IGNORED

Anyone Else Golf with a Junior?

Vinny Cap
Note: This thread is 2135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Harpster said:

Well you brought it up so here is my story.  I have a son that is in the process of graduating HS next week, and just finished 4 years of HS golf.  It was a sad day the last tournament as he missed going to state.  Really only played for the four years of HS and it has become his passion.  He works at the CC and has been playing 6 days a week all summer the last three years.  When we started, I got back into golf with him; after a 20 year hiatus, he was shooting 130.  Now when playing for fun with the two of us he shoots very low 80's but hasn't broke 80 yet.

My younger son started with us and is now turning 11 and I just had to fork out the money for a full set of irons due to him being good enough to get gaping.  At 11 he can play at the 6000 yard local course at just above bogey golf.  I give him a stroke a hole and he has beat me twice this year.  

The three of us love to get out and play.  It has been one of the best things that we have ever done.  My graduate just was given Valedictorian, of his graduating class and a large part of that is the time that we are able to golf together and talk and spend time together.  I cannot even express how much golf means to the three of us.  It is the greatest game that we all hate.

I also appreciate all of the posts about your kids playing.  They make me smile. 

Awesome! You described it perfectly too. We hate to love it and love to hate it. We're some of the most competitive people out there. Even when playing scramble format and trying to be good teammates to each other, we always have at least a hole or two where we are all ticked off at each other, lol. Three straight terrible shots have a way of killing team unity! Other than my middle son, it's all fun and games though. He sometimes takes it too seriously and I have to have him sit out a hole or two. The flip side to that is that out of all of us he's the only one that has a chance to do something serious athletically. He just turned 13 and he's beat me head to head once. I'm not a scratch anymore, trending solidly the other way, but he's solid. Once he gains some swing speed he'll roast me almost every time. At a minimum I think he'll be a very good to great HS golfer. I understand that past that you've got to be GREAT and have the mental game to go along with it. That's what I worry about with him as he gets too upset too easily. He usually plays better a little ticked off, but that stuff won't fly when he hits competitive golf. 

Great thread. I love reading about kids playing golf and I love to share my experiences playing with my kids with others. Keep em coming! 🙂

• Like 1

My 4 year old asked me to take him to the range this weekend so i'm looking forward to that. I find it actually helps me practice as we share a bucket of balls so i have to maximise my practice time.

He's started getting to the point where i tell him what i'm working on and he tells me how i'm doing. Going to take him next time I play 9 holes to walk the course and maybe do a bit of putting so he gets used to being on a course.

Little nervous as i've not been on a course since i had my aneurysm last October

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My 1yr old plays with me on the garden when I'm practising chipping, always enjoys it and often asks my wife to take him out to play golf (golsh as he calls it) too. Going to get him his first proper club soon , probably for his 2nd bday, as he can't really do anything with my wedges!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Harpster  Great story.  Thanks for sharing.  I think we can all agree on this, Golf: We hate to love it and love to hate it!  :beer:

That's great, you have two sons to get out with and the younger sounds like he is up and coming!  Is the older son looking into College golf?  Nothing better than golfing with your kids.  So much fun!

@SmiterofPV1x  Glad you had some fun at the range.  I like the sound of your King game.  Might have to try it.  We usually play horse, similar to in basketball but with our wedges.  Drop all 60 balls from the shag bag and have some fun!

@RussUK  Hope you are penciling that in.  Sounds fun to share a bucket with him while he is giving you feedback on your shots.  Like you got your own lil coach there!

@Moxley  Sounds like you have a lil golf buddy in the making!  Get him some plastic clubs so he can smash it around the yard.  Be he would love that.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

My oldest son in not looking at college golf at this time.  He is planning on going on a church Mission this year and when he gets back will be going to study Genetic Engineering.  Golf will always play a part in his life rather it be inter-mural or even college golf.  It is such a game that in almost any company there are places and chances to play with important people and having the skills to be able to impress can, and probably will make a difference.  The funnest part is that both boys are just scratching the surface of their ability.

