Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Foot Wedge

Left Wrist Through Downswing

39 posts / 4440 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

 

image.png.b79005f63eacff361d6afaa174cc14ae.png

Is this you? That looks like pretty good inline impact there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

3 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

Ok here's what I'm talking about in my case specifically, angle of my wrist extension is in red.  The lesson feedback was to get closer to what would be a flat red line and help close the clubface.

image.png.2cac6da99414d95eaae46d26495f5eb6.png

What worked for me was feeling like I was turning my left hand knuckles down like you would if you were trying to scrape them against the ground. I think my member description for a while was "Knuckle Dragger" as a self deprecating reminder to myself to do that feel.

3 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

Regardless, the hanger may be worth looking into for me if it helps keep the wrists flat throughout and if I have, in fact, been flipping.

image.png.b79005f63eacff361d6afaa174cc14ae.png

That's not a flip, but you turn your forearms pretty hard left from there IIRC. A roll is a similar compensation for squaring the clubface but not the same as a flip. I think the hanger will help. If you turn your left hand knuckles down, it might feel like you're keeping the clubface wide open through impact or you'll end up hitting hooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, colin007 said:

Is this you? That looks like pretty good inline impact there.

Yes it is, thanks!

19 hours ago, billchao said:

What worked for me was feeling like I was turning my left hand knuckles down like you would if you were trying to scrape them against the ground. I think my member description for a while was "Knuckle Dragger" as a self deprecating reminder to myself to do that feel.

I like this.  First, for humor.  Second because comparisons like that help me learn.  I improved my pivot with "someone is pulling your right pocket straight back".

19 hours ago, billchao said:

That's not a flip, but you turn your forearms pretty hard left from there IIRC. A roll is a similar compensation for squaring the clubface but not the same as a flip. I think the hanger will help. If you turn your left hand knuckles down, it might feel like you're keeping the clubface wide open through impact or you'll end up hitting hooks.

Yes, my arms go left in a hurry.  I think I've been doing a bit less of that recently and it may be the reason I'm hitting it to the right now.  Thanks to you and everyone else for the feedback.  I'll give this a go and look into the hanger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/4/2018 at 10:40 PM, Puttin4Dough said:

Well in a drill that makes sense completely.  Shorten the swing to cut down the variables.  Good job!

Can't imagine using an aim stick and a club in the same hand and going full speed. You'd gouge your eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Can't imagine using an aim stick and a club in the same hand and going full speed. You'd gouge your eye.

You can have it sticking out just a foot or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, iacas said:

You can have it sticking out just a foot or so.

You are correct. For me, I find the drill as worthwhile with a slower moving wedge with a 3/4 swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This video, though not about a flat wrist, helped me immensely in maintaining a flat wrist through impact.  By 'flattening out' my swing ( I had trouble coming over the top), it caused my wrist to stay in-line as well. Having lag or delay at the top is essential. When I first tried it I felt like I was out of control, but the exact opposite happened when I relaxed and let it my arms 'lag', my ball striking became crisper and more consistent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, metbid said:

This video, though not about a flat wrist, helped me immensely in maintaining a flat wrist through impact.  By 'flattening out' my swing ( I had trouble coming over the top), it caused my wrist to stay in-line as well. Having lag or delay at the top is essential. When I first tried it I felt like I was out of control, but the exact opposite happened when I relaxed and let it my arms 'lag', my ball striking became crisper and more consistent.

 

Metbid....you nailed it...relax...and great video!.  Too many instructors tell people to "push" and "pull" on the club which is how "they think"...but not what actually occurs.  For me, body rotation and like you said, being more relaxed, allows the club to shallow without thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Great video!  Just goes to show back swing doesn't really matter...wrist bow/cup...it's about squaring the club face based on the individual...why folks get honked up mimicking pro's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Puttin4Dough said:

Great video!  Just goes to show back swing doesn't really matter...wrist bow/cup...it's about squaring the club face based on the individual...why folks get honked up mimicking pro's.

I'll agree with your first sentence and disagree with your second, but it's late so won't elaborate further.

The video doesn't talk about backswing at all. It's a discussion about one single facet of the golf swing. I'd be careful about drawing conclusions about backswing stuff based on this one video alone (and if you watch more of their videos, you'll understand that backswing absolutely does matter - in fact they kind of touch on it here by saying the second pro has to "work harder" to square than the first). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'll agree with your first sentence and disagree with your second, but it's late so won't elaborate further.

