IGNORED

12 HS players DQ’d from Tournament

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/12-high-schooler-golfers-disqualified-from-state-tournament-thanks-to-scorecard-error

Seem pretty careless to go by a yardage plate and not the color of the proper tees. Yes?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/12-high-schooler-golfers-disqualified-from-state-tournament-thanks-to-scorecard-error

Seem pretty careless to go by a yardage plate and not the color of the proper tees. Yes?

Yes. They should have played the blue tees. Yardages on scorecards are not to be trusted. They’re not what matter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The fault is ultimately with the players.

That said, why are there other tee markers on the course during the state golf tournament?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

22 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

That said, why are there other tee markers on the course during the state golf tournament?

I agree. And also second this question, I've never played in a high school tournament but during league play last year we only had one set of tee markers set up.

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

Yeah I’ve seen a few HS tournaments and don’t recall there being any other tees out there. However....damn, even if there were 5 sets....ya go to the blue tees. It seems like such a crazy error ...the tee box is the first thing I look for when going to the next hole. I wonder if this yardage plate was blue? Odd.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Was there a coach around some where? Agree, the youngsters are responsible. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Our high school tournaments always have multiple sets of tees out. Most courses ( around here anyway) aren't going to pick up all of the tee markers just for the high school tournaments because they still have members or paying customers that are going to be playing immediately afterwards. The players know what tees they are supposed to play from so it shouldn't matter whether there are other markers out there or not.

• Like 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

OSAA executive director Peter Weber told the Oregonian that players should have known to play from the blue tees.

"It is the first bullet point on the rules sheet," Weber said.

Yeah....the players were at fault here. No doubt about it. 

5 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Our high school tournaments always have multiple sets of tees out. Most courses ( around here anyway) aren't going to pick up all of the tee markers just for the high school tournaments because they still have members or paying customers that are going to be playing immediately afterwards. The players know what tees they are supposed to play from so it shouldn't matter whether there are other markers out there or not.

Well this was a state tournament and not just a local HS vs HS match.....

Who even looks at the yardages on the scorecard on a par 3? I am sure everyone will blame the Rules of Golf for this, but its the players fault 100%.

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

When I played in High School we were told the tees to play from.

I know some courses don't shut down for the day when they have a tournament there. I've seen special tees set up in addition to the normal tees, but I've never seen all the other tees taken off a course before.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm surprised 4 groups made the same mistake.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

45 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Who even looks at the yardages on the scorecard on a par 3? I am sure everyone will blame the Rules of Golf for this, but its the players fault 100%.

Yeah that’s what seems so bizarre. I just don’t see how 4 groups all walked to a tee box without blue tees and didn’t notice. What you said adds to that as well...score card yardage in a tournament? I’d like to hear from the players..

1 hour ago, TN94z said:

This is how I would view it.  It's not the PGA Tour... it's a high school tournament, even if it is a state competition.  It would certainly be very rare for any public access course to pick up all the other markers.  It was a pretty foolish mistake to make.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In this case it´s 100% players fault, and it´s really bizzare that 4 groups made the same stupid mistake. 

Last year here in Argentina I played an Official Am Tournament.
 First bullet point on the rules where to play from blue tees. I have the second tee-time for the day.
The first group teed-up from the white tee (shorter ones), because the starter told them to play from that spot, they did and walk away. A rules official saw this on the distance and ask advice from the commite of the tournament.
FinallyThe first group was asked to re-tee on the first hole from the blue tees, without penalty or DQ because the mistake was made by the starter.

:-$  That sucks.. 

Its hard to say without knowing the course. The blue tees on that hole could have been in an unusual place not easily seen on the walk up. Its not beyond tournament committees to make that kind of mistake and not put out tees on a hole. Ive seen it happen before. 

1 hour ago, krupa said:

I'm surprised 4 groups made the same mistake.

I'm not. HS golf tournaments are probably the slowest golf played in the country. The first group probably made the mistake and then told the second group about it as the second group walked up to the tee box, and it continued from there.

27 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

It would certainly be very rare for any public access course to pick up all the other markers.  It was a pretty foolish mistake to make.

I don't think that's true. I've been to a couple of HS golf tournaments in Colorado, and I never remember other tee markers being left out. I know that these tournaments generally play a mixture of tees (for girls, the front and second to front tees; for boys, the back and second to back tees), so it's generally much easier to only have one set of tees out. CGA events only put out one set of tees markers as well, and the same rules people do both events generally.

It probably depends on the course and the person/people running the event. But at the state tournament, which is a huge undertaking, get the other tees off the course.

None of this excuses the players, who should know better (and @iacas is absolutely correct, the yardages on the scorecards are meaningless). But committees have a responsibility to set up the course properly, and crap like this happens way too often in high school tournaments. Illegal drop zones, mismarked hazards, etc.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

20 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I don't think that's true. I've been to a couple of HS golf tournaments in Colorado, and I never remember other tee markers being left out. I know that these tournaments generally play a mixture of tees (for girls, the front and second to front tees; for boys, the back and second to back tees), so it's generally much easier to only have one set of tees out. CGA events only put out one set of tees markers as well, and the same rules people do both events generally.

It probably depends on the course and the person/people running the event. But at the state tournament, which is a huge undertaking, get the other tees off the course.

I've never seen a tournament, besides the PGA Tour that pull up the other tee markers. These high school events are always played at courses that allow other public play and they aren't going to pull tee markers only to have to immediately go out and put them back for the public. The New Mexico State Championships are played at course with 5 different tees, all those tee markers are out for both rounds. Heck I don't think they pulled the other tee markers for the New Mexico Open which is a professional event.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!