IGNORED

Chicken Wings?

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 2136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 5/8/2018 at 8:43 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

I too am a fan of a few wings a good beer. But the wings i make are the best ones I've had. They're (more or less) the only wings i eat. The prep work is a little annoying, but the payoff is great. 

What i do is try to get the skin as dry as possible by putting them uncovered on a baking rack in the fridge overnight. I usually coat them with a little baking soda and sea salt beforehand, but its not necessary.  Then i bake them in the oven for 35-40 minutes at 400. They taste much better and are crisper than deep fried IMO. And a healthier, too. I use two types of sauce to toss them - a typical franks red hot buffalo sauce with a little extra fresh ground pepper, and my garlic parmesan mix. I literally just toss any powdered parmesan with some garlic powder and pepper in a bowl. I use a tiny bit of olive oil cut with apple cider vinegar as a binder with the sauce, but it tastes great with melted butter too. As everything does..

I'm a big fan of baking wings with a good dry rub. I mix a little bit of baking powder in with the dry rubs and that helps to crisp them up too. 

On 5/8/2018 at 10:21 AM, jamo said:

There's a place near Hartford, Connecticut called J. Timothy's that I saw on a few "best wings in the country" lists. I've been there a few times and can verify that they're the best I've had. I've also been to a place in Greenport, New York, on Long Island called Salamander's that has probably the second best wings I've had.

I've never been to Wingstop but my favorite chain restaurant wings are at Wings Over. Their boneless wings are awesome.

@jamo Where in CT are you? I'm in MA now but grew up in Tolland, there's a great wing place in Coventry - Bidwell Tavern.

I'll have to check out Salamander's when I'm out in LI in a few weeks, where in Greenport is it? Claudio's is our usual spot to hit up right in Greenport. I have family in Orient and East Marion so I'm out that way at least a few times a year. If you like good beer you should hit up Greenport Harbor Brewing next time you're out there, they've got a great setup. 

Bidwell Tavern in Coventry, CT has great wings, they have like 30 different rubs and sauces to choose from. Enrico's in Sturbridge, MA has really good brick oven wings and Smokestack BBQ in Worcester has awesome smoked wings. 

57 minutes ago, badfish said:

@jamo Where in CT are you? I'm in MA now but grew up in Tolland, there's a great wing place in Coventry - Bidwell Tavern.

I'll have to check out Salamander's when I'm out in LI in a few weeks, where in Greenport is it? Claudio's is our usual spot to hit up right in Greenport. I have family in Orient and East Marion so I'm out that way at least a few times a year. If you like good beer you should hit up Greenport Harbor Brewing next time you're out there, they've got a great setup. 

I live in Norwich and work in New London, so Coventry isn't too bad. I'll have to check it out.

Salamander's is right on Front st in the same building as Arcade, just around the corner from Claudio's. IIRC think they have a bar you can walk right up to from the sidewalk or you can walk in and sit down.

I've never been to Greenport Harbor Brewing but I'll be taking the New London-Orient ferry and staying in Cutchogue next weekend for the US Open, so I'll be passing right through. I'll have to check it out.

1 hour ago, badfish said:

Bidwell Tavern in Coventry, CT has great wings, they have like 30 different rubs and sauces to choose from. Enrico's in Sturbridge, MA has really good brick oven wings and Smokestack BBQ in Worcester has awesome smoked wings. 

I've been to Smokestack in Worcester but I haven't had the wings. Never been to Enrico's.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Wing House had the best wings in FL IMO. Here in Ohio, I have to go with Roosters, although I had some Friday night a 571 Grill in New Carlisle. They marinate them overnight, then rub and smoke them for 3.5 hours. I tried the sweet habenero sauce, and it was AWESOME!  Hinders (think Hooters but reversed) in Tipp City has really good wings too.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!