The video doesn't talk about backswing at all. It's a discussion about one single facet of the golf swing. I'd be careful about drawing conclusions about backswing stuff based on this one video alone (and if you watch more of their videos, you'll understand that backswing absolutely does matter - in fact they kind of touch on it here by saying the second pro has to "work harder" to square than the first). 

How about Furyk or Daly...to name a few?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Puttin4Dough said:

How about Furyk or Daly...to name a few?

We're getting off topic now, but of course you can compensate for a less than ideal backswing, but there's a reason there are more golfers on pro tours that fall within the range of "conventional" backswing than not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

We're getting off topic now, but of course you can compensate for a less than ideal backswing, but there's a reason there are more golfers on pro tours that fall within the range of "conventional" backswing than not.

^This, Certain movements help a golfer and certain movements need some compensation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, billchao said:

Thanks for posting this.  It's fairly eye opening to see that there's a twisting being applied to the grip at the start of the downswing.  My topic was started to see how I can better have a straight wrist through impact, but it looks like it starts more at the transition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That seems to be what the video is in a nutshell.  I'll be focusing on the transition then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

Thanks for posting this.  It's fairly eye opening to see that there's a twisting being applied to the grip at the start of the downswing.  My topic was started to see how I can better have a straight wrist through impact, but it looks like it starts more at the transition.

Yes. Sorry, I just re-read my earlier advice to you and didn't indicate that the wrist flexion starts at the top, my fault.

Once you get to about A5 or so, it's too late to add any action to affect the swing. Everything from there is a reaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • The only problem I found on bending clubs are the ones that have little plastic/metal inserts on the back side of the clubs.  Because of these inserts, some local proshops, and/or club builders won't touch them for fear of breaking/cracking/popping those inserts. The owner, in need of an adjustment, may be required to send their clubs back to manufacturer. 
    • Day 478 It arrived today. What arrived was my new driver: a Ping 410 Plus with Alta CB Red Soft Regular Shaft. As I am still getting used to the new toy, I started with all the adjustable parts set to the most neutral settings.  Soon I adjusted to help with a slice. All after that change were straight where I was aiming.  I seemed to have picked up 10 MPH in terms of ball speed.  I need to work now on the results not being so high. I intended to hit only 20-25 balls.  I ended up hitting 45 as this club made driving fun.  It was easy to hit towards  various target greens.  What I need to adjust after a few more practice section I the launch angle to lower the fact that wit my older drive I tend to hit high spin. I rarely, if ever, fall in love with a club so quickly, but even with days of getting used to it ahead, as I said in my review on the Ping web site, it was love at first whack.
    • Was wondering if anyone has played here. Playing the ledgends course. 
    • Totally agree with keeping them standard length to start with. Can always grip down when they are long, but can't go the opposite way. Bending Pings is difficult at best and don't assume you will be able to have it done easily. May have to send back to Ping if you want them bent after the fact but they can do it.
    • Day 28 What a GREAT day!  This is why everyone should have a golf coach! So, about 5 weeks ago I was playing great. Then suddenly I completely lost it. Then I got hurt (non-golf related, but screwed up my game). When I came back from my injury I was pretty close to hopeless.  I got with my golf coach and he and I worked through what all had changed in my swing. It turns out I had made a minor adjustment without realizing it. Then I made an adjustment to counter act that adjustment, then another and another and pretty soon my swing was nothing like what my swing used to be like.  My coach brought up the video of my swing when it was good. We compared it to where I found myself after … I'll call it my melt down. Anyway, my coach was able to quickly get me back where I was before. Suddenly I was striping the ball down the middle again. Yay!  Anyhow, back to today's practice. I hit trajectory drills with the driver. I'd hit a high fade, then hit an 8-iron shot. Next I'd hit a low draw, then hit a hybrid. After that I'd hit a high trajectory drive, then hit a 4-irion. Basically I'd work through the 9 shots with the driver: high, medium and low, Draw, straight and fade combinations. But after each driver shot, I'd hit a different club from my bag, picking the club pretty much at random. I didn't want to hit any club more than one time in a row.  In the end I hit the ball so well on the range I had to run out and play 9 holes. My game has returned, I went 3 over for 9. I hit the ball so much better than I'd been hitting it recently. It felt great.  That's the reason everyone should have a golf coach.   
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Covert
      Covert
      (76 years old)
    2. Landonhux
      Landonhux
      (19 years old)
    3. opie
      opie
      (42 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...