IGNORED

12th Hole At Augusta under 2018 Sunday Conditions, how would you play it?

onthehunt526
Note: This thread is 2170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now I know why only moderators/administrators can start major championship discussions.

But while this is related to the Masters, it is a completely different topic.

So you happen to have gotten an invite to play Augusta National, and are promised tournament Sunday conditions and hole locations.

You're standing on the 12th tee under today's conditions. Very light breeze, Pin in back right, as it is on Sunday every year. What club do you hit? Do you play for the flag or play conservative? Where do you aim?

I'll start... I would take an 8-iron over the left side of the bunker in the center. As long as I hit a stock one... I should be fine... The worst I would ever make is 4.

As a joke, I'd hit a 52° wedge as close to the Hogan bridge as I could and then putt it across chip on and 2 putt for a 5... haha

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

NoI'll start... I would take an 8-iron over the left side of the bunker in the center. As long as I hit a stock one... I should be fine... The worst I would ever make is 4.

You must be a pretty awesome putter. And you probably hit your 8 iron a little shorter than you think. ;-)

I know you're probably joking a little - but I seem to remember in past years people saying that they'd play safe and just try to hit fairways and greens and avoid 3 putts to shoot good scores on Majors courses in Majors conditions. As if that's easy to do. Fact is, most par 4s on championship courses are unreachable in two for the vast majority of recreational golfers. Despite what they think. 

I would be trying to hit a clean iron towards the back of the green and if I didn't hit it fat I'd expect to have a tricky chip from down the slope at the back. I would be trying to avoid the front and therefore would expect it to be too big. But, knowing how amateurs are, I'd probably hit a 7 iron thinking it was plenty and end up wishing I'd hit one more after it went in the water :-)

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

7 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Now I know why only moderators/administrators can start major championship discussions.

But while this is related to the Masters, it is a completely different topic.

So you happen to have gotten an invite to play Augusta National, and are promised tournament Sunday conditions and hole locations.

You're standing on the 12th tee under today's conditions. Very light breeze, Pin in back right, as it is on Sunday every year. What club do you hit? Do you play for the flag or play conservative? Where do you aim?

I'll start... I would take an 8-iron over the left side of the bunker in the center. As long as I hit a stock one... I should be fine... The worst I would ever make is 4.

As a joke, I'd hit a 52° wedge as close to the Hogan bridge as I could and then putt it across chip on and 2 putt for a 5... haha

I would play it like Sergio played 15 on Thursday, hit 5 in a row in the water!

Par 3 - 155 yards. 

Actually, I would go up one club and make sure I didn't hit it in the water. I'd aim right side. My shot zone for a 7-iron is 140 to 150 carry, 140 being heavy shots. The 140 would scare me and I'd go with a 6 iron. I'd most likely hit it long, but I wouldn't be wet.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

85-90% 9-iron, aiming over the right half of the bunker. My 9 iron is pretty straight, maybe a slight draw. If I aim over the right half, then the right edge of my shot zone would still be on the green. I would probably go for a slight push and get greedy :-D. It would probably draw a bit for me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I would take a 7 Iron and aim over the left half of the front fairway bunker. Probably a stock swing, but if the breeze is even a little into my face I may hit a 6 iron and live with a back bunker shot.

8 iron. I'd probably aim at the flag, because I hit a pull draw. You don't do anything fancy at that hole. You have to play it safe, get it over the water, and hopefully avoid the back bunkers.

I think a lot of us should actually being erring short over long. I could be talking out of my ass, but I would rather be dropping 3 on the other side of the creek than hitting 2 out of the back bunkers.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Depends on the wind. If there is no wind, i would probably just hit a 9i as high as a could to center of the green. If the wind was in my face, id try to drive a low 8 right at the usual sunday pin. If there was a cross wind, id just aim for the fat part of the green and hope it ends up in a manageable place. 

8 iron - aim at flag. Let her draw in a bit. Err on the long side. Dry is better than wet - just about 100% of the time. And lastly I would take any of the bunkers any day over a chip from rough. Anything delicate like a chip with me shitting my drawers in no bueno. 

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I think a lot of us should actually being erring short over long. I could be talking out of my ass, but I would rather be dropping 3 on the other side of the creek than hitting 2 out of the back bunkers.

I don't know about that. Back bunkers are no fun, but dropping on the wrong side of the creek is a death trap.  If you were to put a 2nd ball in the creek, you certainly wouldn't be the first to have done so.  

