IGNORED

2018 The PLAYERS Championship

Zeph
Note: This thread is 2163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Not really

I’m just belly aching overall ..but for accuracy, yes really. It’s impossible to make birdie if you hit the ball in the water. Lying one with a 30’ for birdie is much better odds than impossible.

Now the real issue is I just didn’t agree with Tiger’s club choice. I agree he was actually thinking he could win. I was wanting a second place finish as I didn’t think Webb was gonna faulter enough.

You can go for the pin with just about any club. Going for the pin didn’t mean he absolutely had to hit SW.

I’m thinking ‘what’s the right club to give me the best chance at hitting it close for birdie but without risking a disaster?’

Even Spieth called it an ‘aggressive shot.’

I fully accept I could be totally wrong here.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’m just belly aching overall ..but for accuracy, yes really. It’s impossible to make birdie if you hit the ball in the water. Lying one with a 30’ for birdie is much better odds than impossible.

Aims at Pin

60% Chance in Water
10% Birdie
30% Par

Aims middle of the Green

40% Chance Water
2% Chance Birdie
2% Chance Bogie
56% Chance Par

Which wins him the tournament when Simpson is at -19 when Tiger tees off on 17, and Tiger is at -13? 

6 strokes back? Does Tiger have a shot going par birdie and getting to -14? Does he have a better shot getting to -15, and maybe Simpson blows up. I doubt Simpson gives back 6 strokes on 17 and 18. Maybe 4 strokes. 

Best chance of winning the tournament is a birdie birdie finish. The best odds for this is to go at that pin. Maybe SW was the wrong club, but the line he hit was the correct one. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Regardless of who the caddie could be, Tiger made a mistake. You’re making assumptions that Stevie or name your “better caddie” would’ve said something differently. Caddies are very helpful to the pro game. I’m not denying that. I think a lot of people on here are just taking it a bit too far with the case with Tiger without any real knowledge of the inner workings of the relationship. Too much arm chair quarterbacking. Tiger has Joe for a reason and I think it’s working. Tiger shot the best round he’s ever shot at the players with a “not so good caddie.” Unless you’re behind the ropes with them I don’t think we can judge what’s going on with them. To me, Tiger just isn’t executing. It’s not a caddie issue and I don’t think he would make that kind of excuse. It’s down to him not executing plain and simple. At the end of the day, it’s down to ME as a player what I produce. In actual team sports, a coach can only do so much, but it comes down to execution by the players. Same for Tiger. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Aims at Pin

60% Chance in Water
10% Birdie
30% Par

Aims middle of the Green

40% Chance Water
2% Chance Birdie
2% Chance Bogie
56% Chance Par

Which wins him the tournament when Simpson is at -19 when Tiger tees off on 17, and Tiger is at -13? 

6 strokes back? Does Tiger have a shot going par birdie and getting to -14? Does he have a better shot getting to -15, and maybe Simpson blows up. I doubt Simpson gives back 6 strokes on 17 and 18. Maybe 4 strokes. 

Best chance of winning the tournament is a birdie birdie finish. The best odds for this is to go at that pin. Maybe SW was the wrong club, but the line he hit was the correct one. 

I agree the line was best. Undecided on the SW as the right club. I just hated to see that beautiful -14 dwindle down. I bet if Tiger had made birdie on 17 he would’ve been on fire! Webb would’ve actually been nervous I think.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

I'll talk about what 85% of what should have been the contents of this thread..........the winner.

People get to talk about whatever they'd like to talk about.

Tiger moves the needle.

Webb doesn't.

8 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

You’re making assumptions that Stevie or name your “better caddie” would’ve said something differently.

Not really, no. There's a long history of seeing how different caddies interact and behave. Stevie and Joey are very different caddies.

8 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I think a lot of people on here are just taking it a bit too far with the case with Tiger without any real knowledge of the inner workings of the relationship.

Then post in the other topic. I already linked to it.

