IGNORED

Left Wrist Through Downswing

Note: This thread is 2140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

image.png.b79005f63eacff361d6afaa174cc14ae.png

Is this you? That looks like pretty good inline impact there.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

Ok here's what I'm talking about in my case specifically, angle of my wrist extension is in red.  The lesson feedback was to get closer to what would be a flat red line and help close the clubface.

image.png.2cac6da99414d95eaae46d26495f5eb6.png

What worked for me was feeling like I was turning my left hand knuckles down like you would if you were trying to scrape them against the ground. I think my member description for a while was "Knuckle Dragger" as a self deprecating reminder to myself to do that feel.

3 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

Regardless, the hanger may be worth looking into for me if it helps keep the wrists flat throughout and if I have, in fact, been flipping.

image.png.b79005f63eacff361d6afaa174cc14ae.png

That's not a flip, but you turn your forearms pretty hard left from there IIRC. A roll is a similar compensation for squaring the clubface but not the same as a flip. I think the hanger will help. If you turn your left hand knuckles down, it might feel like you're keeping the clubface wide open through impact or you'll end up hitting hooks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

19 hours ago, colin007 said:

Is this you? That looks like pretty good inline impact there.

Yes it is, thanks!

19 hours ago, billchao said:

What worked for me was feeling like I was turning my left hand knuckles down like you would if you were trying to scrape them against the ground. I think my member description for a while was "Knuckle Dragger" as a self deprecating reminder to myself to do that feel.

I like this.  First, for humor.  Second because comparisons like that help me learn.  I improved my pivot with "someone is pulling your right pocket straight back".

19 hours ago, billchao said:

That's not a flip, but you turn your forearms pretty hard left from there IIRC. A roll is a similar compensation for squaring the clubface but not the same as a flip. I think the hanger will help. If you turn your left hand knuckles down, it might feel like you're keeping the clubface wide open through impact or you'll end up hitting hooks.

Yes, my arms go left in a hurry.  I think I've been doing a bit less of that recently and it may be the reason I'm hitting it to the right now.  Thanks to you and everyone else for the feedback.  I'll give this a go and look into the hanger.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

On 5/4/2018 at 10:40 PM, Puttin4Dough said:

Well in a drill that makes sense completely.  Shorten the swing to cut down the variables.  Good job!

Can't imagine using an aim stick and a club in the same hand and going full speed. You'd gouge your eye.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Can't imagine using an aim stick and a club in the same hand and going full speed. You'd gouge your eye.

You can have it sticking out just a foot or so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

You can have it sticking out just a foot or so.

You are correct. For me, I find the drill as worthwhile with a slower moving wedge with a 3/4 swing.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This video, though not about a flat wrist, helped me immensely in maintaining a flat wrist through impact.  By 'flattening out' my swing ( I had trouble coming over the top), it caused my wrist to stay in-line as well. Having lag or delay at the top is essential. When I first tried it I felt like I was out of control, but the exact opposite happened when I relaxed and let it my arms 'lag', my ball striking became crisper and more consistent.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

3 hours ago, metbid said:

This video, though not about a flat wrist, helped me immensely in maintaining a flat wrist through impact.  By 'flattening out' my swing ( I had trouble coming over the top), it caused my wrist to stay in-line as well. Having lag or delay at the top is essential. When I first tried it I felt like I was out of control, but the exact opposite happened when I relaxed and let it my arms 'lag', my ball striking became crisper and more consistent.

Metbid....you nailed it...relax...and great video!.  Too many instructors tell people to "push" and "pull" on the club which is how "they think"...but not what actually occurs.  For me, body rotation and like you said, being more relaxed, allows the club to shallow without thought. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Great video!  Just goes to show back swing doesn't really matter...wrist bow/cup...it's about squaring the club face based on the individual...why folks get honked up mimicking pro's.

1 minute ago, Puttin4Dough said:

Great video!  Just goes to show back swing doesn't really matter...wrist bow/cup...it's about squaring the club face based on the individual...why folks get honked up mimicking pro's.

I'll agree with your first sentence and disagree with your second, but it's late so won't elaborate further.

The video doesn't talk about backswing at all. It's a discussion about one single facet of the golf swing. I'd be careful about drawing conclusions about backswing stuff based on this one video alone (and if you watch more of their videos, you'll understand that backswing absolutely does matter - in fact they kind of touch on it here by saying the second pro has to "work harder" to square than the first). 

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'll agree with your first sentence and disagree with your second, but it's late so won't elaborate further.

The video doesn't talk about backswing at all. It's a discussion about one single facet of the golf swing. I'd be careful about drawing conclusions about backswing stuff based on this one video alone (and if you watch more of their videos, you'll understand that backswing absolutely does matter - in fact they kind of touch on it here by saying the second pro has to "work harder" to square than the first). 

How about Furyk or Daly...to name a few?

8 hours ago, Puttin4Dough said:

How about Furyk or Daly...to name a few?

We're getting off topic now, but of course you can compensate for a less than ideal backswing, but there's a reason there are more golfers on pro tours that fall within the range of "conventional" backswing than not.

Bill

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

We're getting off topic now, but of course you can compensate for a less than ideal backswing, but there's a reason there are more golfers on pro tours that fall within the range of "conventional" backswing than not.

^This, Certain movements help a golfer and certain movements need some compensation.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 hours ago, billchao said:

Thanks for posting this.  It's fairly eye opening to see that there's a twisting being applied to the grip at the start of the downswing.  My topic was started to see how I can better have a straight wrist through impact, but it looks like it starts more at the transition.

Diego’s Gear

• Administrator

Impact is more of a reaction to what came before.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That seems to be what the video is in a nutshell.  I'll be focusing on the transition then.

Diego’s Gear

2 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

Thanks for posting this.  It's fairly eye opening to see that there's a twisting being applied to the grip at the start of the downswing.  My topic was started to see how I can better have a straight wrist through impact, but it looks like it starts more at the transition.

Yes. Sorry, I just re-read my earlier advice to you and didn't indicate that the wrist flexion starts at the top, my fault.

Once you get to about A5 or so, it's too late to add any action to affect the swing. Everything from there is a reaction.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!