iacas

Busting Out of the Barrel - Why Turning in a Barrel is Wrong in 4,014 words

42 posts / 11427 viewsLast Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

For what it’s worth (which may not be much), the thread shared in the original post above is why I decided to join this site. As just a forum snooper at the time it was one of the best things I had read to date. 

As a college athlete (non golf) I hit the ball far for my size, but when I left college and started to focus more on golf my distance declined, I started reading and hearing about turning in a barrel and of course tried to adopt it in my swing. I lost a lot of distance (like a lot!) and even started to develop some back pain because I was trying so hard to stay in that barrel. Reading that thread got me on my track back to something that resembled golf, and dropped my HC from around 30 to the lower 20s in a year. It’s the reason why at 5’7 130 it’s not unusual for me to hit my 3 wood 240+ yards. None of that happened when I “turned in the barrel”. Just food for thought for anyone doubting the importance of sliding the hips or looking to see if this site has any instructional value. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is excellent. And for a real life situation this came into play:

My former instructor was watching me hit and he says...”Kevin your lead hip is moving toward the target just before your backswing is finished .”

Yeah I’ve been working on the transition.

Instructor: “Not good. You’re losing power and it’s messing up your downswing.”

You mean my hip press/slide is occurring out of sync?

Instructor: “No...you shouldn’t move your hip forward at all. You should swing back and through as if you’re standing in a barrel.”

He then proceeds to stick an alignment rod in the ground touching my lead hip and tells me not to touch it throughout my swing.

I actually referenced the hip slide thread for him to read after telling him not only does he slide his hip forward but just about every good golfer does too.

He never read it. Shame too. This guy is only 26 so I’d think he’d be more up to date.

I've heard the whole turn in the barrel story, too. I sometimes hang back too much and don't slide enough. I feel as if I need to get that hip slide headed toward the target at the top more often.

I had heard of the "turn in a barrel" thing...but I always thought it only referred to the backswing, as a thought to avoid moving off of the ball.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at yet another example of over-simplified and incorrect instruction.

11 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I had heard of the "turn in a barrel" thing...but I always thought it only referred to the backswing, as a thought to avoid moving off of the ball.

It can mean that, too, but it's definitely been used to mean on the downswing as well.

19 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Technically 8,014..😋

Nah. Those are single image files, hence, one picture. 😁

6 hours ago, amishboy51 said:

Does the hip slide on the downswing have anything to do with creating lag?

Broadly, yes. Sequencing. Soft arms and wrists prolly most important.

52 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Broadly, yes. Sequencing. Soft arms and wrists prolly most important.

Hmm....soft arms isn't a thought that works for me

7 hours ago, amishboy51 said:

Does the hip slide on the downswing have anything to do with creating lag?

Yes, but it’s complicated.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Hmm....soft arms isn't a thought that works for me

My bad. Should not have mentioned that as an 'absolute' across the board for everybody. And yes, it is a relative thing. 

Anyway, let's not hijack this thread. This is being discussed in the other 'speed from arms' thread that was raging last week. 

It's interesting to me that from the pictures it looks like the head/shoulders do kinda stay 'in the barrel'.

Could this be the reason for the comparison, as opposed to the hips - more focus on  steady head/shoulders?

I know every time I've tried to swing in a barrel, I end up reverse pivoting and spinning out.