IGNORED

Is Joe LaCava Tiger's Best Choice of Caddie?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Joe LaCava  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Please read the first post, and then answer the question: Is Joe LaCava Tiger's best choice of caddie?

• Yes
    • No

By the strictest, most basic interpretation of the question, no. 

Joey LaCava is almost certainly not the absolute best choice out of all possible caddies out there for Tiger. There are hundreds of very very good caddies of which, at least one would very likely be better than Mr. LaCava for Tiger in some way.

But I’m being disingenuous and dodging the implied subordinate questions. 

1) Who would be better?

And...

2) Why or in what way(s) would this person be better?

Since I am, like most everyone, almost completely ignorant of the attributes of specific caddies at the elite level except for Williams, Bones, LaCava, I can’t answer those questions intelligently. 

Unqualified Opinion Time: 

Yeah, he probably would benefit from someone who challenged him and took an active role at key points during rounds. It might take just a tad bit of pressure off him if he could share the decision making process with someone he trusted (and was actually good). 

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stevie was a forceful caddie and Tiger fired him.

It's not what he wants, evidently. So La Cava might be perfectly capable of doing that, but is under direction not to. Caddies are overrated. TW knows the impact of emotions, indecision, etc.  He doesn't need anyone to tell him. They all are in that boat.  It's silly how people still claim that a caddie is needed to tell a golfer which club is the best one to hit.  If the golfer hits the wrong club, it's on him.  If he hits the right club, it's on him. 

And don't even get me started on this "we" bullshit.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

Stevie was a forceful caddie and Tiger fired him.

Eh. Kinda, not really. Tiger was sidelined and Stevie took a few gigs with Adam Scott. Tiger gave permission, retracted it 30 minutes later, and Stevie wouldn't back down, so they parted ways. This was after Stevie was already pissed at Tiger because of not putting out a statement supporting his lack of knowledge of the affairs… etc.

16 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

It's not what he wants, evidently.

The question doesn't ask what he wants. It asks what we (admittedly unknowing) think he needs.

16 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

Caddies are overrated. TW knows the impact of emotions, indecision, etc.  He doesn't need anyone to tell him.

I don't agree with that. Caddies can be very important at important times.

They're the only other person on the player's "team" during a round. What they say can absolutely change the mindset or shot that a player chooses to hit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/14/2018 at 4:25 PM, Patch said:

Also it seems Freddy, and Woody are good friends on, and off the course. That in itself helps to make La Cava a good fit. 

Really? Woody? Who are you....patchy?

I voted no. I think Tiger could use a little interjection at times. LaCava seems like he just lets things happen but I don't hear the whispers between the two. Perception says he is just lugging a bag and divvying out course information, which can be done by most good caddies. One thing I take from LaCava is that he is quiet and trustworthy to keep information to himself about any or all Tiger's business. Maybe he is someone unlike loud mouthed shill Hank Haney and Stevie who lack any appreciation that they would be relative no body's if it wasn't for Tiger and Tiger appreciates that component.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I think La Cava is getting a bad rap here... he got the f'd up Tiger.

Stevie had the "great" Tiger, before he was busted and his mental house of cards came crashing down.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3jacker said:

I think La Cava is getting a bad rap here... he got the f'd up Tiger.

Stevie had the "great" Tiger, before he was busted and his mental house of cards came crashing down.  

I don't think "Comeback Tiger" is the issue. It's whether Joe is carrying a bag or carrying a bag and knowing TIger's game, is advising him/saying "No, Boss" and saying "Commit to it, and visualize it."

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

In my opinion, Tiger needs someone that will push his buttons.  When he was growing up, his father filled that role.  When Tiger was hot, and since his Dad couldn't be next to him, SW filled that role. LaCava may be a friend, confidant, and Sherpa of the highest order.  But Tiger needs that occasional push. 

• Like 1

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, djfajt71 said:

In my opinion, Tiger needs someone that will push his buttons.  When he was growing up, his father filled that role.  When Tiger was hot, and since his Dad couldn't be next to him, SW filled that role. LaCava may be a friend, confidant, and Sherpa of the highest order.  But Tiger needs that occasional push. 

That’s what I’m saying.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think a player/caddy relationship is like a marriage - only the ones inside it really know it.  No matter how it looks to the outside world.

• Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

This thread asks is he the BEST choice. Most likely not, there might be someone better. Is he a GOOD choice? Probably. It can't be the easiest bag out there, and LaCava is one of the best supposedly.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

On 4/14/2018 at 4:43 PM, Patch said:

Well, there's probably that loyalty thing to. I know they have been together for a while. Even won some tournaments I believe. There's plenty of articles out there about LaCava's loyalty, and Woody taking care of him money wise, when Woody wasn't playing. I remember one ESPN article where LaCava turned down offers to caddy for other pros. Woody even offered to help him find another bag. The guy is loyal to Woody, and Woody is probably glad he is. 

I don't think Woods has any idea about what loyalty is.  He's never hesitated to cast someone aside when he/she has lost utility. 

With that said, I believe Tiger is better situated to evaluate LaCava than I could ever hope to be. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, tdiii said:

With that said, I believe Tiger is better situated to evaluate LaCava than I could ever hope to be. 

That was stipulated to.

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, tdiii said:

Not really.

It was:

On 4/14/2018 at 4:07 PM, iacas said:

I didn't include an "I don't know" in the choices in the poll above because that's the only answer any of us should choose. Hell, even Tiger and Joe himself don't necessarily know if he's the best choice - Tiger just uses the available information to arrive at a decision.

I don't know. None of us do.

But the poll intentionally only has "yes" or "no" as possible answers.

You make some valid points. I think that if Tiger was at the point in his career when he made the Cowan to Williams transition, then he would definitely need someone like SW.

Now, I watch Woods on the course and see him smiling a whole lot more than I used to. I think he missed being out there so badly, that he's just happy to be back. If the old fire returns, then he may need somebody with a more forceful personality.

And it's not just LaCava. I don't know if Bones said anything to Phil on the 18th tee in the final round of the US Open at Winged Foot, but I was kind of surprised he didn't yank the Driver out of Phil's hands, snap it over his knee, and hand Phil the 3 wood. "Phil! You can make bogey and win the US Open! Go make a bogey!"

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And it's not just LaCava. I don't know if Bones said anything to Phil on the 18th tee in the final round of the US Open at Winged Foot, but I was kind of surprised he didn't yank the Driver out of Phil's hands, snap it over his knee, and hand Phil the 3 wood. "Phil! You can make bogey and win the US Open! Go make a bogey!"

Bogey would have tied him with Ogilvy, and he needed par to win it outright. The driver would have gotten him to the corner, and both he and Bones said they couldn't get to the corner and thus couldn't easily reach the green by hitting a lesser club.

But back to the topic.

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

You make some valid points. I think that if Tiger was at the point in his career when he made the Cowan to Williams transition, then he would definitely need someone like SW.

Now, I watch Woods on the course and see him smiling a whole lot more than I used to. I think he missed being out there so badly, that he's just happy to be back. If the old fire returns, then he may need somebody with a more forceful personality.

When Tiger was being interviewed after the API and he said, ‘I wasn’t committed to any shot’ regarding his tee shot on #16, I wish he had been asked, “Did Joe have an idea on what shot to hit? Did he have anything to say or do you think he thought you were committed to a shot?

How Tiger would’ve answered that my have shed some light on their dynamic.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 hours ago, tdiii said:

I don't think Woods has any idea about what loyalty is.  He's never hesitated to cast someone aside when he/she has lost utility. 

I think you're right.  There will never be  a replacement for Earl.  He couldn't fire Earl.

Note: This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!