IGNORED

Poll: Who is #3?

turtleback
Note: This thread is 1816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who is #3?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. If we accept the premise that Jack and Tiger occupy the first 2 places on the all-time list, who is third on the list?

• Ben Hogan
    • Gary Player
    • Phil Mickelson
    • Tom Watson
    • Arnold Palmer
    • Sam Snead
    • Byron Nelson
    • Bobby Jones
    • Other (please specify)

I didn't vote but I'd vote Tiger Woods.Hogan to me is the best followed by Nicklaus.Personally believe if Hogan wasn't in accident then Jacks majors record would've been in jeopardy.I know you gotta go by facts that happened but I go with what I believe.

• 9 months later...

Assuming that Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods are vying for the best ever title...who is number three?  Among the candidates are Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Arnold Palmer, Ben Hogan, and Harry Vardon.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Piz said:

Among the candidates are Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Arnold Palmer, Ben Hogan, and Harry Vardon.  

Any particular reason you left Snead off your list?

I'm not saying I think Snead is #3, but if you include Walter Hagen and Harry Vardon as candidates, Snead should be on that same list too, IMO

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I'd say Hogan. 9 majors and owned his swing like a boss.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

6 minutes ago, klineka said:

Any particular reason you left Snead off your list?

I'm not saying I think Snead is #3, but if you include Walter Hagen and Harry Vardon as candidates, Snead should be on that same list too, IMO

That's why I said "among".  Sam Snead is certainly worthy of consideration.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

As of when, today - too hard to tell, because you have to discount those still playing - especially those early in their career.

The game has changed so much over the ages, from when the likes of Hagen and Sarazen played, to Snead, Hogan and Palmer, someone like Player brought an international element. But who is to say it isn't going to be someone still actively playing, a few short years ago there were people talking about Spieth, and recently Koepka would have been a flavor of the year; maybe it is Phil, look what he has done while competing against the GOAT.

Hogan is a good choice, Snead, Hagen - all might have been considered the GOAT during their prime.

I think this is a cute thread that will play out in about 1/250 the pages of the Tiger <> Jack thread.

Players play, tough players win!

I am not sure there is a solid number three. You could ask top five, top ten and you still would get 15 or so players over the years past. My answer would be either Hogan or Snead. But then again there are probably 3 or 4 others who could be mentioned. 

I'd say Hogan.   But, Tom Watson really should be amongst the candidates here.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Who was the GOAT before Jack?  Was there a GOAT before Jack?  Perhaps there isn't a GOAT...just a succession of GATT's.  (Greatest At The Time)

In der bag:

• Administrator

Phil.

We have this topic already. I’ll have someone merge it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, Piz said:

Assuming that Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods are vying for the best ever title...who is number three?  Among the candidates are Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Arnold Palmer, Ben Hogan, and Harry Vardon.  

Great minds travel similar paths.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Phil, and IMO it isn't even particularly close.  And I'm not sure, but I think Vijay would be my #4.

I wonder if this agrees with my answer when I first started this thread, as I haven't looked back to see.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

On 4/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, Piz said:

Who was the GOAT before Jack?  Was there a GOAT before Jack?  Perhaps there isn't a GOAT...just a succession of GATT's.  (Greatest At The Time)

You kind of read my mind. In a game where guys started out with hickory shafted clubs and featherie or gutta percha balls, to where we are now, I don't think you can have a GOAT! I think you can only have a GOTT. Greatest of Their Time! 

Note: This thread is 1816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!