IGNORED

Closed Courses You Formerly Played

• Administrator

There was a course called Highlander here in Edinboro, PA. And Thunder Hill in Ohio that we played in a long-ago Newport Cup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Skamania Lodge in Stevenson WA.  It was a trainwreck of a course...scenically beautifully but all but unplayable. The tree-lined fairways were so narrow they literally had a suggestion on the card that, if you lost one in the woods, drop within one club length of where it went in and play from there with a one stroke penalty. I am no expert on the rules of golf but...that was probably a good suggestion for most people that played it. One of my friends once, in a 2-man scramble, lost 23 balls...it was a gorgeous course but by me at least will not be missed. 

I count 17 of 140 courses on my list of played courses that are now closed.  Ten of the 17 closed are in Arizona where the course better be good to continue pouring irrigation resources into it.  Am disappointed in only 3 or 4 of the closed closed.  The rest of them were mostly unremarkable.  The most disappointing is an 18 hole executive course that I grew up playing and working at.

Two or three of the closed courses had new golf courses built on top of the old golf course remains.

John

39 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

I count 17 of 140 courses on my list of played courses that are now closed.  Ten of the 17 closed are in Arizona where the course better be good to continue pouring irrigation resources into it.  Am disappointed in only 3 or 4 of the closed closed.  The rest of them were mostly unremarkable.  The most disappointing is an 18 hole executive course that I grew up playing and working at.

Two or three of the closed courses had new golf courses built on top of the old golf course remains.

The par 3 executive course in St. Louis where I first played the game of golf was closed, and replaced by a shopping center.  The regulation course in Hawaii where I made my only hole-in-one was closed and there is now a condo built over the 9th green and the hole that my ball went into.

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

… there is now a condo built over the 9th green and the hole that my ball went into.

One of my favorite local courses to the Fredericksburg VA area was called Cannon Ridge. It was an awesome course. Sloped at around 141 from the Blues, it was fairly challenging, but strangely enough I had one of my best rounds there (75). My favorite part was the Zoysia fairways…I love Zoysia. They too sold out to a Senior community and now there is no more Zoysia 😫

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

The first club I (as opposed to being part of my parents family membership) was a member of appears to have either shut down or reduced in size.  I haven't been back to Mozambique in over 15 years so not entirely sure, but google mentions a 9 hole course.  We used to play an 18 hole course and there was a time in 2001 when a couple of holes were damaged thanks to a flood, but i remember playing the entire course post that.  This is the Maputo Golf Course in Maputo, Mozambique.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I live in Meriden Township which includes East Lansing, MI. In my area since 2000 we have lost three Lansing, MI municipal course (Red Cedar, Sycamore and Waverly). Also closed was the Players Club, Four Winds, Highland Hills and Chardell. One private course Walnut Hills Country Club.

9 minutes ago, chipper2 said:

I live in Meriden Township which includes East Lansing, MI. In my area since 2000 we have lost three Lansing, MI municipal course (Red Cedar, Sycamore and Waverly). Also closed was the Players Club, Four Winds, Highland Hills and Chardell. One private course Walnut Hills Country Club.

@chipper2 Are there any courses left???

We still have lots of courses in the area. Indian Hills, College fields, Forest Acres (East & West courses) Royal Scot, Meriden Sun, Lake of the Hills, Brookshire, Eagle View. El Dorado, Groesbeck, Oak Lawn, Timber Ridge, Wheatfield Valley and Eagle Eye.

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2020 at 12:41 PM, RickK said:

I only listed courses I played more than once.  There are a lot more closures I could name that I only played one time.

