IGNORED

Anyone Else Golf with a Junior?

Vinny Cap
Note: This thread is 2163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@Buckeyebowman  Great story!  I remember doing similar with a baseball.  Raking and shoveling for a whole season to pay for that window.  We both love to play and have such a great time doing it.  With the grilling after it make for a great day.

@Vinsk  That's good that you get out with your son.  Let him choose what sport he likes better.  I was "pushed" into baseball as a kid and will not do that same to my kid.  He has played soccer and football and now wants to golf.  I am SO down with that!

@SmiterofPV1x  Great story!  Thanks for sharing.  That's awesome that you get to play with all 3 boys.  Might make for a great 4some some day.
My town was pretty silly with its football program similar to yours, he tried it for 2 years and that was enough.  Going the golf route and I am happy and proud.
I wish your boys luck with HS golf.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I've got it made with the perfect foursome for life, that's for sure! 

A couple things that I forgot to mention, when they're first starting out you may want to alter the way you'd normally play. We played a lot of scramble format for two reasons. One for pace of play. Even if you're stuck behind someone and waiting on every shot, you will be looked at as THE problem if you have a cart of youth golfers. You'll have every ranger within 20 miles converge on you and tell you to speed it up, sometimes while you are telling them that you're waiting to hit and have been for 10 minutes. And they can plainly see that. That's frustrating. I actually had one demand that I hit (it was a 320 downhill, downwind par 4 with firm conditions-I was holding 3w-not even driver). I told him "no, I can reach them". He said no you can't, hit. I again told him no, and he yet again demanded that I hit. In frustration I went back to my bag, grabbed my 3i. At the time that was my 235-240 club but again this was downhill and downwind and it was firm. I hit it close enough that the guys on the green looked back, ended up 20-25 short from the front so they weren't in danger. A good three wood would have been on pretty easily. That was a very frustrating day, so just beware that if there are pace problems you'll probably be the culprit even if innocent. Forget the fact that you're playing behind a five some man  in 5 separate carts that all sit in their cart until their turn to hit, then select their club (no joke, this really was what was going on)  

The second reason to play scramble format, it's no fun plodding along to a 120+ score. By playing that way they can relish in the couple shots a round that you'll use of theirs and quickly forget the shanked/chunked/topped etc shot that they hit 50% of the time. 

My middle sons first round on a big course we were playing Ashland Golf Club. Hole 5 is a medium length par 5. I hit an ok drive and an ok second shot, leaving us about 20 yards left of the green. He holed it and he spoke the rest of the year about his "eagle" I think he was 8 at the time.  🙂

we still play this format some just to see how low we can go. Our personal best as a threesome is -7 on a par 70 course, that day was fun. Sometimes when we play with my dad and my oldest two boys, we'll play two man teams scramble format. We vary up the partners but so far this season no matter the teams we've been very competitive. Dad or I are never on the same team, we have one of the boys pair up with either of us. It's been competitive for two main reasons. Dad is improved greatly since last year, his first year back in 10-15 and I'm in the worst slump of my life. Last year I gave dad 18 strokes and he never once won. He almost did several times but choked. This year he's playing within 5-10 of me. Last year his estimated HC would have probably been 22ish, mine was about 5. This year he's probably playing to a 13-15 and I'm playing to about an 8-10. Neither of us have enough solo score by the rules rounds on accounts of the kids to have an official one. Now that they're getting old enough and good enough, we'll probably establish one again. But the past few years it's been all about the kids for me. Getting them into the game and keeping them interested. 

This is long enough, sorry! I get my thumbs warmed up and all kinds of stuff pops up! Hit them well, golfing friends. 

• Like 1

Was at the 19th hole one day and a father and son, probably about 16 years old, came in. The father, and son, were very excited because the son got a hole in one on a par 3. The father could not have been more proud of him. It was great to see the bond between the two of them, not just because of the hole in one. Golf can do that for you. Good luck, I wish your son and you the best.

• Like 1

@SmiterofPV1x  Another great story, thanks for sharing!

