IGNORED

Closed Courses You Formerly Played

We just got a consultant's report that advises the City to shut Kittyhawk's Falcon Course.  It's a 3,758 yard executive course with eight holes over 200 yards and a legitimately tough 400-yard, dogleg 18th hole. Being the City's only executive course, it gets the short end of the maintenance budget but the traffic isn't usually too bad out there. An older friend of mine and I have played a lot of golf here. 

Hope it can be saved, but it isn't looking good.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, tehuti said:

I liked playing there so....

Laughing.  I liked playing there, and at 29 Palms too.  Even bad golf is good when it’s the only game in town!  :beer:

Did you ever play Yuma?  I wonder if it’s still around...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

So many courses have closed and are closing in South Florida.  It's very depressing because, once a course is gone, it's gone forever.  I'm wondering if courses in Great Britain are closing as well?  What about Canada?  Or is this just a U.S phenomenon?

There is my old course Greene Country Club that closed abruptly. I had a VLOG on YouTube, but I don't see it there anymore. ???

Next there is Penn Terra GC in Lewisburg, OH. It was a goat track, but there was a plaque honoring my grandpa on the 6th hole. I am hoping that my aunt retrieved it before they closed.

- Shane

12 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

There is my old course Greene Country Club that closed abruptly. I had a VLOG on YouTube, but I don't see it there anymore. ???

From what I understand the restaurant there is still open and they are still doing weddings out of that place.

Kind of wonder what the course looks like now.

Edited by mcanadiens

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

From what I understand the restaurant there is still open and they are still doing weddings out of that place.

Kind of wonder what the course looks like now.

It looks like wilderness...

- Shane

19 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Next there is Penn Terra GC in Lewisburg, OH. It was a goat track, but there was a plaque honoring my grandpa on the 6th hole. I am hoping that my aunt retrieved it before they closed.

Me too. Otherwise there is a condo built over it. 300 years from now an archaeologist will find it.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:42 PM, gbogey said:

Don't know what's going on around here but it was announced that another course is going up for auction in two weeks.  Surprising because this course had a lot of play, at least on weekends, and wasn't one I thought would be endangered.  Does anyone know how many rounds a public course needs to be healthy?  One article I read said that lower fee courses (under $40) are the ones most likely to go out of business.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that the owners had grown old and wished to retire. Or, were younger, and wished to move on to new things. It doesn't really matter. Land is valuable. I've experienced this with any number of businesses that I was fond of. 

There was a former outdoor store, that I bought from all the time in that same boat, and couldn't find anyone to keep it going. They sold out to folks who turned it into a carpet store! The carpet store is still there to this day, at least 30 years later. Eventually, they will go the way of the outdoor store! 

Shawnee State Park Golf Course - Portsmouth, OH

Waverly Golf Club - Waverly, OH

Running Fox/River's Edge Golf Course - Chillicothe, OH

Caddy's Memorial Golf Course - Chillicothe, OH

War Eagle!

I remember the old Los Alamitos Golf Course near the race track in Los Alamitos, CA. I don’t remember when it closed, but it sat idle for quit a while before being bought and reopened as Cypress GC. Cypress was a very nice public course but I guess they couldn’t turn a profit and closed in 2004.

• 3 weeks later...

South Florida (Broward County) has been hit hard by real estate conversions.  I guess Rodney Dangerfield's line fro Caddie shack has some merit.  "Golf Courses and Cemeteries are the biggest wasted of prime real estate". 😧

Broken Woods Country Club (Coral Spring's) where I got my start in golf by working in the pro shop is now a residential community.  The Carolina Club is over grown by weeds (i worked in the bag room there while in college).  even the local par three course owned by the city in Margate, (where i first hit a ball on the course) is now an empty lot waiting to be developed.  there are so many more courses in this area that have suffered a similar fate.  So many memories as a kid were made on these courses.  

On 3/2/2020 at 11:20 PM, StevenB said:

South Florida (Broward County) has been hit hard by real estate conversions.  I guess Rodney Dangerfield's line fro Caddie shack has some merit.  "Golf Courses and Cemeteries are the biggest wasted of prime real estate". 😧

Broken Woods Country Club (Coral Spring's) where I got my start in golf by working in the pro shop is now a residential community.  The Carolina Club is over grown by weeds (i worked in the bag room there while in college).  even the local par three course owned by the city in Margate, (where i first hit a ball on the course) is now an empty lot waiting to be developed.  there are so many more courses in this area that have suffered a similar fate.  So many memories as a kid were made on these courses.  