Texas National – Greater Houston area

River Ridge – Greater Houston area

Stephen F Austin – Greater Houston area

Kingwood Cove – Greater Houston area

Willowisp Country Club – Greater Houston area

Bluebonnet Country – Navasota TX

The Falls – New Ulm TX

Treeline Golf Club – Tomball TX

Pecan Valley – San Antonio TX

Tuckaway Golf Club – Oneonta Alabama

North Birmingham Golf Course -= Birmingham Alabama

Gator Hole – Myrtle Beach area

Belle Terre – Myrtle Beach area

Indian Wells – Myrtle Beach area

Bay Tree Green/Gold/Silver – Myrtle Beach area

Heather Glen – Myrtle Beach area

Possum Trot – Myrtle Beach area

Deer Track – Myrtle Beach area

Robbers Roost – Myrtle Beach area

Island Green – Myrtle Beach area

Wicked Stick – Myrtle Beach area

Waterway Hills – Myrtle Beach area

Wildwing Wood Stork – Myrtle Beach area

Wildwing Hummingbird – Myrtle Beach area

I can add a few more to my list in the Myrtle Beach area...

Farmstead (had a par6 that crossed from South Carolina into North Carolina)

The Witch

Wild Wing Falcon - final 9 holes that did not close originally.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the other side of the pond to most of you, but I did play at Naarderbos in the Netherlands which has closed down. 

It was quite a nice course, so it's sad it was closed (due to a financial disagreement between owners and the people running the course).

cheers Chris

Shadow Pines in Penfield, NY.  Loved that course (worked there a couple summers during college), played it all the time.  Front and back were very different layouts.  If I had $100M in the bank, I’d definitely put in and raise to open it back up.

Webster West in Webster, NY.  Short course, but tons of fun.

Wingpointe in SLC, UT.  Was my favorite course in UT, had a links feel to it.  Closed down to issues with the lease and the airport.

Riverside Golf Course near Ferndale, Wa. It was a 9 hole course and part of it was along the Nooksack River. When the river flooded in the winter, one or two holes would be under water. It also had a hole where the green was right next to the drive-up window of a Dairy Queen. There was netting but it wasn't always high enough to keep golf balls from, occasionally, landing on a car or the structure. Fun hole!!  :whistle:

(edited)
On 1/13/2022 at 8:52 PM, chipper2 said:

I live in Meriden Township which includes East Lansing, MI. In my area since 2000 we have lost ... one private course Walnut Hills Country Club.

I think I was there for an LPGA event years ago.  Seemed like it had been there a long time but times change.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

I live and play mostly in Central Texas. I've seen several municipal courses close, and some new private or semi-private courses pop up.

The most iconic course I've played that later closed was Pecan Valley in San Antonio.  It hosted the PGA Championship in 1968,  Texas Open from 1967-1970. I didn't realize the last time I played there, it would close within 6 months, around 2012.

Luis

On 5/15/2018 at 10:00 AM, DaveP043 said:

I can think of five right off the top of my head, including two that were among the first I ever played.    Most (Pinecrest 1 and 2 and Cedar Crest CC in Fairfax County, VA, Cheviot Hills north of Raleigh NC) have been closed for a couple of decades, in every case for more lucrative development.  The most recent, Goose Creek near Leesburg, VA, just closed over the winter to make way for new housing.  

I have played all except Cedar Crest. Wake Forest CC, a few miles past Cheviot Hills, is closed, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Elkins Ranch GC in Fillmore, CA, recently closed about a year or two ago.  It wasn't a prime course, but it had some character to it.  It used to be one of the weekend choice to get on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 9:21 PM, iacas said:

There was a course called Highlander here in Edinboro, PA. And Thunder Hill in Ohio that we played in a long-ago Newport Cup.

Thunder Hill. Had forgot about that place. Played it a couple times in the summer junior tour I was part of. Lot of water from what I remember. 

Memorable course for me that closed just a few years ago was Hawthorne Valley CC in Solon, OH. Donald Ross design. I caddied there for around 10 years through HS and college. Was a solid track, and was nice to get all the free golf we wanted on Mondays. Just don't hit the owner as he drove the course in his Cadillac, lol. 

Not a super long course, but required a good bit of careful position play off the tee. In spite of playing literally hundreds of rounds there, the best I think I could muster was a 68 once. Lots of good memories.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X