IGNORED

How can I go up from 105 mph?

Note: This thread is 2188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Working out can help, but if you have poor mechanics it won't matter much. 

Gotta swing those arms down faster. Not the shoulders, hips, or etc. Just the arms.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
On 4/10/2018 at 2:47 PM, shakogolfer78 said:

@iacas I have heard a lot of great things about those, and I was looking at getting a pair myself this summer.  Does you code allow for $20 off the radar when you buy them in a bundle?  I think I have to jump on this deal.

Yeah, the code works to give you the pricing.

Here are a few:

Radar alone - https://superspeedgolf.com/collections/all-products/products/swing-speed-radar?aff=40 - $119
Men's System - https://superspeedgolf.com/collections/all-products?aff=40 - $199 (add the radar for $100).

If you buy by clicking the link(s) and/or typing in my referral code, please let me know - I'll give you a free "supporter" membership for a year here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The sequence in which you make your golf swing has a HUGE effect on the distance you hit the ball. If you get it wrong you'll be robbing yourself of a lot of distance.

To start the backswing you must do so with your big muscles…namely your back and shoulders. You do NOT want to start your backswing with your hands.

Now as you're starting the backswing by turning your shoulders and back you also need to shift your weight to your right foot. And you should continue to move your weight to your right foot (for a right hander) all throughout the turning of your backswing so that when you reach the top of the backswing position you have about 90% of your weight on your right foot.

So you can sum up the backswing as a shift and turn.

Now at what part of the golf swing does the most power come from? It is the transition. And the transition in the golf swing is when you change directions from the backswing to downswing.

Imagine you've reached the top of your backswing position. What should start the downswing?

The correct answers is: The weight shift should!

To start the downswing you need to first move your weight back to your left foot. Then you need to move your left knee towards the target, then the left hip needs to move towards the target, followed by the left shoulder and finally your hands should move.

The sad thing is that most golfers start their downswing with their hands and that's a killer as far as creating distance is concerned. You've got to start the downswing with the weight shift and then the left knee.

So go out and try this now….

Swing slowly back to the top of your backswing and then when you've almost reached the top of your backswing move your weight back to your left foot and move your left knee towards your target. Once you've got the feeling of doing this then speed up the swing.

Now personally I just like thinking about moving my left knee towards the target to start the downswing. And I suggest you try that golf swing trigger as well.

If you get this sequencing correct from the backswing to downswing you'll gain a lot of distance and the golf swing will be a lot easier for you.

• Administrator

Nowhere near 99% of your weight goes to your back foot @winninggolfer. Sometimes in some players 90% pressure goes back but usually not much above 60% weight.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My question would be: Do you really need to swing faster than 105mph? What is your game currently like re accuracy, irons, short game, putting etc.?

What sort of impact do you think it will have on your game (huge or negligable?)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

6 hours ago, RussUK said:

My question would be: Do you really need to swing faster than 105mph? What is your game currently like re accuracy, irons, short game, putting etc.?

What sort of impact do you think it will have on your game (huge or negligable?)

Science says about 3 yards per MPH gained with driver.  So, yeah, pretty huge if you can get more speed.  That's one of the biggest factors in determining one's potential to play this game- SPEED.  The more speed you have, the more likely you're swinging in an optimal fashion- i.e. a lot has to go right with sequencing to put that much speed at that ball.  You're also shorten the course and be closer to the hole.  Speed is massively important to this game.

• Like 1

Just now, ncates00 said:

Science says about 3 yards per MPH gained with driver.  So, yeah, pretty huge if you can get more speed.  That's one of the biggest factors in determining one's potential to play this game- SPEED.  The more speed you have, the more likely you're swinging in an optimal fashion- i.e. a lot has to go right with sequencing to put that much speed at that ball.  You're also shorten the course and be closer to the hole.  Speed is massively important to this game.

Never said it wasn't. Just asking a geniune question to the OP as to whether its something he would like or something he needs as im intrigued. If he's already playing good golf does he need to swing a 115mph?

Everyone wants to hit 300 yard drives but is it a necessity?

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• Administrator

@Darkenor… what do you think?

5 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Never said it wasn't. Just asking a geniune question to the OP as to whether its something he would like or something he needs as im intrigued. If he's already playing good golf does he need to swing a 115mph?

Everyone wants to hit 300 yard drives but is it a necessity?

In golf what's the difference?  Need...want...it's a game.  We don't need to play this game.  You can play golf with whatever speed you have, but you'll be much better (all things equal) with more speed.

Last question- depends on how good you want to be at the game, how much time and $ you're willing to put toward it, and what you have to offer physically/mentally from the start.  Golf is heading toward domination by super-athletes.  Tiger gets the credit for starting it, and he probably did.  Guys like Tiger, Finau, Cameron Champ, Loupe, DJ, Sadlowski, Koepka, and on and on.  That's only the beginning.  You'll see within 10-20 or so years kids that grew up with launch monitors, proper diet and fitness, and the works dominating the Tour and guys like Zac Blair won't even make it.  DJ won't even a long guy anymore.  You'll be seeing guys with 200+ ball speed with driver on Tour very soon.  

Edited by ncates00
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

In golf what's the difference?  Need...want...it's a game.  We don't need to play this game.  You can play golf with whatever speed you have, but you'll be much better (all things equal) with more speed.

I agree, providing you are still in control. No point having great speed if the controls gone. But yeah a decent speed is a plus.

4 minutes ago, RussUK said:

I agree, providing you are still in control. No point having great speed if the controls gone. But yeah a decent speed is a plus.