My son is cool with our handicap system as it keeps it competitive between us.  If he is having a real tough hole, I have him pick up and shoot from where I am shooting.  It's all about him having fun when we golf together.  I have my Sat morn with my buddies and that's my competition for the weekend.

I hear ya on the slow folk and rangers... we usually pull aside and wave anyone up if they are on us for a hole or two.  Well that's what we did in previous seasons... he has had real good pace of play so far this season... if we get slow we will just wave em through.  Too bad everyone doesn't do this!

I might try the scramble you suggested as I have met some father/son combos already this year at the club and that sounds like a good format for a Sunday afternoon foursome.  Thanks!

@cooke119  Good story.  Thanks for sharing.  My boy had that glow every morning at Myrtle Beach.  What a vacation!  We are pretty close and golfing together just helps strengthen that bond.  I see us playing for many years to come.

I have seen what you are talking about with other father/son combos.  Brings a smile to your face every time.

• Upvote 1

I often go to the range with my 4 year old. We're getting him some taster junior lessons for his 5th birthday. I really enjoy going with him as it's so much fun.

The lad has more of a club obbsesion then I do. He's already after a new driver and putter!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

@RussUK Nice! My little fella, now 6, started going "golpin " with me when he was three. He would only putt and then from a couple inches out only. But man did he take it serious. He'd line it up from both sides and basically go through the whole routine before tapping it in. It was hilarious to watch. I usually have a weekday off so he'd only come with me on uncrowned courses where I knew they wouldn't pair us up with someone else, I'd never put a serious group through that. Boy we had some good times together doing that.

Enjoy every minute of it. Mines now in school so our alone golfing time is now a thing of the past. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RussUK said:

I often go to the range with my 4 year old. We're getting him some taster junior lessons for his 5th birthday. I really enjoy going with him as it's so much fun.

The lad has more of a club obbsesion then I do. He's already after a new driver and putter!

That's awesome Russ.  Enjoy these times as they are so much fun and time goes by so fast!

My son was around 6 when we started.  Always had a blast with him be it in our yard with foam balls, at the range or chipping area, even putting in the house with our 5 hole mini golf course we made.

Take a ton of pics too as they don't always remember when they get older.

18 hours ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

@RussUK Nice! My little fella, now 6, started going "golpin " with me when he was three. He would only putt and then from a couple inches out only. But man did he take it serious. He'd line it up from both sides and basically go through the whole routine before tapping it in. It was hilarious to watch. I usually have a weekday off so he'd only come with me on uncrowned courses where I knew they wouldn't pair us up with someone else, I'd never put a serious group through that. Boy we had some good times together doing that.

Enjoy every minute of it. Mines now in school so our alone golfing time is now a thing of the past. 

Ear to ear smile for that story as I can picture my son doing the same.  Sounds like you guys had a ton of fun together.  It stinks when they get bigger and have to go to school... it's like "Hey I want my lil guy back so we can play!"

• Upvote 1

Yup! I'm going to blame that on my struggles this year. He's been with me for some of my best moments on the golf course. His first round with me, I made my only ever Albatross, a HIO on a short par 4. I've got a picture of him eating his hot dog, grinning ear to ear (he didn't know what but at 3 he knew daddy was REALLY excited), wearing his spongebob crocs and pointing at the ball in the hole. 

I miss the little twerp. I'll never forget the many rounds we shared together, just spending quality time together. The last year he knew enough about the game to be a mini counseler. "That's ok daddy, you'll do better next hole" or "great shot daddy!, you hit that one in". I've thought about keeping him home once or twice just to sneak in a round with him but my wife would kill me, lol. Did that with the older two once each and heard about it for the rest of the school year. 

• Like 1

@SmiterofPV1x Sounds like you have tons of great golfing memories with your boys.  Looks like they were spread out enough that you had that fun for many years!

Like the out of school stories.  Sometimes it's worth being in the dog house with the wife for some good old fun with the boys.  I am guilty of doing similar.  Totally worth it!!

If you ever get the chance, take them to Myrtle Beach.  SO much fun!

• Upvote 1

@SmiterofPV1x  I was telling my son about some of your stories yesterday on the way to the course and the other formats we can play and he liked the sounds of them.