That said, front bunker might be the safest place to be, outside of being on the green.  

where does Jeff Knox play it? 

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

7 minutes ago, lastings said:

I don't know about that. Back bunkers are no fun, but dropping on the wrong side of the creek is a death trap.  If you were to put a 2nd ball in the creek, you certainly wouldn't be the first to have done so.  

Amateurs are really bad in bunkers. You have a slight mishit out of that bunker and you're in the creek or still in the bunker. If you go in the creek, you have to face that bunker shot again or go back to the other side of the hazard. Plus, I think you're going to get a decent amount of downslope lies

I think you're right that it's better to end up dry than wet. But I would be terrified in that back bunker.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I think you're right that it's better to end up dry than wet. But I would be terrified in that back bunker.

Agreed.   that back bunker is very scary.   back right towards the 13th tee box is pretty safe.   but, you're really taking any possibility at birdie out of play, and making it very tough to make par if you go over there.   
That said, I think it might be best played (by an amateur like myself) right at the pin or just right of the pin with an extra club.   But, you certainly can't have a mishit that goes short over there, or else you're swimming.   unless, of course, you have Fred Couples' luck.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Same as how I play every other par 3, aim for the biggest part of the green and hope I get it there. It's hard to judge how the wind will affect the ball at the 12th, or so I've heard. Long isn't a great option either so I'm going with full 9i.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, lastings said:

Agreed.   that back bunker is very scary.   back right towards the 13th tee box is pretty safe.   but, you're really taking any possibility at birdie out of play, and making it very tough to make par if you go over there.   
That said, I think it might be best played (by an amateur like myself) right at the pin or just right of the pin with an extra club.   But, you certainly can't have a mishit that goes short over there, or else you're swimming.   unless, of course, you have Fred Couples' luck.  

Not a terrible miss over there as long as you're past pin high. It really realistically is probably an easier miss than back left.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

What? I would hit a baby 9 iron just left of the flag and then make the 15 footer for a 2...you guys think too much. :-P

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Lay up, pitch on, take my two putts, and move on. At least that would be the plan.

You're a 9.5 hcp playing Augusta National for probably the one and only time in your life, with Sunday pin positions, and you would lay up on a ~150 yd par 3? That doesnt make sense to me. 

For me, it would depend on how I'm striking the ball that day. If I was striking it solid and felt good, I'd hit a normal 9 iron, aimed right at the middle of the front bunker. If I wasnt hitting it solid, I'd hit an 8 iron aimed at the same spot.

My normal shot shape is a fade. If it fades, it goes closer to the hole, if it stays straight, its middle of the green. I rarely slice with the short irons so its not likely that it would over fade into the water or anything, and hopefully by the 12th hole at Augusta my hands would stop shaking and I'd be able to make a good swing at it.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

If you have time and you are bored read this..

I googled earth the hole and mesured some distances from the rigth back tee.
155 yards to the middle of the green.
165 to the middle back bunker
147 to carry front bunker
163 to back rigth pin.
158 to carry water if you miss rigth but you are still on the green.
29 yards green wide. 

The green is not perpendicular, the left part of the green it´s closer and the rigth part is farther away from the player. So the green is not perpendicular it´s more diagonal from left to rigth. This kind of greens are bad for righties and good for lefties. Why? a righty when he misses left he normally miss long (closed face = more ball fligth) and when he miss rigth he normally miss short (open face = less ball fligth). So long left you can lose your ball in the flowers or short rigth you can be in the water. A lefty do exactly the opposite so he normally misses long rigth and short left exactly as the green shape, so if you are a lefty you have a great advantage over a righty.

As a rigthy i´m doomed.. I carry 150 my 9 iron and 160 my 8 iron. My shot zone for that irons is 28 yards so exactly the wide of the green so i always have to aim at the middle of it. 
Because of the water i prefer to miss long so if i have a 155 shot i prefer to hit the 160 club, the 8 iron.
If i hit it good i will be in the middle long of the green between the bunkers.
If i miss left i probably be in trouble long, maybe i could lost the ball in the flowers and have to re-tee and some of the shots will land safe in the green or just rough.
If i miss rigth some of the balls will be on the green and some will go for a drink because a didn´t reach the minimun 163 yards carry to hit the green on the rigth.

As a conclution, you need to hit a really good iron into the green or try to play lefty for a while before you play the hole!

Note: This thread is 2170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!