I'd rather error on the side on speed without reservation.  Speed is something you have or don't have.  You can work on it, but it seems rather God-given.  You can always work on control.  With today's tech with gcquad, trackman, lessons, etc.- control is a non-issue.  If you can produce that much speed and force, you have what it takes to control your body.  It's more complicated than you're making it out to be.  You're making assumptions that having speed means you lack control.  They're not mutually exclusive.  See any of the top guys that make checks on Sundays...

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

I'd rather error on the side on speed without reservation.  Speed is something you have or don't have.  You can work on it, but it seems rather God-given.  You can always work on control.  With today's tech with gcquad, trackman, lessons, etc.- control is a non-issue.  If you can produce that much speed and force, you have what it takes to control your body.  It's more complicated than you're making it out to be.  You're making assumptions that having speed means you lack control.  They're not mutually exclusive.  See any of the top guys that make checks on Sundays...

I'm not going to get into an argument and im not making assumptions, just my opinion (maybe you are assuming im making assumptions? :-P) but i've seen plenty of guys who have big clubhead speed that spend most of their time in the trees. Those guys would be better dialing it back and putting control 1st. They'd probably hit it nearly as far and leave a better 2nd shot.

The "guys that make checks on Sundays" are a different kettle of fish to the rest of. Those guys practice day in day out, have access to the best coaches money can buy. Anyway, like i said, its my opinion and im not going to argue (not that we are yet?)

5 minutes ago, RussUK said:

I'm not going to get into an argument and im not making assumptions, just my opinion (maybe you are assuming im making assumptions? :-P) but i've seen plenty of guys who have big clubhead speed that spend most of their time in the trees. Those guys would be better dialing it back and putting control 1st. They'd probably hit it nearly as far and leave a better 2nd shot.

The "guys that make checks on Sundays" are a different kettle of fish to the rest of. Those guys practice day in day out, have access to the best coaches money can buy. Anyway, like i said, its my opinion and im not going to argue (not that we are yet?)

That's an old worn out misnomer.  You don't put it in the trees because of speed.  Maybe look at strike, face to path, and other issues...  Speed doesn't cause that.  Poor sequencing or mechanics can though.  You cannot swing too fast- you can get out of sequence and out of sorts, but speed doesn't cause that.  Whether you're a hack, a good am, pro, or touring pro, speed is a huge determinant of how good someone is at golf.  The guys winning your club championships and playing great amateur golf are by and large, faster, more efficient players who have speed.  Just think to yourself, who is the best player at your club.  He's not the guy hitting it "smooth" out there about 250.  Chances are, he's the guy who swing about 110+ and hits a lot of greens because he's closer to the hole.  You've really got to get out of this old way of thinking if you want to improve.  But by all means, dink away my brother!  In the words, of Tiger in his new Bridgestone ad, "oh, you're back there!"

• Like 1

A few posts back i did agree with you that speed was a plus for sure. I just have my own opinions on control.

Also, please dont assume (like my gran used to say, if you assume you make an Ass of U and ME) that i "dink away", i'm no Bubba but i have enough distance to play the course.

Anyway, i feel im hijacking the OP's thread so i'm going to call it a day on this one. Enjoy the rest of your morning.

2 minutes ago, RussUK said:

A few posts back i did agree with you that speed was a plus for sure. I just have my own opinions on control.

Also, please dont assume (like my gran used to say, if you assume you make an Ass of U and ME) that i "dink away", i'm no Bubba but i have enough distance to play the course.

Anyway, i feel im hijacking the OP's thread so i'm going to call it a day on this one. Enjoy the rest of your morning.

Cheers man.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RussUK said:

FWIW, I have seen just as many or more '80-85 mph' driver speed guys in the trees. Cliche but swinging faster with proper mechanics is a good thing. 

4 hours ago, ncates00 said:

That's an old worn out misnomer.  You don't put it in the trees because of speed.  Maybe look at strike, face to path, and other issues...  Speed doesn't cause that.  Poor sequencing or mechanics can though.  You cannot swing too fast- you can get out of sequence and out of sorts, but speed doesn't cause that.  Whether you're a hack, a good am, pro, or touring pro, speed is a huge determinant of how good someone is at golf.  The guys winning your club championships and playing great amateur golf are by and large, faster, more efficient players who have speed.  Just think to yourself, who is the best player at your club.  He's not the guy hitting it "smooth" out there about 250.  Chances are, he's the guy who swing about 110+ and hits a lot of greens because he's closer to the hole.  You've really got to get out of this old way of thinking if you want to improve.  But by all means, dink away my brother!  In the words, of Tiger in his new Bridgestone ad, "oh, you're back there!"

Good points in this post. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

I have seen statistics that suggest that typically (i.e. on average) longer people also hit it straighter. It's true that there are some people who hit it miles and it goes all over the place, but generally speaking, I think that if you have your swing in a good enough place to be able to hit it hard, then likely you have it in sequence and are hitting it fairly square and it goes fairly straight. 

Also it's much easier to learn straight than it is to learn long. With kids it's best to get them hitting it as hard as they can and then work on straightening things up later on. 

Lastly I am somewhere in the 105 to 110 range. I don't get the best out of it because I get a little steep and flip so I wind up with a fairly high dynamic loft, which drops my smash factor a little. I would dearly love to get that speed up to 115 and get a more powerful hit. I'm working on both things, with superspeed golf for the speed and lessons for the hit. If you find a good answer to the question that works for you, let me know!

Good lord.

The OP was asking how to add swing speed.

Not what our opinions are on the value of faster swing speed.

It's funny how so often when it comes up, many come out of the woodwork to question long-hitting, or somehow degrade it.  Hitting it far is a skill, just as much as hitting it straight.  Or putting well. 

I'm interested to hear topical responses.  I have never struggled with speed, but I'm in my mid 40s now so any time now... I'll start to see the decline.  I want to hold it off as long as possible!

• Like 2

Note: This thread is 2188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!