How well I know of what you speak.  It's very sad.  Regarding the Carolina Club:  I thought they had closed for renovation and are now back in business.  Is this not so?  If Plantation Preserve ever closes, I'll really be angry!  Same with Emerald Hills.  I even heard that Inverrary may close.  All these closings makes me sick, quite frankly.

On 3/2/2020 at 11:20 PM, StevenB said:

Inverrary is closing in June 2020.

Woodlands is also closing June 2020.

HeronBay is basically closed ad ClubLink wont spend any money in there.....stinks because I also live in the area.

13 hours ago, DonRSD said:

Inverrary is closing in June 2020.

Woodlands is also closing June 2020.

HeronBay is basically closed ad ClubLink wont spend any money in there.....stinks because I also live in the area.

So sad that South Florida Golf has suffered such casualties. 

On 3/4/2020 at 12:39 AM, Herkimer said:

How well I know of what you speak.  It's very sad.  Regarding the Carolina Club:  I thought they had closed for renovation and are now back in business.  Is this not so?  If Plantation Preserve ever closes, I'll really be angry!  Same with Emerald Hills.  I even heard that Inverrary may close.  All these closings makes me sick, quite frankly.

Right now.   Carolina only has the driving range open.  The golf course is closed.  They are forced to maintain it at a minimum, but not to a playable standard.  There is a big dispute between the owners of the club and the community regarding a land deal for development.  I really don't know the details, but it has been going on for some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/10/2020 at 6:38 AM, David in FL said:

Laughing.  I liked playing there, and at 29 Palms too.  Even bad golf is good when it’s the only game in town!  :beer:

Did you ever play Yuma?  I wonder if it’s still around...

Nope. Just El Toro, Navy (Destroyer) in Cypress and March AFB (General Old). I also used to play a little par 3 course on the Navy Recruit Training Center base in Point Loma back in the 90s. I forget the name.

Not really golf courses but a few driving ranges in Tampa have closed up the past few years. It's sucks because the golf course where the golf team plays (that I coach) doesn't have a range so we basically are now reduced to hitting balls into a net. Kinda hard to get a good sense of where the ball is going when hitting into a net. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I only listed courses I played more than once.  There are a lot more closures I could name that I only played one time.

Texas National – Greater Houston area

River Ridge – Greater Houston area

Stephen F Austin – Greater Houston area

Kingwood Cove – Greater Houston area

Willowisp Country Club – Greater Houston area

Bluebonnet Country – Navasota TX

The Falls – New Ulm TX

Treeline Golf Club – Tomball TX

Pecan Valley – San Antonio TX

Tuckaway Golf Club – Oneonta Alabama

North Birmingham Golf Course -= Birmingham Alabama

Gator Hole – Myrtle Beach area

Belle Terre – Myrtle Beach area

Indian Wells – Myrtle Beach area

Bay Tree Green/Gold/Silver – Myrtle Beach area

Heather Glen – Myrtle Beach area

Possum Trot – Myrtle Beach area

Deer Track – Myrtle Beach area

Robbers Roost – Myrtle Beach area

Island Green – Myrtle Beach area

Wicked Stick – Myrtle Beach area

Waterway Hills – Myrtle Beach area

Wildwing Wood Stork – Myrtle Beach area

Wildwing Hummingbird – Myrtle Beach area

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• 1 month later...

Well, I saw I posted on this discussion two years ago. I'm sad to see it's still happening. I used to play a lot in the Myrtle Beach area. I didn't realize all the courses listed by RickK , many of which I've played, were gone. I worry that what we're experiencing now with the pandemic will only make things worse.  Golf is very expensive and it any dip (or dive) in the economy adversely affects the game. I've been told by people in the business that the only growth is (or was) in Asia. In fact, I cannot think of even one new course here in NC. except for the nine hole short course in Pinehurst called The Cradle built a couple of years ago.