It was a late tee time and I wasn't sure if we could even get 9 in so he was down with a best ball format.  I explained how we would play and off we went.

We took my driver and my iron on the first but he ran it up on the green with his wedge so he had a smile as he putted first and drained a 15' putt.  Big smile and a high five and we were off to the second hole even so far.

Put my D in the woods and he striped one down the middle and another smile.  I got us up on the green and he just missed the birdie putt.  He said I really like this format and I agreed as it moves us along and we just might get to play all 9.

So we ended up playing all 9 holes and used some of his drives, irons and wedges.  He had a blast as did I.  This is a great way for us to play after work and work on our game.  We were looking at the card after and going over our shots.  I used red for me and blue for him with lil dots where we landed and he out drove me on 2 holes and 2 we were tied.  His game is getting better already this season.  He was wondering when we are playing next!  Thursday looked nice so I will book a time today.

Last hole was the best as his drive was better and he skied a 9i to just off the green.  I ran it up to 5' and he tapped it in. So we shot a 42 and now have a marker to try and beat as we will do this when we go out for 9 and the time is short.

Golf is great and when you can get out with you son for some fun, fresh air and some bonding time... nothing can beat that!  :beer:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There is NOTHING that beats playing golf with your kids. I've pretty much given up on my game the past few years to focus on theirs. I'm 100% fine with that. I'm so very glad to see your post, I'm laid up right now with injury so seeing someone else playing how we like to play brings a big ol grin to my face. I'm glad you both enjoyed that format, I'm convinced it's the way to go with kids.

I always hit last so they never have any pressure. It's up to me to carry the team when they struggle. My middle son is going to be very good with the caveat that he doesn't get too gangly once he hits his growth spurt. He's beat me straight up once (at The Old Course to boot). He had the round of his life and he was hitting 3w closer than I was hitting my 9i. My oldest boy is good for a couple great shots a round but he probably has more fun than the rest of us. He knows he's a hacker and embraces it. 

What area of the country are you in? I'd love to bring my guys and play a round with you and your son. Don't know the best way to make it fair, but we could haggle about that on the tee. Sounds like a great way to spend a morning or afternoon!:) 

Enjiy your time with him sir! Once upon a time I was a very good golfer. Nowhere near Tour worthy but par was always in grasp. My entire focus is on THEIR game now. Before that i played and generally didn't have much fun. I enjoy the heck out of it now and am at least 8-10 strokes behind my best. It's all about them now and it seems you have the right perspective.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@SmiterofPV1x  Sorry to hear you are laid up.  Hopefully not too bad but I will share some stories to get you through it.  We are golfing tonight so I can't wait!  Is it 5 yet???  :whistle:

I am 100% on board with supporting my boy and growing his game during the week while also getting out on the weekend with my buddies to have some fun with them and work on my game.  Best of both worlds!

I am in Mass and was almost in your state during the trip to Myrtle Beach.  A round with you and your boys sounds like fun.  We haven't played with another father/son combo yet but are looking forward to it.  I have met some new people at the course who play with their kids and will try to setup something.

So here is a good one for ya that should put a smile on your face.

First time out with my son was a couple of years ago.  We jump in the cart and he is looking for seat belts.  He says "Dad, I don't see any seat belts!" with a worried look on his face.  I look over at him and say "You better hold on!" as I stomped on the gas pedal! Well, we all know how fast an electric cart goes, as he see how fast we are going he starts to laugh and puts his feet up and leans back a bit.  We both say "No need for seat belts" and bust out laughing.

So funny and I will always remember that.  He had fun that day as I tee'd him up at 100 on the 3's, 125 on the 4's and 150 on the 5's.  He did pretty good with his lil started set I got him and after wanted to play again later that week.  Of course we did play again and that's how we started playing together.

We will have some fun tonight and hopefully have another good story to share and put another smile on your face.  :beer:

• Upvote 1

Very cool story! My little guy who's now 6 started going with me when he was 3 or so. The first year I had to hold him with one arm anytime I drove the cart 🙂, just so he wouldn't fall out (what he said anyways, I was fine with a half hug every time we drove off!) 

