at a slower swing speed. Does Spieth (for example) look as if he's swinging out of his shoes? No. The 300 yard drivers don't impress you with how hard they look as if they hit it, they impress you with how easy they swing it. 

Here are three great examples.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

7 minutes ago, Shorty said:

More chance of getting more distance with squarer contact at a slower swing speed. Does Spieth (for example) look as if he's swinging out of his shoes? No. The 300 yard drivers don't impress you with how hard they look as if they hit it, they impress you with how easy they swing it. 

Sure, but he's only asking about getting more swing speed. Getting more distance can be a different story (e.g., look at your spin rates and launch angle, and make sure you're centering the ball).

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

You are wrong that 225 - 240 carry is all you can get with 105 MPH swing speed.  I get that with 95 mph swing speed per Trackman and Flightscope.  You need to get higher ball speed by making more solid contact, and get higher launch with less spin by hitting it on the upswing.  Tee it high and forward in you stance. Powder your clubface to see where you are hitting it and make adjustments to hit it more squarely.  Also, perhaps get a driver fitting if you haven’t done that.

This has great reviews and has exploded in popularity over the past year and is used by a few tour players including Phil Mickleson. 

https://superspeedgolf.com

I think @iacas has an affiliate code

I have a DIY set I made on my own for a fraction of the cost, but without having a swing speed radar, I have found it difficult to stay committed to the program because I cant quantify my swings to see if I'm improving or not.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

AS Erik said, it may not be in the cards to swing that fast. Just like some guys run faster and jump higher, a lot of that is god given talent. You can do some things to improve your swing speed through building strength, flexibility, etc, but at some point you will hit a wall. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

My swing speed is somewhere in the 105-110 range and i drive the ball 275-285. Carry a 7i 160 or so. You don't really need any more speed than that to play great golf. Fitness is always good, and doing gym and flexibility work is never a bad thing. But id concentrate more on maybe your shaft selections or working on refining your swing to find more distances rather trying to find it through brute strength. 

Your problem it´s your swing, ball flight or smash factor.
A year ago i got fitted for my driver and I averaged 103 M/h, 240 carry and 250 total messured by Trackman.

I used to play a high pool/slice. I changed my ball flight to a draw, changed the angle of attack (aoa) into a more positive one (around +3°..+4°). That gave me a more penetrating ball fligth and roll. I also lifted weigth at home twice a week for 6 month. Now i hit 260 carry and 280 total. I don´t think I increased my swing speed, just optimized my ball fligth for the speed i already have.    

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm around 102 mph.  I've been using the SSG sticks for a few weeks.  Has anyone any results with these long term?  Are the results "permanent?"  When I use them, I do get a bit of speed right afterward, but it's not really long lasting after a few weeks.  I'd like to see some permanent gains with it after several months/years like my lifting.  Do these provide that to swing faster?

@iacas I have heard a lot of great things about those, and I was looking at getting a pair myself this summer.  Does you code allow for $20 off the radar when you buy them in a bundle?  I think I have to jump on this deal.

I'm not speaking for @iacas but from their website the Golf Training System is $199.99 and the radar is $119.99.    From his link the total cost was $299.99 or $20 cheaper.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I've seen tremendous gains using Superspeed golf.  I have a thread on here u can look at.  I do go to the gym 5 days a week but I've been doing that for a long time.  Although over the years I've never lost any speed, I've never been able to find something to increase my speed.

Superspeed golf has done this.

Note: This thread is 2187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!