IGNORED

Closed Courses You Formerly Played

We can add 3 more courses to @mcanadiens post from February. Madden, Hawk, and Eagle all gone. Played them lots last year, and a decent amount before covid. Now they are gone forevermore.

Edited by Bonvivant
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

We can add 3 more courses to @mcanadiens post from February. Madden, Hawk, and Eagle all gone. Played them lost last year, and a decent amount before covid. Now they are gone forevermore.

Also the Falcon which is a par 3 course. That’s 72 holes gone in our city. 

- Shane

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

Also the Falcon which is a par 3 course. That’s 72 holes gone in our city. 

That's why I mentioned the posts from February. I guess it wasn't official then, but it is now.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

28 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

That's why I mentioned the posts from February. I guess it wasn't official then, but it is now.

Sadly it is. I’m about to post a blog as a tribute to them. 

• Like 1

- Shane

The only one I can think of where I played is Sable Oaks Golf Club in South Portland, Maine. Played there once with @boogielicious and @Valleygolfer.

Oak Ridge Golf Course was right by my house, but I never played there. It’s been Oak Ridge Park since 2009.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 3/11/2020 at 8:19 AM, Bucki1968 said:

Not really golf courses but a few driving ranges in Tampa have closed up the past few years. It's sucks because the golf course where the golf team plays (that I coach) doesn't have a range so we basically are now reduced to hitting balls into a net. Kinda hard to get a good sense of where the ball is going when hitting into a net. 

What Tampa area courses have closed please?

On 3/11/2020 at 8:19 AM, Bucki1968 said:

Not really golf courses but a few driving ranges in Tampa have closed up the past few years. It's sucks because the golf course where the golf team plays (that I coach) doesn't have a range so we basically are now reduced to hitting balls into a net. Kinda hard to get a good sense of where the ball is going when hitting into a net. 

What school do you coach?  I grew up in Tampa.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Some courses have been mentioned, but these are the courses I have played that have since closed

California

Escondido CC

Nevada

Craig Ranch

Black Mountain

Wisconsin

Irish Hills

Maple Grove

Hillcrest CC

Rainbow Springs

Riverbend

Veterans Memorial

Texas

Padre Isle

Minnesota

Valley View

Florida

Bay Beach

Arizona

Riverview

Point at South Mountain

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 10:50 PM, bwdial said:

What school do you coach?  I grew up in Tampa.

Sorry haven’t been on here in ages. I’m chamberlain golf coach. Closed range in temple terrace and the on in north Tampa. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

19 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Sorry haven’t been on here in ages. I’m chamberlain golf coach. Closed range in temple terrace and the on in north Tampa. 

Cool.  I grew up in Tampa and went to Jefferson.  I am currently teaching 8th grade Social Studies in the metro Atlanta area, but I am looking to move to high school and trying to coach golf.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

West End Golf Club in Gainesville Florida closed recently. This course was a lighted par 60 with great practice areas! It was so easily accessible since it was lighted and had tons of driving range space! I had my first lesson here and spent a lot of time there at the driving range and practice greens!

Article here for anyone who wants to read. West End Fades Away

:titleist:

:tmade:

The International in Bolton, Mass closed this year. A real tragedy, was two outstanding tracks. The owners just grabbed the money from the deposits for functions (it was a big wedding venu) and locked the doors. Hopefully someone buys it, I know it's driving a lot of members to my club. 

The two most popular public golf courses in my area of the Philly burbs, Center Square and Limekiln, are now becoming large residential developments. 

Bill M

• 2 months later...

On July 21st we played the Foxfire Golf Club in Lockbourne, OH.  Today I received an email from them saying the Foxfire Course was closed permanently, although the Players Club at Foxfire is still open.

War Eagle!

• 1 month later...

A couple of local courses closed or will be closing.  The Golf Club at Mount Brighton, a public course laid out on and near a local ski area, closed this year.  The course was less than 20 years old.  It originally opened with much fanfare as "The Jackal". The new owner (same group that owns Vail ski area) decided to focus on skiing.  I played the course only twice over the years and was not excited about the layout.  I never like seeing a course close but this one won't be missed too much.

Salem Hills, a fixture locally since 1963, announced it will close in October.  The family that owned the course did not want to invest the money to upgrade the infrastructure   There is no buyer currently.  I have played this course off and on for 40 years.  I suspect it will become a housing development.  I hope I am wrong.

I have to smile about one occurrence years ago.  A foursome of Japanese players was ahead of us one day.  We all ended up waiting on the 11th tee (very tough hole and always backed up).  When they finally were able to tee off, the last member of the foursome scuffed his tee shot and it went about 50 yards, stopping on the forward tee.  One of the group's members turned to us, smiled and said, "Straight ... but not very far".  We all had a good laugh and we always re-used that phrase when we would duff a shot.

Brian Kuehn

In a few days the once “Toughest course in the country” Koolau golf course will be closed, last day 9/30 think I’ll save myself from losing so many golf balls and go play the Turtle Bay Palmer course. 
Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

• 1 year later...

High Pointe in Williamsburg, MI (Doak's 1st design). Front 9 is a hop farm and I think 18 is gone (no big loss there), but some of the back nine is just grown over.

Eaglemont in Mount Vernon, WA.  A beautiful and challenging course with almost never a level lie... other than the greens.  Power carts were required and added (lightly) into the greens fee.  Spectacular clubhouse perched on a mountain top with distant views, with one of the best bar & grills I've ever told tall tales in.  Only drawback was the back 9 with too much housing.  There are rumors it might re-open, under new ownership.  The pro there was pretty good, too.