I love getting out with either one and take time to just get out one-on-one.  We also have some great games of "Dog" between the three of us.  We have all won at one point or another.  Another memorable experience was when the youngest got "bean-boozled" jelly beans for a birthday gift.  The loser of each hole had to eat a jelly-bean and the "dirty socks" flavor was as bad as it sounds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good time! Nothing like a vomit flavor jelly bean to soothe the fact that you played like puke! Debating heading to the club to practice with them, but weather is questionable so I don't know. I'm still trying to take it easy on the leg until I find out what's going on so probably won't. Tomorrow we were all supposed to play in an outing from another site, would have been their first experience playing with other golfers so I kind of wanted to see how they'd do out of their comfort level. Then the leg thing happened and I had to let the organizer know last Friday and it wasn't looking good then. Now I could play but I don't know about 36 still which this event was. Oh well, we'll catch one that'll work sooner or later on this site or that one. 

I have a kid with a weak stomach otherwise I like the idea! I'll have to come up with something, maybe loser wears a pink sports bra over their shirt 👚 the next hole? That would be a pretty fun way to embarrass them (and me 🙂 ). I'll have to turn my diabolical self on and give this some thought 💭.  

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 5:05 PM, Harpster said:

My oldest son in not looking at college golf at this time.  He is planning on going on a church Mission this year and when he gets back will be going to study Genetic Engineering.  Golf will always play a part in his life rather it be inter-mural or even college golf.  It is such a game that in almost any company there are places and chances to play with important people and having the skills to be able to impress can, and probably will make a difference.  The funnest part is that both boys are just scratching the surface of their ability.

I love getting out with either one and take time to just get out one-on-one.  We also have some great games of "Dog" between the three of us.  We have all won at one point or another.  Another memorable experience was when the youngest got "bean-boozled" jelly beans for a birthday gift.  The loser of each hole had to eat a jelly-bean and the "dirty socks" flavor was as bad as it sounds.

My son had some of those jelly beans.  Some were pretty nasty!  That is some punishment for losing a hole.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:41 PM, SmiterofPV1x said:

Good time! Nothing like a vomit flavor jelly bean to soothe the fact that you played like puke! Debating heading to the club to practice with them, but weather is questionable so I don't know. I'm still trying to take it easy on the leg until I find out what's going on so probably won't. Tomorrow we were all supposed to play in an outing from another site, would have been their first experience playing with other golfers so I kind of wanted to see how they'd do out of their comfort level. Then the leg thing happened and I had to let the organizer know last Friday and it wasn't looking good then. Now I could play but I don't know about 36 still which this event was. Oh well, we'll catch one that'll work sooner or later on this site or that one. 

I have a kid with a weak stomach otherwise I like the idea! I'll have to come up with something, maybe loser wears a pink sports bra over their shirt 👚 the next hole? That would be a pretty fun way to embarrass them (and me 🙂 ). I'll have to turn my diabolical self on and give this some thought 💭.  

That's funny about the bra.  We use to do similar in darts if you lost to a woman.  We had a skirt and you had to wear it in the next match you played after the loss.  Pretty funny.

Played with my son last night and we were able to squeeze in 13 holes.

Saw a couple of ladies take off with their cart and they forgot to strap in the bags and you guessed it!  Over the bump and bam, the bags and clubs are all over the cart path!

We started and ended real good with multiple pars and ended 4 over so we now have a new low for 9 of 40.  He sat and watched as I played the other 4 holes.  I was cool with that as I was trying out some new things and I had 4 GIR's and just missed all 4 birdie putts.  Ain't gonna complain about that!

Stopped for an ice cream on the way home as a lil treat for doing good and we had some good conversation about the round as we enjoyed our treat.  He had many good drives, iron shots and got out of 2 sand traps after I helped him to open the face a bit.  Very proud of his round.  He has recently taken to his 9i and is really smashing it. Nice divot and flying it real high.  His putting is getting better as he was reading the break good last night but was either a lil long or short for most so I had the pressure of draining the par putt.... love the pressure!!!

Gonna go play another 9 aft work on Friday and maybe Sunday afternoon with him and do some grilling!

Is it Friday yet?!?!?!?!?!?!

I've played a few times with my son last year and plan to much more this year. He'll be 10 in mid-summer and has a decent swing as he plays ice hockey year round (that sport seems to translate well to golf swings..lol). I only sign us up for 9 holes and if we make it great but I make sure we have fun the whole time as I want him to develop a love for the sport at a much younger age than I have found it.

• Like 1

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

@vonbonds  That's good to hear.  Get out with him as much as you can and have fun together!  We do.

My boy got me into golf and he has liked it since he was about 8.

Note: This thread is 2135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!