Jump to content
Jcompton62

Beginning Golfer - Irons <Old v New> Steel or Graphite

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

31 years old and just starting playing. I know a few basics but still struggle a bit mostly with topping the ball and getting into a full swing...I'm still kind straight arming it and not getting into my backswing very far or follow through. But I tend to hit everything straight as an arrow. 

I had choice of two club sets, same price older Cobra II OS irons w steel shaft or Ping G5 that are graphite. Using both on air I felt I got better club speed w the cobra's. So I picked them up but kinda regretting not getting the G5s. After using the cobras at the range I'm not sure if either a> I don't have the club speed to be get the ball to carry (I'm getting ok height but not nearly as much as other golfers) or b> if it's just me being new and not getting under the ball and the difference between the clubs doesn't matter once technique improves.

Debating exchanging for the G5s but not sure if itd make a difference. They have graphite shafts, which I've preferred in past just tooling around but I also had success w cobra brand in past. 

My question is would the newer G5s w graphite make much of a difference in getting more loft on the ball or would everything end up being equal w steel shaft cobra iis once i get more consistent in technique. 

Thanks

Edited by Jcompton62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

12 hours ago, Jcompton62 said:

31 years old and just starting playing. I know a few basics but still struggle a bit mostly with topping the ball and getting into a full swing...I'm still kind straight arming it and not getting into my backswing very far or follow through. But I tend to hit everything straight as an arrow. 

I had choice of two club sets, same price older Cobra II OS irons w steel shaft or Ping G5 that are graphite. Using both on air I felt I got better club speed w the cobra's. So I picked them up but kinda regretting not getting the G5s. After using the cobras at the range I'm not sure if either a> I don't have the club speed to be get the ball to carry (I'm getting ok height but not nearly as much as other golfers) or b> if it's just me being new and not getting under the ball and the difference between the clubs doesn't matter once technique improves.

Debating exchanging for the G5s but not sure if itd make a difference. They have graphite shafts, which I've preferred in past just tooling around but I also had success w cobra brand in past. 

My question is would the newer G5s w graphite make much of a difference in getting more loft on the ball or would everything end up being equal w steel shaft cobra iis once i get more consistent in technique. 

Thanks

Graphite shafts for irons tend to be more for folks with lower swing speeds. There is a lot more to selecting irons/shafts, etc. but I think as a younger person, you may be better off with the Cobra irons. That being said, we don't know much about your swing, physical ability, etc., so the Pings may be a better choice.

This is a great site for getting better and I think that should be your focus. We have a member swings section that you can post video of your swing and folks will help you improve. I recommend doing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Graphite shafts for irons tend to be more for folks with lower swing speeds.

But aren't some tour players using graphite? For steel, I really like Nippon...Very consistent manufacture and several weights. But I, too, think the Cobras would be great for @Jcompton62Nevertheless, while I have hit a few Cobras, I don't pretend to know; at 72, and returning after a 6-month forced layoff, my issues are different. Keep us posted with your decision. Regards, -Marv

Edited by MarvChamp
Nippon not Nisson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, MarvChamp said:

But aren't some tour players using graphite? For steel, I really like Nippon...Very consistent manufacture and several weights. But I, too, think the Cobras would be great for @Jcompton62Nevertheless, while I have hit a few Cobras, I don't pretend to know; at 72, and returning after a 6-month forced layoff, my issues are different. Keep us posted with your decision. Regards, -Marv

 

I think there are some pros who use the Aerotech Steel-fiber which essentially like a combo of graphite/steel. I had them on a set of Ping S55 irons and loved them. I don’t think many if any Tour pros use straight graphite shafts. Not with their swing speeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Vinsk a quick internet search shows Spieth used graphite in some clubs when he won the 2016 PGA Tour Hyundai Tournament of Champions. Aerotech is the leader though in use (and price). This might be an interesting research project. But I'd rather play, I guess. Best, -Marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

@Vinsk a quick internet search shows Spieth used graphite in some clubs when he won the 2016 PGA Tour Hyundai Tournament of Champions. Aerotech is the leader though in use (and price). This might be an interesting research project. But I'd rather play, I guess. Best, -Marv

Ok. Yeah, I thought he just used them in his hybrids/FW....didn’t realize  he had them in any irons.

Edited by Vinsk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played both Ping and Cobra, (along with Callaway and Cleveland), and would suggest for a beginner the Pings. They have always been made as a forgiving iron and are great for a beginner. (IMHO).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply finally went out and played a full 18 w the cobras shot 113 with only the irons. Tried a driver and shanked both which is weird because when I first started playing 15 years ago I could hit drivers okay but sucked at irons. 

Anyway still struggling at times getting under the bar getting loft and getting distance. About 140 with the 4 iron, like 110-120 with a 7 <on very solid contact>. I know right now I'm not driving with my hips much and not getting fully into backswing or doing a great job w the follow through. 

What can I expect once I improve my iron game? I'm 32 and a average athlete. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The irons you use really don’t matter much right now. Sounds like your not transferring your weight. Hitting a golf ball is like pitching a baseball, you have to finish with your belly button pointing to the target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I think thats my biggest thing right now is the finish and follow through; I'm hitting down into the ball pretty well but not through the ball and def am not turning with my belly button towards the target. Felt like I was making really good contact and finally getting loft on the ball but felt like I was leaving it 20 yards short everytime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want, you can start a swing thread and you'll be able to get plenty of good feedback.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/?do=add

Here's a page on some advice to get the most out of a swing thread:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...