IGNORED

IPS 4.3 is Now Installed

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 2188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator
(edited)

IPS, or "Invision Power Software," is the software platform that we use to run the forum.

Yesterday I upgraded from version 4.2.9 (the latest in a series of small updates) to the feature-filled 4.3 version. This update has been in the works since the start of 2018, and is finally here and in early tests delivers what it says it will.

Some of the best features are for admins and mods, but for you folks - theΒ users and members - here areΒ the features you will notice and want to use:

Automatic Content Moderation (Link)
This feature lets members hide content that's either inappropriate or spam. If enough members report the post as "inappropriate" (i.e. someone calling someone else names and behaving very poorly) or "spam" (obvious), the content will be hidden and moderators will be notified. Members with a reputation of > 72 need more reports for their content to be automatically hidden.

Emoji Support (Link)
In addition to the emoji we used to have (like :bugout:Β and :hmm:Β and :-)Β and :beer:), we now have access to the full range of normal emoji, like πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈΒ and πŸ—‘οΈΒ and ✈️ and anything else. To type an emoji, just type it… or… just type a colon and then start typingΒ the word. For example, for a facepalm, type : and then "face" like this: :face . A list of possible emoji will appear. Or select it from the emoji menu item in the toolbar.

Paid Clubs (Link)
I won't say much about this now because I don't know that we'll ever use the club, but eventually members can create "paid clubs" that members pay to join. Clubs received some other enhancements as well.

Gallery Improvements (Link)
Finally, you can create a gallery that anyone can submit to. For example, I've opened up theΒ Animated GIFs galleryΒ to everyone. MyΒ Newport Cup 2017Β gallery is open to specified members (captains and players). (Though there's seemingly a bug with this right now.)

Excluding Groups from the Leaderboard
I've finally got the ability to hide myself fromΒ theΒ Leaderboard. If you're not familiar with the Leaderboard, check it out.

Blog Improvements (Link)
Several small improvements to blogs. Check them out. If you don't yet have a blog, and want one… just visitΒ https://thesandtrap.com/blogs/Β and start one for yourself.

Improved Search (Link)
Yay! I'll look into setting up ElasticSearch eventually, but for now, evenΒ the MySQL search is improved.

This isn't a comprehensive list. There are a number of other small improvements and changes.

Edited by iacas
edited emoji part after upgrading to utf8mb4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Excluding Groups from the Leaderboard
I've finally got the ability to hide myself fromΒ the Leaderboard. If you're not familiar with the Leaderboard, check it out.

Check the link please..

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Check the link please..

Yeah…?

https://thesandtrap.com/leaderboard/

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, iacas said:

It didn't work when you first posted, maybe that's what @dennyjonesΒ is referring to. I assumed the site was still updating.

Fine now.

Are the emojis OS specific? Like some Apple emojis won't show on Android devices and vice versa? This is what I see on my phone.Screenshot_20180426-091704.jpg

I'm assuming the random question marks are other emojis that aren't supportrd by Android.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Actually that seems to be a bug right now, and not properly supported for some reason. I type them, they appear properly, and then when I submit they translate to ?? for me as well.

• Administrator

I think the upgrade was supposed to upgrade the format of some database rows to something other than UTF-8, like UTF-8mb4.

Testing utf8mb4

πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈπŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊπŸ—‘οΈ

Testing πŸ˜²πŸ˜©β˜ πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ό

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, billchao said:

Testing πŸ˜²πŸ˜©β˜ πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ό

Cool.

Remember, if the emoji menu is slow, you can type a : and then type out the word.

For golf company logos, for example Snell, you can type :sne and the logos will appear, and if you finish it by typing ":snell:" without the quotes, you'll get :snell:.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Emoji are now supported throughout the site.

If the menu is slow to load for you, just type a colon and start typing a word like "palm" for a "facepalm" or whatever. Type "boat" or "flag" for the boats or the flags.

Β 

πŸ‘

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

:geekgolf:

Cool stuff.

Is this a better benefit for mobile users or desktop users or both?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

:geekgolf:

Cool stuff.

That's not what's new. That we've had for… six years? More?

10 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Is this a better benefit for mobile users or desktop users or both?

Everyone.

Hopefully it will clean up the mobile html entries. That is always a tedious endeavor and has cut down my posting

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Is there any way, other thanΒ typing somethingΒ in the "About me" section, to not see the "Your profile is 0% complete" ?

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Hopefully it will clean up the mobile html entries. That is always a tedious endeavor and has cut down my posting

I don't know what that means. I use my phone pretty frequently. Be more specific?

6 minutes ago, klineka said:

Is there any way, other thanΒ typing somethingΒ in the "About me" section, to not see the "Your profile is 0% complete" ?

I have an idea what you mean, but PM me a screenshot or something. The software has a "Profile Completion" setting, and it's enabled, but the "About Me" thing is in the optional forum information.

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't know what that means. I use my phone pretty frequently. Be more specific?

I have an idea what you mean, but PM me a screenshot or something. The software has a "Profile Completion" setting, and it's enabled, but the "About Me" thing is in the optional forum information.

It is more of a process. If I enter something "here" and I want to do a correction or trim a quote, I have an extremely difficult time going back to the location I want to continue. I have to enter all text perfectly, then trim quoted areas. I know it is hard to understand but it has been going on for a while and half the time I just give up and discard the whole post all together.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Valleygolfer said:

It is more of a process. If I enter something "here" and I want to do a correction or trim a quote, I have an extremely difficult time going back to the location I want to continue. I have to enter all text perfectly, then trim quoted areas. I know it is hard to understand but it has been going on for a while and half the time I just give up and discard the whole post all together.ο»Ώ

1. I don't have that problem. But I'm using iPhones, and the editors work quite well. I can edit inside quotes, I can force touch and move the cursor around pretty directly, etc.
  2. You can select text even on smart phones and quote only the selection of text.
  3. You really shouldn't need to jump into HTML mode that often.
  4. Consider just @mentioning people and referencing the quote.

In general,Β the smart phone isn't super well intended to do heavy editing, particularly in HTML mode. That's not really ever going to change.

15 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

It is more of a process. If I enter something "here" and I want to do a correction or trim a quote, I have an extremely difficult time going back to the location I want to continue.

I do 95% of my posting on mobile and I don't seem to have this problem. If you want only part of someone's post, you can always select it and hit the quote this popup.

If you want to use multiple quotes you can use the multiquote function and trim in the quote box or you can compose your post and add in quotes where your cursor is, like I'm doing here.

19 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I have to enter all text perfectly, then trim quoted areas. I know it is hard to understand but it has been going on for a while and half the time I just give up and discard the whole post all together.

You can't see it of course, but I typed this sentence and then added the quote above.

I don't know much html and I never use it.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note:Β This thread is 2188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!