It's also inaccurate to say that I don't have "any real knowledge" of the inner workings. I don't know everything, but I know what I've seen, in person, on TV, and I can compare that to what I've seen many times with Stevie.

You may not know things, but that doesn't mean everyone else doesn't know also.

But… again…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, sheepdog said:

Just like around here, Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, hey guys Webb Simpson won yet it's all about Tiger. Hey he got wet at 17, so what. Simpson got wet on 18, made double bogey and still won by 4. That should be the story.

Start a "catch-all" thread about Webb Simpson and watch it flourish ;-)

Shortest driver all week. Plays great golf. Wins. One of the most insipid and boring characters on tour. It's not about the win. Congratulations to him, but people took up golf because of Tiger and they're excited about his current play. Even when he wins, Simpson (and players like him) turn people away from the game because he makes it look like it's for old people who are not athletic. That's not his (or his bank manager's) problem. Good luck to him. It's not about who wins, it's about what excites people.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Tiger moves the needle.

Webb's wife can move the needle. Wow, he did well for himself.

3 hours ago, Shorty said:

Start a "catch-all" thread about Webb Simpson and watch it flourish ;-)

Shortest driver all week. Plays great golf. Wins. One of the most insipid and boring characters on tour. It's not about the win. Congratulations to him, but people took up golf because of Tiger and they're excited about his current play. Even when he wins, Simpson (and players like him) turn people away from the game because he makes it look like it's for old people who are not athletic. That's not his (or his bank manager's) problem. Good luck to him. It's not about who wins, it's about what excites people.

And I don't like Webb's beard. He looked homeless. 😃

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

And I don't like Webb's beard. He looked homeless. 😃

Yeah ....but a real dapper dan compared to Fleetwood...criminey! I swear I gave some money to Fleetwood at a 7-11 recently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah ....but a real dapper dan compared to Fleetwood...criminey! I swear I gave some money to Fleetwood at a 7-11 recently. 

Dude! That is the Rock 'n Roll look!  If he grows a beard, he'll look like Mick Fleetwood. BTW, what he has for facial hair does not qualify.

"I'm with the band".

Mick Fleetwood.jpgTommy Fleetwood.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

Webb's wife can move the needle. Wow, he did well for himself.

2018.....really?

21 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Dude! That is the Rock 'n Roll look!  If he grows a beard, he'll look like Mick Fleetwood. BTW, what he has for facial hair does not qualify.

"I'm with the band".

Mick Fleetwood.jpgTommy Fleetwood.jpg

Yeah but Fleetwood’s beard Is patchy and unkept...Mick has it going on. Tommy? Just an adolescent mess.

39 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah but Fleetwood’s beard Is patchy and unkept...Mick has it going on. Tommy? Just an adolescent mess.

unkempt. Just sayin...:-)

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I'm hanging out in Brooklyn too much, the beards barely registered with me. You call that a beard? This is a beard.

Did anyone mention Webb is dead last in driving distance among those that made the cut? That's what I recall the NoLayingUp podcast saying. If that's right, that's awesome, good to see a shorter hitter win over the bombers, granted, the course helped.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

15 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Did anyone mention Webb is dead last in driving distance among those that made the cut? That's what I recall the NoLayingUp podcast saying. If that's right, that's awesome, good to see a shorter hitter win over the bombers, granted, the course helped.

The course is only 7200 yards. Water drains so well down there, the courses tend to play fast.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

22 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I guess I'm hanging out in Brooklyn too much, the beards barely registered with me. You call that a beard? This is a beard.

I played a Pete Dye course in Columbus, OH last summer from the blue tees and maybe took my driver our a couple of times and I am not a long hitter. I good drive  for me is 235 to 240 carry. I shot a 75, which is extremely good for me. It was all about  placement. I studied Google maps and figured out a game plan that worked very well for me. Once my hosts convinced me to take out driver on a short par 5 and I pulled it into some rough near some trees, but was able to make par.

Edited by Carl3
typos

Note: This thread is 2163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!