IGNORED

2018 AT&T Byron Nelson

DeadMan
Note: This thread is 2160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Nelson used to be one of the premier Tour events on the schedule.  It used to draw a strong field, and when I first moved to North Texas 21-22 years ago it was hard to get tickets to this tournament.  It was THE place to be.  But yeah, since Lord Byron passed away a lot of marquee players skip this event now.  I know a lot of players didn't really care for The TPC @ Las Colinas, so hopefully the new venue will breathe some new life into this tourney.

It's interesting that the new course is built on a landfill.  If anyone can turn a landfill into a good golf course it's Coore/Crenshaw.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just shows you how hard it is to make it out there. Can you imagine playing on Thursday and not really watching the leader board, shooting a 64 feeling damn good about your round...only to see you’re in 2nd and down by 3 strokes? Lol. Brutal.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

9 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

It's interesting that the new course is built on a landfill.  If anyone can turn a landfill into a good golf course it's Coore/Crenshaw.

Or Doak 😉 but yeah Coore/Crenshaw are the best duo out there right now for sure. I have a long list of their courses I wanna play. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

It used to draw a strong field, and when I first moved to North Texas 21-22 years ago it was hard to get tickets to this tournament.  It was THE place to be. 

I lived there from '93 - '99, and had some great times at the tournament - it was indeed THE place to be.  I went several years in a row, but don't remember actually watching any golf ... for my friends and I, it was all about hot chicks and the party in the tents.  Good times!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 9:48 PM, DeadMan said:

T I really hope the tour stays here for a couple of years and players have an open mind with it. It's going to be very different from normal courses, and there will be some complaining from the tour players. Hopefully that doesn't doom the event at this course.

Well, that is the new permanent home of the Bryon Nelson, so it will remain. No wind yesterday, so a lack of defense. All the links without the ocean. :-)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

7 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Well, that is the new permanent home of the Bryon Nelson, so it will remain. No wind yesterday, so a lack of defense. All the links without the ocean. :-) 

Yeah, but it won't last long if players hate the course. That said, I only heard about Kuchar complaining about the course yesterday, so that's good. Shame on Kuchar, though.

The real test will be to see who comes back next year to this course.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

3 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Yeah, but it won't last long if players hate the course. That said, I only heard about Kuchar complaining about the course yesterday, so that's good. Shame on Kuchar, though.

The real test will be to see who comes back next year to this course.

Kooch is still smarting from his Open loss last year on a links course... As to the course, before the tournament, all we (the locals) heard was that the pros who had played it, enjoyed it. But that changes at the tournament ... more players, different conditions.

But I think it's great that it changes things up ... just need our typical winds.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Marc Leishman continues to dazzle, will anybody catch him?

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Leishman (-15) will not be caught (not yet)

Aaron Wise shot an awesome 8 under 63 today (6 birdies, 1 eagle) to jump up to 2nd place (-14)

Brian Gay shot a sizzling 9 under 62 (10 birdies, 1 bogey) to jump into 3rd place (-13)

Martin Piller also shot a 63 today to jump into contention at -10; his wife is LPGA player Gerina Piller.

Don't you shank no more 

Wind is up today, as are scores.

Tomorrow's forecast is -- great scoring conditions. Hopefully overcome with flag placement.

Reading more about the tournament, it seems many players are staying at the Anatole, which is a huge hotel about 25 minutes away from the course.

It is very different than staying at the TPC Four Seasons, where players and their wives could leave the children in a kiddie activity center, the wife could follow her husband (with condolences to Lucas Glover), and could walk back to the hotel, have a lunch, spa, and enjoy herself. A player could practice, nap, and then get ready for a round. Four Seasons was more convenient and attractive as a venue even though the course was somewhat lacking - a partial redesign helped, but the budget was limited during the 2007 recession, and not enough was done - then you have all the houses surrounding that course.

Dallas just cannot get it right - it will take a few years. I searched for Trinity Forest Development and found nothing - until you make the place more accommodating to players and their families, I think this tourney will be a tough sell. And then there is its scheduling ... right after the Players this year, and next year, right before the PGA when it moves to May - this will be unsettling for several years.

Loving this new course and the way its playing. It's fascinating watching the shots these great players are hitting; landing it short and playing the contours. Imagination, skill, and patience are really being tested; i'm riveted to this. I love golf.

Don't you shank no more 

Wise caught Leishman at 17 under and they have a considerable lead over the pack. However, there are some players up to 5-6 shots back that could throw a 62, 63 up on the board and steal a win if the 2 leaders get stuck in neutral. What will happen? 

Don't you shank no more 

The 4 hour rain delay is killing me, throwing everything for a loop. I mean everything.

Don't you shank no more 

Monday, Monday -- We may just have to wait for that day!.

Did some reports early on say that Trinity Forest wouldn't be a pushover? Much of the scoring up to now would seem to say otherwise. Maybe it just caught Matt Kuchar in a bad hair moment!

LSW illustrated:

1st in strokes gained on approach

2nd in strokes gained off the tee

7th in strokes gained putting

IMG_5204.PNG

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I tuned in on Saturday and thought Aaron Wise was that young Aussie Cameron Smith at first.

On 5/17/2018 at 3:22 PM, rehmwa said:

Jiminez

I love his warm up routine.

15 hours ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

Monday, Monday -- We may just have to wait for that day!.

Did some reports early on say that Trinity Forest wouldn't be a pushover? Much of the scoring up to now would seem to say otherwise. Maybe it just caught Matt Kuchar in a bad hair moment!

Defenses are wind, huge undulating greens and uncertain bump and run results -- wind only blew one day. Lots of 3 putts all 4 days, but yesterday, not so many (at last count) due to wet conditions.

First year for course - they'll improve the event.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Note: This thread is 2160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!