iacas

Titleist 818 H1/H2 (Hybrids)

6 posts / 1119 viewsLast Reply

First time playing with these the past few days… wow. I like them quite a bit.

The first time out I put the "fade" stick in (well, I put the draw/fade stick in the fade orientation). The ball would NOT draw (unless really forced), and that was impressive. The second round out I put the neutral stick back in, and could shape whatever I needed both ways, without fearing a big big hook (though the ball did draw easily).

I really like the squarer, smaller look of the club, too, in the H2 option. @georgep has the H1 model.

I have my 19° H2 set at 18° right now with the D1 setting. It takes the place of a 5W/2I between my 3W and my 3I.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I've also had a love/hate relationship with hybrids for some time now. Their ability to handle so-so lies is a major boon, but their right-to-left bias creates problems for me. The hook has been my usual miss with all clubs, and hybrids exacerbate this.

In previous models, the Titleist SureFit hosel helped with this tendency, but the hook still crept back in at all the worst times. When I first hit the 818, the SureFit CG (i.e., fade/draw stick) helped produce a slight fade on my stock swing. That's a very useful shape for approach shots into greens. 

The H1 clubhead is a little wider from front to back than the H2, but is still far trimmer than many hybrids on the market today. I carry one fairway wood, so the 21 degree H2 will serve as a transitional club between a 4-wood and my irons. 

Here's a feature that won't impact play, but the white Titleist 818 headcover is sharp!  

I am thnking seriously about the H1 in 21* to replace my two hybrids (20 and 23).

On 4/14/2018 at 8:09 PM, iacas said:

The first time out I put the "fade" stick in (well, I put the draw/fade stick in the fade orientation). The ball would NOT draw (unless really forced), and that was impressive. The second round out I put the neutral stick back in, and could shape whatever I needed both ways, without fearing a big big hook (though the ball did draw easily).

Hmm.. I might have to look into this model some more. I typically hit a fade with all clubs, except the hybrid, which seems to draw, fade, or be straight. Hard to have confidence in it when I dont know where it's going. I like that with the SureFit CG you weren't able to get it to draw unless really forced. 

I've never hit a Titleist club before, and as you can see by my current bag setup, I dont really have a brand preference so I'd be open to this. Might have to look for a demo day near me.

7 hours ago, klineka said:

I've never hit a Titleist club before, and as you can see by my current bag setup, I dont really have a brand preference so I'd be open to this. Might have to look for a demo day near me.

Titleist Thursdays are another good option for getting fit and a pretty cool (and free) service. Here in Central Ohio, they start up again at Kinsale (Powell) in mid-May. Check out the Titleist website for more.