I'm hoping for the best with the injury, haven't been diagnosed yet but something in my calf popped and even though there isn't much pain (or I'm too old and dumb to feel it) it's swollen about 2x the size of my other leg. Saw the doc and he basically told me to give it a couple weeks and if not better then we'd run tests. I could probably play if I had to but I don't want to make a bad situation worse so I haven't and won't until I see him again next week. 

• Like 1

I like the " I was fine with a half hug every time we drove off! "

That's awesome!

I hope your leg gets better soon.  Odd the doc would say wait that long and lets see what happens but then again, they like follow up visits and another $25 co - pay.

• Upvote 1

I don't blame the doc, that's just good business. Insurances aren't going to pay for an MRI until you've been laid up for a while anyways, so I guess I don't disagree with the approach. When I saw him, 2 days after the injury it was so swollen that I thought the pain was in the center of my calf. Now that the swelling is down some the pain is more interior. He poked and prodded the middle of my calf, told me he didn't feel anything bunched up (Achilles tendon fully ruptured-wouldn't have been even limping in at that point anyways-or a torn muscle that had seperated). It's definitely getting better too  

I'm going to the club in an hour or so with the kids. I'm not going to push it real hard but I'm going to swing a few, then do some short game work. Or maybe swing once then do some short game work. Or maybe stretch some then do some short game work. Going to have to play this one out on the fly. But I'm tired of sitting out so I'm going to ease myself back into this, at least a little. 

Half hugs are great from little guys. They're only surpassed by full hugs. I'm taking him with me as soon as he gets off the bus and eats a quick dinner! 

Well you brought it up so here is my story.  I have a son that is in the process of graduating HS next week, and just finished 4 years of HS golf.  It was a sad day the last tournament as he missed going to state.  Really only played for the four years of HS and it has become his passion.  He works at the CC and has been playing 6 days a week all summer the last three years.  When we started, I got back into golf with him; after a 20 year hiatus, he was shooting 130.  Now when playing for fun with the two of us he shoots very low 80's but hasn't broke 80 yet.

My younger son started with us and is now turning 11 and I just had to fork out the money for a full set of irons due to him being good enough to get gaping.  At 11 he can play at the 6000 yard local course at just above bogey golf.  I give him a stroke a hole and he has beat me twice this year.  

The three of us love to get out and play.  It has been one of the best things that we have ever done.  My graduate just was given Valedictorian, of his graduating class and a large part of that is the time that we are able to golf together and talk and spend time together.  I cannot even express how much golf means to the three of us.  It is the greatest game that we all hate.

I also appreciate all of the posts about your kids playing.  They make me smile. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Xed bag (sorry I think I have a 2x post), about what I expected. Hit some good and some really awful. Funny part to that was I was trying to hit the bottom of the flag at about 85 yards into a 20+ wind. I hit a beautiful punch that hit about 6" from the base of the flag. I wasn't trying to keep the ball close I was trying to land it on the flag, and had made my intentions known. My oldest, half paying attention said " oh that was almost good but it ended up too long". Had to reiterate that I was trying to land it at the base of the flag, the hops from there were what they were. Finally got a "nice shot" out of him, lol. 

The real fun and games started at the short game area. We play a game called "its good to be king". Basically the king is whoever WON the previous set. Not tied the reigning king, but beat him. The King picks the shot and the only rule is that it has to be 30+ feet away. Can be from the rough, fringe, or all putting. The king hits first, giving out the line and negating some of the advantage of all ties going his way. I always start out as king. Tonight I picked an uphill 75 footer and holed it first putt, lol. Next shot was a drop in the rough from 15 off to a nasty right to left breaker, holed that one too. It was good to be king and to close out the "hole" without a fight, lol. Kept up as king for about 8 rounds then lost it on an ugly 3 putt. Won it back a hole later when my kids dared me to only putt one handed, lol. I holed every single putt under 20ft, and a few over that, one handed the rest of the way. I'm thinking I might just leave the left hand in the cart from now on! I was on point! 

I like when the kids start chanting "old man golf...old man golf!" 🙂

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 2163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!