DogGolf92

Old good clubs vs Cheap starter clubs

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

To start off i am not a very good golfer. I got my first set of clubs about ten years ago but have only played a few times a year (if that some years). I had gotten a set of Acuity clubs as a gift. a very basic beginners set. They have done me well for what I know. I have recently bought a set of TaylorMade Burner Midsize irons. They are still in good shape and I got them for a good price off line. My question is: Is an 20 year old set of good TaylorMade clubs better than a ten year old set of Acuity clubs. I know these clubs are going to get me to the tour, but im hoping that they might help my game. Up for discussion. Just thought i would throw the question out there. 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

thanks @billchao This summer i hope to improve on my game. I picked these up thinking that i can only get better, especially with a good brand name. I did some research after i bought them and didn't realize how old they actually were. they are still in real good shape and i am happy with my find. looking forward to using them this weekend, weather permitting!

@DogGolf92  Do the irons look like this?

image.png.06bf01b5fcc7a08485b5148a4e1debdf.png

Might be 20+ years old but if they have good grooves and shafts they should be good for you.  If the grips are original, def re-grip.

TM had this to say about these irons:

"Featured a unique foam-filled club head for added weight distribution around the perimeter, we also enlarged the "sweet spot" for added forgiveness."

I have some old Pings from the 80's that I still play and are in great shape.

Edited by Vinny Cap

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@vinnycap these are them. dont have a picture of the grooves. I picked them up for a good price and then did research. felt like i could go wrong with a set of TM regardless of age, right?

00C0C_6Xvvsw11rXt_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_6dGelYjSM95_1200x900.jpg

24 minutes ago, DogGolf92 said:

@vinnycap these are them. dont have a picture of the grooves. I picked them up for a good price and then did research. felt like i could go wrong with a set of TM regardless of age, right?

Some will say you need the latest and greatest.  I don't have any issues with older clubs as long as they are quality clubs.  Grips and shafts can be changed out as your needs change.  If you are happy with what you paid for them and like them then go enjoy them.  They are prob way better that the other set you had.

Per TM they do have a larger sweet spot and added forgiveness so they should be no issues.  Once you do make the Tour, then you might upgrade to something newer.  :beer:

You have had them out to the range, right?  How are you hitting them?  Better than the other set?

Edited by Vinny Cap

13 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Some will say you need the latest and greatest.  I don't have any issues with older clubs as long as they are quality clubs.  Grips and shafts can be changed out as your needs change.  If you are happy with what you paid for them and like them then go enjoy them.  They are prob way better that the other set you had.

Per TM they do have a larger sweet spot and added forgiveness so they should be no issues.  Once you do make the Tour, then you might upgrade to something newer.  :beer:

You have had them out to the range, right?  How are you hitting them?  Better than the other set?

No not yet. i picked them up yesterday. due to work and rain i couldn't get to the range. I have a tee time set up for Saturday morning. so i will fill you in after that

I'd play which ever set I consistently scored the lowest with. Keep the other set as a back up set. My guess is the TMs' are the better quality set,  as I don't know anything about your other set.

You might want check the condition the grips are in with both sets. One set's grips could be in better shape than the other's. 

21 minutes ago, DogGolf92 said:

No not yet. i picked them up yesterday. due to work and rain i couldn't get to the range. I have a tee time set up for Saturday morning. so i will fill you in after that

Ahh, darn weather gods!  They always know when we get new sticks and proceed to make the sky open up on us!  Happened with 2 sets of my irons.  Had to wait days before trying them out.  AHHHHH!  Worst was a set I got a Christmas.... couldn't wait so about an hour later, I was hitting foam balls out of the snowbanks.  So much fun!

Good luck to you on Sat!  Hope ya hit em great and fill us in on how they did. :beer:

The search for that mysterious elusive perfect (or even great) club and then sneaking it home under cover of darkness is part of the great joy of golf! Good luck @DogGolf92 ! Best, -Marv

Getting a new set of clubs is just such an awesome experience. Hope you enjoy them and let us know! I’m impatiently waiting for September when Ping comes out with the i500! Shiny and new!